• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Alamein '42
12-02-2009, 06:28 AM,
RE: Alamein '42
Thanks to everyone for their help. Glenn, the designers notes are still up on your site so I just had a look at them there (no need for you to send me a copy but thanks for the offer anywaycheers).
.."A critical oversight that has led to yet another mouthful of poo." . Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe
Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2009, 07:29 AM,
Foul. Wrote:Your gonna love the Italians in C40.........;) :rolleyes:

The fighting chefs!

Actually, in one C40 scenario Siege of Bardia, IIRC, the Italians can win easily. SG and I might get around to putting in a HTH version next year if we get some time. It is a fun little gem, that needs some tweaking.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
12-02-2009, 08:14 AM,
Dog Soldier Wrote:Actually, in one C40 scenario Siege of Bardia, IIRC, the Italians can win easily. SG and I might get around to putting in a HTH version next year if we get some time. It is a fun little gem, that needs some tweaking.

Well, the Bardia scenario can always be tested in Foul's H2H and I will definitely change it according to any suggestions. :)
Send this user an email
12-02-2009, 12:33 PM,
Don't pick on the Escerito. I love playing them in C40, and historically they were not nearly as bad as the history books portray them to be. Their equipment was crap; their leadership like other nations a mixed bag; but their sailors and airmen were as brave as any, and some of their army units a match for any allied formation of comparable period in the war.
12-04-2009, 01:35 AM,
Volcano Man Wrote:
Dog Soldier Wrote:Actually, in one C40 scenario Siege of Bardia, IIRC, the Italians can win easily. SG and I might get around to putting in a HTH version next year if we get some time. It is a fun little gem, that needs some tweaking.

Well, the Bardia scenario can always be tested in Foul's H2H and I will definitely change it according to any suggestions. :)

Foul's HTH section was exactly where it will be done.

For starters, the Allied supply needs to be looked at in the case of explicit supply. The Australians had a tendency to run out before the end of the scenario. The CW could not make much more progress after that. In my runs against the AI this happens around the last three turns. Against a human opponent it can happen early on the last day.

The VC will need some change to reflect the loss of Bardia and the main command HQ. Once that event happened historically the battle was essentially over. Thus the CW should be at a major victory at that point or very close to such with some prisoner mopping up to do to achieve the MV. If the Italian garrison breaks out to make a run for Tobruk as they did historically, then a historical level of VP exited should result in a minor victory. More Italians exited than that and a draw can occur.

Currently, the Australians have a hard time plowing through the large numbers of Italians. The port is very tough to take as the CW troops have a hard time protecting their flanks as they drill into the garrison.

The naval units are one shot affairs. Something is wrong as the ships can not bombard the Italians to help the CW ground troops. One shot is all each ship can get before they are withdrawn.

The whole affair for the CW is like emptying a lake with a spoon. The Italians suffer horribly. The CW can not drive home the final attack to collect the prisoners they need or capture the port as they are a spent force for the last five to six turns. An explicit supply bump would help. Captured Italian supply did little but to forestall this event of the CW ending the game throwing rocks by about two turns.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp