• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Holy Grail of War Gaming
09-02-2009, 02:37 AM,
RE: Holy Grail of War Gaming
I look at this game and think one thing... multiplayer!

L
Quote this message in a reply
09-02-2009, 05:49 AM,
I played a WitP PBEM game for over 2 years before I had to give it in to a bug introduced in the last patch.

I have bought EWitP:AE and looking at the forums and the first patch it is still bug ridden. But saying that I will give it a try because, as Tazarron says, it is an extremely detailed simulation of the pacific Theatre. In fact AE maybe too detailed.
09-02-2009, 03:30 PM,
FLG Wrote:I played a WitP PBEM game for over 2 years before I had to give it in to a bug introduced in the last patch.

I have bought EWitP:AE and looking at the forums and the first patch it is still bug ridden. But saying that I will give it a try because, as Tazarron says, it is an extremely detailed simulation of the pacific Theatre. In fact AE maybe too detailed.

I played a PBEM game for almost 3 years and we actually finished, it was like a lifetime achievement and anyone who does it deserves a reward. Yes AE still has bugs, probably wont be running smooth till Christmas and then ill start a new. It is the best simulation on that part of WWII but as FLG said maybe too detailed, it scares people away. I hope they find a happy medium on the East Front.

Aaron
Rangers Lead the Way
09-05-2009, 07:46 PM,
I am playing the Guadal Canal scenario right now with a friend of mine, and it is a blast! They say the patches are being written in such a way that they shouldn't break ongoing PBEM games.

Matrix Games is a software publishing company. Different people create the different games, which Matrix sells. Just because one game may be a dog (*cough* EiA), doesnt mean another one cant be great (WiTP: AE!). The people from one, are not involved with the people from another.
09-07-2009, 03:57 AM,
What are some of the bugs in Admiral's edition? J
09-07-2009, 04:52 AM,
jonnymacbrown Wrote:What are some of the bugs in Admiral's edition? J

Try reading the AE forum

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=528
09-07-2009, 09:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-07-2009, 09:13 AM by Hank.)
One aspect of WitE is that you can't break the Divisions down into historical regiments ... it breaks down Division the same way TOAW does which is to divide a division assets down by 1/3.

I would rather see an option to have it bread units down into historical regiments so a player can move weapon specific regiments into situations (primarily terrain) that are advantageous to that regiment.

I used this example but I can do the same with any Division:

the 2nd Pz Div (1943) was composed of the 3rd Pz Reg, 2nd PzGr Reg, 304 PzGr Reg, 74th Pz Arty, 2nd Motorcycle, 5th Pz Recce, 38th TD, 38th Pz Eng, and the 38th Pz Signal battalion.

I would rather see a game engine give the player the option to break a division into a combined arms regiment or a historical weapons specific regiment/battalion ...

There are many situations where an armored regiment is not effective in a particular terrain/hex. You should have a choice.
09-07-2009, 11:55 AM,
Outlaw Josey Wales Wrote:I wonder why that kind of detail wasn't used for an ACW game, which could also lead on to others like Naps and EAW as well.

You may want to check out Forge of Freedom by Matrix for a very detailed engine for ACW play. It's been ported over to a Nappy era game as well, but I can't recall the title at the moment. Crown of Glory perhaps?
09-08-2009, 12:56 AM,
Always been an Eastern Front buff, a friend told me to try the game, but I never was much of a Pacific War guy, but I gave in and fell in love.

The detail of WitP is what makes the game so good. If WitE is half as detailed, it will be a game I certainly buy. Still waiting for AE to sort out, before I buy it.
09-08-2009, 02:09 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-08-2009, 02:10 AM by Panzer VI.)
WitP:AE is fantastic.I also like the hard effort by the AE team, that when you update the game, you don't have to restart as well.Seeing as WitE to be a new engine, I really hope they add higher resolutions so their fantastic games can take the full glory of my 17in widescreen on my laptop.

However, I'm not that much excited about WitE, as JTCS is my east front fix.I'm more interested in World in Flames.