• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

A new innovation?
09-25-2009, 04:53 AM,
A new innovation?
Following the posts on the screen display recorder, (which I admit,didn't seem to generate much interest, lol!), I thought, wouldn't it be an interesting, practical use to include a file with a new scenario. You could scan the map and, add a mike, introduce the scenario!
Just a thought, lol!
regards
Peter
Quote this message in a reply
09-25-2009, 11:39 AM,
RE: A new innovation?
Here's another one I haven't tested. One of the programmer's in my office told me about it. It will save as AVI or Flash videos, not sure what else, if anything. Just keep in mind that AVI's will be huge. Flash videos, however, are perfect for over the web. Also, the quality might not be any better than the other one, but if you want to play a little:

http://camstudio.org/

Let us know.
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
09-25-2009, 11:53 AM,
As long as we're on the subject of free apps, check out some of this stuff:

http://www.smashingapps.com/2009/02/18/1...gners.html
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
10-01-2009, 07:47 PM,
I have not looked at the utility. So, I do not know what can be seen during the "movie play". It sounds like a looping replay?

But, what is the potential for it's use as a "stunt method"?

Can the ladder commanders look into this?

RR
10-02-2009, 01:20 AM,
Ed, check out the sample Glint made using the other screen recorder utility if you haven't already. These recordings might be great for short tutorials, like how to assault, but the maker has to be aware of file size:

https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=52949
Send this user an email
10-02-2009, 03:59 AM,
Hi Scud, I'll do that.
My main concern was from discussions "years back" that watching replays over an over was a breach of the rules and could be considered a stunt method. That was with players who participated in a tourney where each side could open the game and watch the replay, then they would select the file that had the best result from their side and pass it on to their teammate. And, if I recall correctly one member thought it was O.K. to exit the file and watch the replay again because they might have missed something.

My mind went to the idea that this would allow multiple views and could show things not normally seen during replays. At that point it could be considered to "crack the file" or be a "stunt method"?

But, as I said, I have not seen the utility work and will have to cut out some time to view it and see what Glint has posted.

Thanks for the link.

RR
10-02-2009, 04:27 AM,
Hi Ed,

As I saw it, the utility would be brilliant to use as a tutorial in giving guidance to newbies. It is a pure video of whatever you have on screen, so it even shows the mouse-clicks and each movement of units. You can even connect a microphone and narrate over the action!
I am too naive (or trusting) to see it as an aid to cheating but, imho, the same could be done by just reloading the .bte file and re-watching it time and again? Other than that, I can't see it being misused in any other way, as I said, I purely looked at it as an aid to tutoring.
Anyway, let me know if you want to view one and I'll construct one for you.
As Scud said, it's a slower replay of the actionut not to a painful degree and you have to keep the size of the file down otherwise you may have troubles uploading/downloading it on here or by e-mail, depending on your ISP restrictions.
regards
Peter
10-02-2009, 07:39 PM,
Hello Peter,

I do not watch replays. I do not think I have the time to watch your display recorder. :(

It might be something that Jason would want to look into for future tutorials?
I also think it might be something that the Ladder Commanders want to look into as a possible "stunt method".

RR
10-03-2009, 07:19 AM,
Hi Ed,
That's a shame, if you had the time to watch it, it would possibly emphasise my comments about it. I understand tho', I don't have much time now for the gaming even, human issues take more of a precedence lately!

I thought from the tutorial aspect, it would work much the same as Microsoft tutorials that come with a new computer, - a visual and narrated guide to illustrate tactics in the game?
As you say, perhaps Jason can look at it but, I think members of the Blitz should feel free to use it between themselves without Ladder Commanders being involved?
As an example, I have played some games in the past with newbies and, started gaming as a newbie myself, obviously. If the utility was used to explain better play tactics, after the game, I'm sure it would be appreciated. No 'stunt methods' would be involved, used as such and I think two individuals should be free to do that if they are happy with it?

I see where you are coming from re the 'stunt methods' but, as in previous threads, a cheat will cheat however, until caught. I don't think the positive of something should be disregarded because of the minority negative?

Once again, as I said earlier, this utility would have no more advantage to cheat than a player re-loading a .bte file and checking the opponents turn again and again, before playing his turn?

Anyway, I respect the fact you don't have time to check it out Ed. Going by the amount of viewings of the posts, seems Scud and I are the only ones interested, apart from your good self, lol!
regards
Peter
10-03-2009, 10:06 AM,
I see it a potential AAR supplement... Not just writing about it, but you can actually see it as it unfolds... I know that on occassion, folks have loaded game turns... I think this would be a good thing to try as an article type supplement...