• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

the beatles
08-12-2009, 08:27 AM,
RE: the beatles
Von Luck,

By the way...an unusual anecdote: Used to be "Guitar Player" magazine was it (and the only it) for us 6 stringers. Every year we would vote amongst ourselves on the "best" cat at his trade. Harrison never won anything, though his songs are among my most favorite and the very best. from, what, '73 to '80, maybe longer (I lost interest in the mag...and went to 12 string), McCartney would win best Bass player, hand downs, every year (even when he was making "silly love songs"), even in an era of bass players...All subjective, you know, but it occurred. He is a hell of a bass player, when you listen, and a master song writer when you don't.

cheers
Curt
Town Drunk
Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2009, 07:11 PM,
Curt/jb:

For us Yanks the Beatles didn't exist until "Meet the Beatles" and "Beatles 64" came out.
(OK...maybe I missed one...I was kind of young then and had to steal those albums from my sister when she left to join the Air Force...lol...)

I didn't realize it at that time...but they were playing Buddy Holly songs.
(please...no beatings here...John Lennon said it...not me!)
They took that for a start...and as you say jb...they invented an entire sound. Progressive music. Orchestral accompaniment. Symphonic themes through entire albums that tied the movements together. (Sgt. Pepper mate!...:)

Yes...I still have my White Album...original edition...and with the inserts...b and w head shots of each beatle...etc...etc...
Somehow downloading that on to your ipod doesn't quite seem the same...but of course we were all huddled over these antique machines back then called "record players" and usually trying our best not to put another scratch in the record...

I hope my sister doesn't read these forums...she's STILL looking for those first two Beatles albums!

Dan
08-13-2009, 06:33 AM,
No disrespect Curt but Harrison was the guitar player for the Beatles.Not saying McCartney couldnt play but not like Harrison.Dan your joking you have the photos inside the White album still sad case just like me.I have a picture disc LP of Sgt Pepper which ive never played no way might be worth something now.Yeah the White Album some weird and wonderfull stuff on that.Me and my Monkey why dont we do it in the road sexy sadie long long time blackbird buffalo Bill and the classic While my guitar gently weeps.No daggers but i defy anyone to name any group like them.Top five singles in the US Charts all in one week first round the world televised broadcast who do they pick the Beatles.:bow::bow::bow:im not worthy.