• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads
Forums
Windows 7 and SB - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards)
+-- Forum: The Firing Line (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Squad Battles (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Windows 7 and SB (/showthread.php?tid=53628)

Windows 7 and SB - TheBigRedOne - 11-19-2009

Anyone here have the new operating system and installed any of the HPS SB games with it?

Any issues?

Might be looking into a new laptop next year and wanted to see what I might have to look forward to.

RE: Windows 7 and SB - billk1 - 11-30-2009

So far I have not had any problems running Eagles Strike or any other HPS game I own. I have Windows 7 Home Premium edition.
Hope this helps.

RE: Windows 7 and SB - rahamy - 11-30-2009

I'm running Win 7 Pro and have no issues...

RE: Windows 7 and SB - TheBigRedOne - 12-01-2009

Good to know. Thanks for the information.

RE: Windows 7 and SB - Rabbit - 07-30-2010

I upgraded my system to Windows 7 and noted a couple of oddities I thought might be worth mentioning:

Installing SB into its typical “C:\Program Files\” path caused a number of errors; whereas the installation worked much better if you used some other path (e.g., create a new directory at the root level). Errors messages included: "String ISDX_ERRR_INTERNAL was not found in string table" and "ISDX_ERR_INTERNAL".
[attachment=2922]
[attachment=2923]

The installation often complained about installing DirectX. In a couple of the titles, such as Red Victory, the installation finished with the following error message “"Unable to install DirectX" even when installing to a path other than the typical “C:\Program Files\” path. This seemed to be a benign error, since the installation would complete and the game didn’t seem to suffer any effects as a results.
[attachment=2924]

When clicking on various hexes with the “Visible Hexes” display option enabled, occasionally the window would “white out” except for a couple of hexes. This usually would remedy itself if you clicked in the same hex again. I hadn’t seen this behavior with XP, it only just started happening immediately after I installed Windows 7.
[attachment=2925]

RE: Windows 7 and SB - rahamy - 07-30-2010

All of this is documented on the HPS site, linked at the top of every page. :-)

The DirectX issue is because the game only needs DirectX 9 while your system is running DX 10.

Make sure you apply the latest update and all white out issues *should* be resolved.

RE: Windows 7 and SB - Rabbit - 07-30-2010

I must have overlooked it on the HPS site because it needed a larger font. :)

I haven't done a lot of testing with the other titles, but this "white out" problem still persists for me with Red Victory. I opened a couple of the other titles and quickly made some moves without being able to replicate the problem, but I was able to replicate it pretty quickly in Red Victory. And please note, this is not the same issue as when the screen locks up during remote support barrages.

RE: Windows 7 and SB - GrayTalon - 07-30-2010

I have installed TOD and ES and both seem to work fine. I did get the ISDX_ERR_INTERNAL errors that Rabbit referenced above when installing ES. However, I have installed patches to both games and have not experienced any gameplay issues at all. I am running Win 7 Pro.

RE: Windows 7 and SB - Rabbit - 09-11-2010

(07-30-2010, 02:03 AM)Rabbit Wrote: When clicking on various hexes with the “Visible Hexes” display option enabled, occasionally the window would “white out” except for a couple of hexes. This usually would remedy itself if you clicked in the same hex again. I hadn’t seen this behavior with XP, it only just started happening immediately after I installed Windows 7.

I thought I might provide an update on this issue:

I have a NVidia Quadro NVS 135M video adapter on Windows 7. I rolled my driver back to the Verde Notebook Release 256 driver (from June 2010), but that didn't help. I rolled it back a step further to the Verde Notebook Release 197 (from March 2010) and so far it appears to have resolved the issue!