• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

A new innovation?
10-03-2009, 06:10 PM,
RE: A new innovation?
I think that's what I stated in one of the original posts Jim. It's a handy utility for AARs as well as for tutorial use, also there is the ability to voice record for instruction purposes.
Much good work has already been done re instruction, tactics by a fair few people but I think, as in most things, a visual display is vastly better than reading notes?
Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2009, 10:31 PM,
glint Wrote:I see where you are coming from re the 'stunt methods' but, as in previous threads, a cheat will cheat however, until caught. I don't think the positive of something should be disregarded because of the minority negative?

When I first read about this utility my eyebrow went up.
I am not thinking in terms of minority or majority opinion. I think it should be looked into for the sake of clarity.

glint Wrote:Once again, as I said earlier, this utility would have no more advantage to cheat than a player re-loading a .bte file and checking the opponents turn again and again, before playing his turn?

In the past when I studied "replay cheating" I found that the game engine did change subtle little aspects of each replay. Ie., air planes would attack different targets, or not attack at all. Units that in one play were disrupted could be simply reduced but not disrupted. Artillery damage could drift to different hexes or do more (or less) damage to units it effected.
The utility would take that aspect out?
But, can the utility itself be cracked by a computer "geek" to "see" where hidden enemy units are located.
I'm thinking out loud and trying to wrap my mind around it.

glint Wrote:Anyway, I respect the fact you don't have time to check it out Ed. Going by the amount of viewings of the posts, seems Scud and I are the only ones interested, apart from your good self, lol!

LOL! Picture that? Big Grin
It was me that posted. :rolleyes:

I was interested in the potential benefits too. As I said, the leadership may need/want to look into this utility? And, it appears THE leader has taken an interest? :smoke:

cheers

RR
10-03-2009, 10:59 PM,
Well Ed, as it's a free utility program to download, I guess anyone who wants to use it for the purpose of cheating, is able to anyway? As per previous posts, one has an idea of who is using doubtful tactics and won't play them again, so if the utility gets used in an inappropriate manner, it will probably come to light?
I think, as far as the community is concerned, the negative side (dealt with above) should not outweigh the positive aspects of this tool in my opinion.
regards
Peter
10-04-2009, 02:41 AM,
glint Wrote:I see where you are coming from re the 'stunt methods'

I don't.
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
10-04-2009, 04:02 AM,
In truth Scud, I don't really see 'stunt methods' as being an issue here?
As I said before, cheats will cheat whatever ways are available to them. I really feel the reference to 'stunt methods' detracts from the positive use of the utility albeit, my comment was just referring to the fact that I recognise Ed's concern, perhaps I should have added that the concern isn't an important one imho, tho' I think I did intimate that in my comments?
regards
Peter
10-04-2009, 04:56 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-04-2009, 04:57 AM by Scud.)
OK, here's another use. I watched your replay again, Peter. Let's say you're a new player and don't quite know why you've been losing all your battles. So you use the screen recorder to record one of your moves, post it to the forum and ask for advice from the club. Basically a "what am I doing wrong?" thread.

I watch the replay and immediately notice you lead off with your tanks. I'd compare that to a boxer leading with his chin. Not only do you walk right in to a lower cal AT, but you do it again and this time get hit by an 88. Your first tank now sits exposed and the second I think is exposed as well (not positive). In the meantime you have loaded trucks which I can only assume carry infantry and maybe artillery.

My advice to the newbie would have been unload the trucks. Find good defensive positions that can aid in spotting. Send a low SP recon unit out front. None available yet? Then wait. Etc, etc.

Someone else in the club might give completely different advice, adding fuel for a pretty interesting debate.
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
10-04-2009, 05:13 AM,
Yeah Scud, that's exactly one of the great ways it could be used!
There must be quite a few players who do not have the time to play many games and would love to get opinions on how they do play.
As I said, the beauty with this utility is that you can even add a mike and narrate what and why you are playing the move that way.
As you say, it could also produce some interesting threads for discussion as well replacing AARs as we know them!
By the way, Scud, the video was for demo purposes only, not in any way a display of my tactics, lol!
regards
Peter
10-06-2009, 09:57 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-06-2009, 10:01 PM by John Given.)
My 2 cents:

You should ALWAYS watch the replay. You learn;

1. The overall direction or "flow" of the enemy forces.

2. What kind of units he's hitting you with.

3. The amount and strength of his artillery.*

4. Very roughly, the size of his force.**

5. In extreme zoom-out mode (view 3) the approximate location of his artillery, due to "muzzle flashes."

* Different types of guns make different types of sounds. It's important to know which types make which sounds. I've long since memorized which is which. Also, the number of rounds landing is a strong clue as to enemy artillery strength, and the location of the hits tells whether or not he has spotted you in a particular hex.

Also note: the number of craters can be an indicator of artillery strength. If you hear what sounds like a 150mm, and the impact hex is only lightly cratered, it *might* just be a 150mm infantry gun. However, if the hex is heavily cratered after a single shot, it's probably corps-level artillery - better watch out.

** I listen carefully to all the sounds his units make during the replay. I note motorcycle sounds, truck sounds, halftrack sounds, loading/unloading sounds, and most especially, fully-tracked vehicle sounds. For example, let's say my spotters seem to have a decent portion of his force spotted, and there is very little in the way of extra "noise." Then, I hear a whole lot of vehicle sounds. This means it's virtually certain that he just received a bunch of reinforcements. Moral: Don't ignore what the game tells you during the replay - use your eyes AND your ears to figure out what you're up against.

Note: You will hear more types of unit sounds in 3d mode - so be sure to be in it during the replay.
Thus, what is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Sun Tzu
10-06-2009, 11:26 PM,
John Given Wrote:My 2 cents:

You should ALWAYS watch the replay.

John-o, you should always read the threads, too. :) This and an earlier one concerned some free screen recorder software I found that lets you record your game turn (and anything else) and then save it as a video file. Peter (Glint) and I thought it could be utilized for training/tutorial videos, DAR/AARs. Ed (Roadrunner) voiced concerns that it might be used as a cheating method, but I really don't see how.

Check it out if you want: https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=52938

Or watch the video Peter made which was what I was referring to in my post: https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=52949

Anyway, you're right, one should always watch the replays.

Dave
Send this user an email
10-08-2009, 05:10 AM,
Dave, I see positive and negative. I just wanted the Ladder Commanders to look into it, in case it could be used as a cheating method. :chin:

John, I'd rather be a .500 player who enjoys the game and plays many games at one time. I do not want to be a .570-.600 player who would quit after boredom or frustration. :rolleyes:

I'm all for the many variations of players and styles. :smoke:

cheers

RR