• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Sicily Campaign -- worth playing?
10-24-2009, 11:41 PM,
RE: Sicily Campaign -- worth playing?
Marquo Wrote:You should also download some map mods from Glenn's site; the map is hard to read and can be vastly improved by using some of the road, rr, river/bridge and rough terrain upgrades.

Marquo

I agree, the mod at Glenn's site that shows up rough terrain that mech units cannot enter is a real help as it is hard to tell from broken hex's . ;)
Quote this message in a reply
10-25-2009, 01:27 AM,
Yes it is - map mods help. Probably one of the best games I have played. I played the Allies it was a hard fight against the Germans and the terrain. In my view my win resulted because a Reg Artillery unit actually disrupted someone and I was able to roll up a strong position. I nearly did not take the shot as those guns are not that good.

As with any Camp game of length you need an "enemy" who will last the course who you enjoy playing.

Find one of those and I have been very lucky to find 3 such people to play long games with and you will have fun

Mike
10-27-2009, 01:35 PM,
Played the Axis and greatly enjoyed it. It is not like many games where you have lots of forces to cover the whole map completely.....if you did your units would get cut off also. I would rate it as the best game I have had the opportunity to play--roads terrain and guessing where your opponent might be are all very important. It didn't hurt my rating to the game that I won--in part becuase I suspect my opponent did not share the same fondness for the game--or its different flair. If you opponent changes his mind I might be able to play again.
MIke
10-27-2009, 03:59 PM,
> It is not like many games where you have lots of forces to cover the whole map completely

Stated another way - the OOB has 510 US units, 426 Brit\Cdn units vs against only 173 German unit support by a whole host of Italian units of various quality and reliability.

I really had a lot of fun putting Sicily together and I an truly encouraged to see the player comments here.

Thanks guys.

Glenn
Send this user an email
11-05-2009, 11:58 AM,
Yes I agree with the above comments.

I played the campaign as the Axis and lost but it was the most enjoyable campaign game I have played. One contributing factor of course was my excellent opponent who not only kept me on my toes with his surprise moves but kept up a regular rate of turns through this long game. He also played within the spirit of the game--it was a " gentleman's war " : no dirty tricks, no whining, no shooting of prisoners.....Big Grin

Although the Axis is outnumbered and outgunned the terrain does give them a chance. A lot depends on the placement of your troops and there are numerous strategic decisions to make. Also some of the Italian units can put up a good fight.

The map is wonderfully detailed and large--there is plenty of room to maneuver albeit slowly. Planning ahead is essential.

All in all a great game.