• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads
Forums
Kharkov 43 Manstein strikes back Alt - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards)
+-- Forum: The Firing Line (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Tiller Operational Campaigns (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Kharkov 43 Manstein strikes back Alt (/showthread.php?tid=50911)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Kharkov 43 Manstein strikes back Alt - Bidermann - 04-13-2009

Has any body played this one or are playing it? I am Russian I cant see how the battle will last 200+ turns .My Russians are knacked after turn 15 ,in the south the reinforcement point of entry for my Russians due the 19th has been over run I am only on the 16th.the Russians are so weak in the south that they stand little chance of holding any thing back. Around Kharkov with the Russians at 30% strenght and fatigue at 100+ per unit stand no chance of breaking through bunkers set at 40%!! and trenches at 30%!! with little Art what chance is there.

I do get a bit fed up playing battles that are so unbalanced that they are worthless in playing.

RE: Kharkov 43 Manstein strikes back Alt - James Ward - 04-13-2009

I haven't tried it as the Russian. I played a game as the Germans and had a pretty easy time after about turn 30.

RE: Kharkov 43 Manstein strikes back Alt - Dog Soldier - 04-13-2009

Bidermann Wrote:I do get a bit fed up playing battles that are so unbalanced that they are worthless in playing.

While I am not familiar with this particular scenario, you are welcome to create your own scenarios for any title we support in the database and host it here for others to play.

Dog Soldier

RE: Kharkov 43 Manstein strikes back Alt - Krak - 04-13-2009

Now days I spend a lot of time thoroughly checking games for balance before comitting to playing them. While perfect balance can't be acheived at least you can weed out the 'shockers'. My advice is if you are going to spend 100's of hours playing a campaign game, its worth a couple of hours assessing play balance beforehand. Its the old case of 'buyer beware' :eek1:

RE: Kharkov 43 Manstein strikes back Alt - Bidermann - 04-13-2009

Its the old case of 'buyer beware'

Very true

RE: Kharkov 43 Manstein strikes back Alt - Ricky B - 04-14-2009

I guess you got what you paid for it in this case :).

Rick, designer of this one, and yes I have played it as Soviets a couple of times through and did fine one time and got beat up the other. Will probably even update it too, to make it more playable, if I get some useful feedback on how it played.

RE: Kharkov 43 Manstein strikes back Alt - James Ward - 04-14-2009

Ricky B Wrote:I guess you got what you paid for it in this case :).

Rick, designer of this one, and yes I have played it as Soviets a couple of times through and did fine one time and got beat up the other. Will probably even update it too, to make it more playable, if I get some useful feedback on how it played.

I really like the scenario as there are so many 'fronts' that it's hard to know what is going on. I only played it as the Germans against the AI. The AI gave me a game for the first few days but then stopped dead. Perhaps it's units were exhuasted.
In the beginning the Russians were pushing hard all over the place and in a lot of places I was definately on the defensive and in danger of being overwhelmed in spots. The bunkers are really hard for the Russian to attack though so it's unlikely they will take any part of Kharkov or the other city to the SE.
I don't know how it would play out with humans but it certainly is an interesting scenario compared to other large campaign games.

RE: Kharkov 43 Manstein strikes back Alt - Ricky B - 04-14-2009

Thanks for the info James. The first time I played it HTH, my German opponent held too long around Kharkov and I cut off many of the troops there - took awhile to liquidate the pocket though. Wiking in the south is a bit too tough/strong, need to weaken it significantly, and I think adding a replacement rate for the Soviet tank units would be good, as they got a lot of new tanks during the fighting - if they can rest anyway.

And I think I have a version that isn't quite ready with Soviet exit hexes in the southeast if the current one doesn't have it to force the Germans to try and hold the area, protecting the flank of the units on the Mius river - as in my second game the Germans abandoned the area and moved west, I think, slaughtering the Soviets pushing east.

Rick

RE: Kharkov 43 Manstein strikes back Alt - Mr Grumpy - 04-14-2009

Krak Wrote:Now days I spend a lot of time thoroughly checking games for balance before comitting to playing them. While perfect balance can't be acheived at least you can weed out the 'shockers'. My advice is if you are going to spend 100's of hours playing a campaign game, its worth a couple of hours assessing play balance beforehand. Its the old case of 'buyer beware' :eek1:

While i agree there are "shockers" out there, as we have seen from the recent "Proper protocol for intellegence gathering?" thread it is just this kind of thorough checking that some players do not want to do in order to play a scenario blind, it is a no win situation really.

RE: Kharkov 43 Manstein strikes back Alt - Volcano Man - 04-14-2009

Scenario designers put a lot of thought and time into making these camapigns and scenarios, so if someone thinks it is not balanced then by all means, mention specific cases so that the scenario designer can look it over.

I would say that play style and unfamiliarity with the _Alt unit values account for 90% of all frustrations, but you have to remember too that most of the time large campaigns are usually designed, made available, and then constantly tweaked and balanced over time.