• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Windows 7 and SB
11-19-2009, 05:09 AM,
Windows 7 and SB
Anyone here have the new operating system and installed any of the HPS SB games with it?

Any issues?

Might be looking into a new laptop next year and wanted to see what I might have to look forward to.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
Quote this message in a reply
11-30-2009, 11:38 AM,
RE: Windows 7 and SB
So far I have not had any problems running Eagles Strike or any other HPS game I own. I have Windows 7 Home Premium edition.
Hope this helps.
11-30-2009, 10:05 PM,
I'm running Win 7 Pro and have no issues...
12-01-2009, 12:02 AM,
Good to know. Thanks for the information.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
07-30-2010, 02:03 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-30-2010, 02:55 AM by Rabbit.)
I upgraded my system to Windows 7 and noted a couple of oddities I thought might be worth mentioning:

Installing SB into its typical “C:\Program Files\” path caused a number of errors; whereas the installation worked much better if you used some other path (e.g., create a new directory at the root level). Errors messages included: "String ISDX_ERRR_INTERNAL was not found in string table" and "ISDX_ERR_INTERNAL".

.jpg   Windows_7_Install_Error_1_of_2.jpg (Size: 22.1 KB / Downloads: 5)

.jpg   Windows_7_Install_Error_2_of_2.jpg (Size: 16.52 KB / Downloads: 3)

The installation often complained about installing DirectX. In a couple of the titles, such as Red Victory, the installation finished with the following error message “"Unable to install DirectX" even when installing to a path other than the typical “C:\Program Files\” path. This seemed to be a benign error, since the installation would complete and the game didn’t seem to suffer any effects as a results.

.jpg   Windows_7_Install_Error_DirectX.JPG (Size: 12.44 KB / Downloads: 4)

When clicking on various hexes with the “Visible Hexes” display option enabled, occasionally the window would “white out” except for a couple of hexes. This usually would remedy itself if you clicked in the same hex again. I hadn’t seen this behavior with XP, it only just started happening immediately after I installed Windows 7.

.jpg   Visible_Hex_issue_in_Windows_7.jpg (Size: 72.94 KB / Downloads: 10)
07-30-2010, 02:13 AM,
All of this is documented on the HPS site, linked at the top of every page. :-)

The DirectX issue is because the game only needs DirectX 9 while your system is running DX 10.

Make sure you apply the latest update and all white out issues *should* be resolved.
07-30-2010, 02:32 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-30-2010, 02:58 AM by Rabbit.)
I must have overlooked it on the HPS site because it needed a larger font. :)

I haven't done a lot of testing with the other titles, but this "white out" problem still persists for me with Red Victory. I opened a couple of the other titles and quickly made some moves without being able to replicate the problem, but I was able to replicate it pretty quickly in Red Victory. And please note, this is not the same issue as when the screen locks up during remote support barrages.
07-30-2010, 06:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-30-2010, 06:38 AM by GrayTalon.)
I have installed TOD and ES and both seem to work fine. I did get the ISDX_ERR_INTERNAL errors that Rabbit referenced above when installing ES. However, I have installed patches to both games and have not experienced any gameplay issues at all. I am running Win 7 Pro.
09-11-2010, 05:03 AM,
(07-30-2010, 02:03 AM)Rabbit Wrote: When clicking on various hexes with the “Visible Hexes” display option enabled, occasionally the window would “white out” except for a couple of hexes. This usually would remedy itself if you clicked in the same hex again. I hadn’t seen this behavior with XP, it only just started happening immediately after I installed Windows 7.

I thought I might provide an update on this issue:

I have a NVidia Quadro NVS 135M video adapter on Windows 7. I rolled my driver back to the Verde Notebook Release 256 driver (from June 2010), but that didn't help. I rolled it back a step further to the Verde Notebook Release 197 (from March 2010) and so far it appears to have resolved the issue!