• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Kharkov 43 Manstein strikes back Alt
04-15-2009, 12:47 PM,
RE: Kharkov 43 Manstein strikes back Alt
Jazman Wrote:Next up: a review of Morale. Most of the units are in accordance with VMs approach, but of course the starting point here has a lot of fatigued units, reducing the default morale. Maybe the approach here is to reduce the starting fatigue level some.

The morale levels are fine. People love to complain about Russian morale simply because they can't do what the used to with them. But I agree, the best place to start with would be starting fatigue levels.
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
04-15-2009, 03:19 PM,
Ok Jaz,

I deleted the post in the Stalingrad 42 Mods forum.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
04-15-2009, 03:20 PM,
fatigued units are the largest problem,its just to high.
04-16-2009, 12:47 AM,
[/font]Generally, I expect historically based scenarios to reflect accurately the situation that occured an existed at the start. If the Russians were 'spent' as a result of their over extention of the offensive after Stalingrad, I would assume residual fatigue.
04-16-2009, 01:52 AM,
the trouble with to much Historical based scenarios they become unplayerble as PBEM, and only can be played against the AI. Also the scenario we are talking about is an ALT one so I think some form of balance is ok best . Yes the forces should have some fatigue but 100+ per regiment is to high. [/u]
04-16-2009, 01:58 AM,
Bidermann Wrote:the trouble with to much Historical based scenarios they become unplayerble as PBEM, and only can be played against the AI. Also the scenario we are talking about is an ALT one so I think some form of balance is ok best . Yes the forces should have some fatigue but 100+ per regiment is to high. [/u]

One minor problem with fatigue is it effects morale so it's difficult to simulate 'momentum'. If you have been successfully driving the enemy back day after day you may be physically tired but your spirits may be sky high.
Since it's a pretty subjective call anyway changing starting fatigue to help balance a scenario seems ok by me.
04-16-2009, 02:36 AM,
I'll take a look at reducing the fatigue level at start. This is probably a bit more work, just going through all the initial units. Luckily this is not Minsk 44.

Note that "spent" also means a lot of the units at start are far below 100% on strength. Reducing fatigue while keeping the low unit strength is probably acceptable to simulate a spent state, no?
04-16-2009, 02:43 AM,
Jazman Wrote:Note that "spent" also means a lot of the units at start are far below 100% on strength. Reducing fatigue while keeping the low unit strength is probably acceptable to simulate a spent state, no?

Yes I think that will work Jazman
04-16-2009, 02:52 AM,
Jazman Wrote:I'll take a look at reducing the fatigue level at start. This is probably a bit more work, just going through all the initial units. Luckily this is not Minsk 44.

Note that "spent" also means a lot of the units at start are far below 100% on strength. Reducing fatigue while keeping the low unit strength is probably acceptable to simulate a spent state, no?

Makes sense to me.
04-16-2009, 06:51 AM,
James Ward Wrote:One minor problem with fatigue is it effects morale so it's difficult to simulate 'momentum'. If you have been successfully driving the enemy back day after day you may be physically tired but your spirits may be sky high.
Since it's a pretty subjective call anyway changing starting fatigue to help balance a scenario seems ok by me.

Fatigue is a poor word choice, which is misinterpreted often to describe the physical stamina of the troops.

Fatigue, as described in the design notes, is not a physical state of energy, but more a measure of a unit's cohesion to still function as a unit rather than a large group of individuals.

Constant combat in the line was known to wear down a unit by more than just the casualties inflicted. Even if sufficient replacements were on hand to keep the unit near full strength, this changing of the guard effect would mean the unit would not fight as well as the original unit where the men knew each other much better and trusted the officers.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp