• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Alamein '42
12-01-2009, 06:04 AM,
c_Question Mark  Alamein '42
I've had Tobruk '41 for a long time now & I'm considering picking up Alamein '42. I'd like to know what people think of it (Alamein '42). Is it similar to T'41; lots of movement or is it more static warfare?

Thanks for any help.:)
.."A critical oversight that has led to yet another mouthful of poo." . Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe
Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2009, 07:16 AM,
RE: Alamein '42
For starters,EA does not have the smaller scale units like T41,battalion level mostly.
I think there is a good mix of pre-Alamein scenarios that have more movement(and Gazala) while the actual ElAlamein battle scenarios are more of the slogging type.
Plus you get to capture Malta. Big Grin

Kuriltai
12-01-2009, 08:06 AM,
From players i have talked to Alamein is the more popular title which is a bit strange due to them being quite similar in terms of game play, although Kuriltai is correct there is some differences in the unit mix which gives Ea42 a different look if nothing else.

Good mix of scenarios and the invasion of Malta included. ;)
12-01-2009, 11:15 AM,
Both desert games have benefited from the changed ATG rules including increased disruption on hard targets and retreat from assault.

ATG's, properly placed and supported can have a channelizing effect on attacking armor.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
12-01-2009, 11:47 AM,
Kuriltai Wrote:For starters,EA does not have the smaller scale units like T41,battalion level mostly.

Kuriltai

While the units oob structure is not as detailed as T41, I don't think the part about "battalion level mostly" is accurate. If fact, with the exception of a few Allied Arty units with 16 guns being regiment size units, I wasn't able to spot any Btln units. Even the Italian Inf are company sized units.

What is correct it there are not a lot of 3 vehicle Armoured car units on theallied side, but there is German AC unist with as few as 4 vehicles.

....not wanting to split hairs here - just correcting the facts.

Gasbag - drop me a line and I'll send you a copy of the designer notes - this might help you a little.

Glenn
Send this user an email
12-01-2009, 12:00 PM,
I think both T41 and E42 are great games. One way to look at it is, E42 is in the "mature" phase of the desert conflict. What I mean is, in T41, the forces involved were relatively small overall in comparison to the forces that were available in North Africa in 1942. It does a nice job of conveying a feel of progression (which is a good thing).

Also, another good thing about E42 is that there is a Compass '40 expansion available for it. ;)
Send this user an email
12-01-2009, 12:07 PM,
That's right about Compass '40, from VM :). Foul and I have played about 150 turns into it, and might finish it up this winter - 450 or so turns I think. Very quick play, at least for the Italians.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
12-02-2009, 12:44 AM,
I placed my order for EA '42 & in anticipation of getting my game I just downloaded both the El Alamein artpack & the Compass expansion pack and I'd like to know which one gets installed first? The Compass expansion pack is dated earlier (Jan. 09) than the EA '42 artpack (July 09). Would anyone tell me what the correct order is so that I don't :censored: up my game installation?

Thanks...:)
.."A critical oversight that has led to yet another mouthful of poo." . Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe
12-02-2009, 01:25 AM,
Howdy Gasbag,

It should not matter which one you install first, but to be safe it is probably best to install E42 art pack first, then C40 second.
Send this user an email
12-02-2009, 03:39 AM,
Your gonna love the Italians in C40.........;) :rolleyes: