• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Open Team Battle - Round 2
11-21-2009, 01:03 PM,
RE: Open Team Battle - Round 2
First off, those of us on Team Bad Guys are delighted with our draw, given how well my Wile E Coyote battle plan went off. I definitely felt like I was falling off a cliff while holding up a "Help!" sign on the way down ...

Our password was "noteshelp."

The original German plan was to feint through the center woods and just hold the southern flank while hooking hard through the north. It fell to pieces early: We got thoroughly disorganized in our northern sprint and ended up with remnants of the hook wandering in your backfield while the majority of survivors beat a retreat. Then your @%$!* first air pass scored a direct hit on our cavalry transport company laden with the woods-fighting contingent. (I had huddled them up to avoid LOS from some potential advance Brit positions. Brilliant decision on my part ...) Then y'all kept driving light vehicles into our southern bocage defenders to punch in their morale before they got bayoneted and routed half that force.

So, yea, we felt like we were losing on three of three fronts. A draw is a tribute to the cussedness and determination of the team ...
Quote this message in a reply
11-22-2009, 01:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-22-2009, 01:23 AM by Cross.)
Our plan was more defense oriented, which paid dividends up north, as we were able to react quickly to your ‘right hook’ and contain most of it. But when it came time for our counter attack in the centre, we also suffered from disorganization and failed to get enough weight, timing and speed behind our punch.

[img][Image: 3_Platoons_start_Map.jpg?rnd=0.2848269951603426][/img]

North
We rushed the bulk of our reserves up north to contain your attack. The north hung in the balance for a while, but once we had KO’d the Panther and T34 I felt the attack was no longer a serious threat. I had hoped to damage you more decisively here, but you failed to press your attack, and I felt we were too weak and too spread out to make a serious counter attack in the north.
This sector continued to require quite a lot of our forces, particularly as you’d got some units into the north east. Which is part of the reason for our failure in the centre.

Centre
We didn’t ‘buy’ your feint in the centre. We had enough intel (mostly from the RAF) that it seemed you had poor quality troops and little armour in that sector. Which is one of the reasons we attacked here in the second half. But our attack on Hill 38 was doomed to failure, because of the reasons mentioned above, but also because we failed to control the flanks. I think if we’d gone into Ranville woods before you got in there, then we would have had a real chance at the Hill.

South
Our plan also called for a light weight defense of the south. The terrain down south was easy to defend; though at one point I was paranoid that you may drop a lot of smoke on one of the large fields, and come charging across.
I was ‘pulling my hair out’ when Gila blatantly ignored our plan/orders, appeared to go rogue :rolleyes: and attacked up the paved road losing two of the three tanks we had in the south! I guess commanders have to deal with this sort of thing. He’s on your side next time :)

After that debacle, we pulled back along the paved road so our troops wouldn’t be too exposed to artillery. Then we stonked the road with artillery before slowly counter attacking to recapture our v-hex.
11-22-2009, 02:49 PM,
Cross Wrote:I was ‘pulling my hair out’ when Gila blatantly ignored our plan/orders, appeared to go rogue :rolleyes: and attacked up the paved road losing two of the three tanks we had in the south! I guess commanders have to deal with this sort of thing. He’s on your side next time :)

We had quite a bit of debate on our side about that...some conjectured that it was a brilliant ploy to suck us further down the road. Some, I belive Mr. Fjun, suggested it was merely a "F#*k up".

Seconding Seabolt, I think we are very happy to take a draw in this one...things got pretty bleak there for a while.

GUNSLNGR

"A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that's unlocked and opens inwards; as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push."

11-24-2009, 11:20 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-24-2009, 11:21 AM by Cross.)
GUNSLNGR Wrote:We had quite a bit of debate on our side about that...some conjectured that it was a brilliant ploy to suck us further down the road. Some, I belive Mr. Fjun, suggested it was merely a "F#*k up".

Hey Guys,

I just want to apologise to Gila for bringing up that incident again, and painting it in the way that I did. It was just a mis-click, and I gave him too much of a hard time over it. Particularly as I don't know him all that well. I was treating him like he was Seabolt or something ;)

Sorry Gila. You are welcome on any of my teams in the future, seriously.

cheers
11-24-2009, 02:36 PM,
Cross Wrote:I was treating him like he was Seabolt or something ;)

No one deserves that!

I think no one did worse than my decision to place an entire cavalry transport company in concentric rings, like a -- what's the word I'm looking for? -- oh yes, a bullseye. A big horsey bullseye for 500-lb bomb and rockets.

Little did my teammates know that my master plan was to restage Guernica, Picasso having been a fellow member of the el cajones brasso club.
11-24-2009, 03:47 PM,
Wow a Draw! For a moment I thought we did worse than that. I think we were lacking a more mobile reserve, things got somewhat static from turn 10-12 till end IMHO.

Great learning experience for me guys, thanks a lot for allowing me in and take part of this rewarding experiment. I´m up for the next one! in case you want to play another one of course.
Send this user an email
11-24-2009, 11:43 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-25-2009, 01:38 AM by Cross.)
RVPERTVS Wrote:Wow a Draw! For a moment I thought we did worse than that.
I´m up for the next one! in case you want to play another one of course.

Just rub it in...Big Grin Makes me feel like we really messed up not pulling off a win.

As for another battle, there's two things we should consider:

1. A new update for SPWW2 will probably be released in the next 2 to 4 weeks; and I think I'd rather have that installed before starting a battle that may take six or more weeks to complete.

2. What about a campaign team battle?
I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) only the two team leaders would need the CD version, to start the battles, and refit at the end of battles.
If we're going to play a few battles, may at least have some continuity.
No long term commitment. Players could drop out or be replaced if need be, and even the team leaders would only have the obligation to finish the battles they start.

Any thoughts?

On a seperate topic. I would like to play a 'one off' battle against someone; and hopefully get it finished around mid December. So if anyone is interested, reply here or send me an email. I guess you'd need to be able to play at least 7 to 10 turns a week.
11-25-2009, 01:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-25-2009, 02:09 AM by RVPERTVS.)
Cross Wrote:1. A new update for SPWW2 will probably be released in the next 2 to 4 weeks; and I think I'd rather have that installed before starting a battle that may take six or more weeks to complete.

Any thoughts?

I agree, I´d also prefer to wait for the next patch to be issued. I have some comments and questions about this last team battle but I´ll post them later on when I find the time to analyze things better.

I like the PBEM Campaign Idea as well.

Keep Cool!
Send this user an email
11-25-2009, 02:12 AM,
Re: AARs

I started putting the British AAR together, but them I wondered if anyone was actually interested in reading it?

If you are let me know, and I'll finish it up and post it.
11-25-2009, 02:20 AM,
I couldn´t be more interested, I´m particularly eager to read about the planning process, I mean: how and why you came up with your plan, what considerations you took into account, etc.

Keep Cool!
Send this user an email