• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Help!
10-06-2009, 11:28 AM,
RE: Help!
Here is my situation at present. I removed the program, using the tool in the JTCS box. My Program Files now contain no indication that the JTCS program is still there. The Install/Uninstall tool on the Control Panel shows no evidence of JTCS........which suggests to me that JTCS is no longer installed.

Alas, poor Yorick.... I have on my desktop a folder which contains various folders such as root directories etc, which I used to extract and load PBEM files, as one does. This still has in it 19619 files, and 55 folders, which suggests to me that JTCS, or parts thereof, are still installed.

Thoughts please, chaps?
Quote this message in a reply
10-06-2009, 11:49 AM,
Not to worry. You can manually delete those or rename the directory to something else to be safe, you can delete it later.

Uninstallers should be done first, so good that you did, but they often only remove the registry files (the database that makes up the windows operating system), leaving the directories behind, which you must delete yourself.

The default location should be C:\Matrix Games. That whole folder can be deleted if the John Tiller directory is the only thing in it.

I'd suggest a reboot before reinstalling.

Reinstall to the default location if you can.

Have fun!
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
10-06-2009, 12:11 PM,
I'm not a good person to resolve these types of problems. I can, however, articulate how I perceive the problem. Feel free to correct me.

Your current directory is probably something like: C:\Matrix Games\Campaign Series\. All those folders and files you mentioned remain in this directory even after you uninstalled. When you reinstall, they are somehow interferring with your efforts to patch.

Scud's suggestion is essentially to rename the directory after uninstalling to something like C:\Matrix Games\Extra. All those folders and files should not be in the way when you reinstall. When you reinstall, the reinstall will automatically creat a directory like this: C:\Matrix Games\Campaign Series. Because it's clean (without any of the remnant folders and files, which have been shifted elsewhere by renaming the directory), you should be able to patch, and you should have a clean version 1.04.

The problem then becomes how to reintroduce all those files you put in the Extra directory back into the Campaign Series directory. It seems like when dropping them back into the Campaign Series directory, something should get fouled up, but I wouldn't know why or how.
10-06-2009, 12:38 PM,
I presume that these are files that would be included in the download. I have pulled out my own design files into a totally separate folder..
10-06-2009, 02:16 PM,
Well...I am #%*&^! I have successfully installed the basic game, but simply no indication of the downloads. I must admit that I cannot tell from the matrix site ifthe downloads have happened or not.
I will try the matrix help area. Thanks for the ideas, fellas.
10-06-2009, 10:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-06-2009, 10:09 PM by 1925frank.)
Some games will tell you on the first page what version you have. Campaign Series does not. Jason is aware of that problem, but I don't know if it is one of the fixes planned for version 1.05. I guess the only way to determine which version you have is to find something unique to version 1.04 and see if it is there. I believe the "Options" menu that reflects opting in or out of Extreme Assault and Variable Visibility is unique to version 1.04. My recollection is that Extreme Assault and Variable Visibility were introduced in version 1.03 but not as options, and there were many people who disliked Extreme Assault and Variable Visibility, so Matrix gave us version 1.04, which made Extreme Assault and Variable Visibility part of the "Options" you can select when starting a game. I'd recommend looking at your "Options" menu and see if you have those choices. If you do, then you've got version 1.04.
10-06-2009, 11:32 PM,
It's also possible that if your using Vista, security settings are preventing the overwrite of the original install. Make sure you've logged in as administrator.

...and yes, it's a long shot. Sorry for your problems; I feel your pain.
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
10-07-2009, 05:28 AM,
Re the last two posts...I have been using the EA/VV rules keys (or rather the absence thereof as indicators of the download state). After each attempt I try a little scen, but have yet to see six optional rules. I am satisfied with the download from the disc, but have got nothing from the Matrix site, either by trying to download from the site, or using the Earth and Lightning Bolt icon in the directory, which I gather interrogates Matrix for patches. Seems to be doing something, in that it downloads at a variable rate (while telling me that time to go is 0.00...???) then after an hour or so gives an error signal. I turn my protection off while trying to download.
Very frustrating.
My O/S is XP. I am very happy to stay XP. Does more than I will ever need.
This is also playing out on the Matrix Forum...Junk2drive is very helpful.
I have contacted Matrix, so far with no reply. Very annoying and frustrating
10-07-2009, 05:53 AM,
While in a scenario, I think there is an "Options" button on the menu that appears above the map. If you have no menu above the map, plunk "m" and I think a menu will appear at the top of the screen. I don't remember which button to push, but if you look around, there'll be an "Options" button, and you can see which options are selected for the current scenario. If there are only 4 options, then you aren't up to version 1.04 yet. If there are 6 options, with 2 of them being Extreme Assault and Variable Visibility, then you are up to version 1.04.

It sounds like you're not up to version 1.04 yet. It sounds like downloading version 1.04 from Matrix isn't working either.

When I downloaded my patches, they went into a zipped folder if I remember correctly, and then I had to open and install. Is there any chance your previously downloaded patches are among the folders that wouldn't uninstall? They would probably appear as zipped folders. You mentioned having 55 folders. If you still have them, place them in the Campaign Series directory (if they aren't already there), unzip and install.
10-07-2009, 06:41 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-07-2009, 11:19 PM by Scud.)
K K Rossokolski Wrote:I turn my protection off while trying to download.

Don't do that.

I didn't realize you didn't have the actual patch. I just went on Matrix's site and got it and am uploading to a server. It's a huge file, but our bandwidth is way more than yours, so your download limitation will apply. If you have a dial-up modem, don't bother, but DSL or cable will be fine. It's a little over 200 megs.

File is here:

[Link No Longer Active]

When you've received the file, open the zip file and drag the .exe file that's inside it to your desktop. DON'T try to run the exe from within the zip.

This should do it. Think positive.

After you receive the file, let me know so I can delete it off the server.
Send this user an email