• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Long War Scenario Playtesters requested...
03-25-2009, 05:06 AM,
Playtest vs AI
I ran a quick playtest of this scenario versus the AI as both the Taliban and the Canadians.

As the Canadians, I managed a draw. I put a hurting on the Taliban, pinning many of them, but they managed to exit one RPG team. Another two points and I'd have had a minor loss. Both LAVs survived, using them as longer range fire support, until the end when I tried to intercept the fleeing enemy. Basically, I pushed the infantry hard towards the ambush and tried to kill/pin as many of them as I could. I was hoping to score a leader kill, but failed. The Taliban AI seemed to be firing flares or something from their end, but I didn't have that option when I played with them. Any comment on that? It didn't seem to illuminate them, so I'm not sure exactly what that was.

As the Taliban it was a most glorious victory over the infidels at 31 points. The AI didn't bother to try to avoid the RPG team and it scored a kill on the southern most LAV in the second turn. The AI then graciously moved the other LAV right into the sights of the northern RPG team and it was goodnight Irene. Considering this a major blow to my enemy, I began a withdrawl using my mortars as cover. Even with some of my men Demoralized, they were able to ge to the exit without any trouble. The damage was done.

All-in-all, a fun little scenario that seems to be weighted towards the Taliban forces. With the smaller units, assaulting the Taliban positions might be tricky in order to gain points, and you really have to keep those LAVs clear of the RPG teams otherwise they'll go down hard. Once one of them gets clipped, it's hard for the Allies to really win, and then the Taliban can simply start to withdraw for the major. Perhaps adding a slight element of either a mortar team or off board support later in the game could slow them down a bit. Close quarters for arty, however...
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
Quote this message in a reply
03-25-2009, 09:40 AM,
RE: Long War Scenario Playtesters requested...
Thanks for your playthrough and comments. I assume that the flares were the mortar. The Taliban don't have anything else like that.

After hearing peoples comments, I think the addition of some off board artillery would help. I am also thinking removing the 5 point hex, and making it just about casualties.

I'm a hussar, I'm a Hun,  I'm a wretched Englishman
Routing Bonaparte at Waterloo
I'm a dragoon on a dun, I'm a Cossack on the run
I'm a horse soldier, timeless, through and through

Corb Lund - Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier

03-25-2009, 10:57 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-25-2009, 10:59 PM by TheBigRedOne.)
Mad_Dog Wrote:Thanks for your playthrough and comments. I assume that the flares were the mortar. The Taliban don't have anything else like that.

After hearing peoples comments, I think the addition of some off board artillery would help. I am also thinking removing the 5 point hex, and making it just about casualties.

Actually losing that 5 pointer would actually make it much harder for the Allies to win this scenario. It's already weighted towards the Taliban (my opinion). Keep it, or shift the victory conditions. Losing 5 points outright makes their job even more difficult....

I tried Illumination rounds with those mortars, you have no Illumination Limit set up. I have no idea what those effects are that appear with the Taliban AI, but I've seen it twice now. Have you seen it in your playtesting?

The off board arty will be very much danger close, and could inflict some serious fratricide. I'd opt for some sort of air strike or gun run at those distances. Big rounds would, most likely, effect your troops as well...

The only comment I have, and it's more for Andrew, is that with the new explosion graphics, you kinda lose the sense of how many hexes are impacted by various arty/mortar rounds. You only see the explosion on the directly impacted hex, but anything 82mm and above has larger impact zones. Any way of tweaking that?
03-26-2009, 12:20 AM,
TheBigRedOne Wrote:The only comment I have, and it's more for Andrew, is that with the new explosion graphics, you kinda lose the sense of how many hexes are impacted by various arty/mortar rounds. You only see the explosion on the directly impacted hex, but anything 82mm and above has larger impact zones. Any way of tweaking that?

I dont hink there is a change in there Alan. However Andrew limited some 82mm mortar radius with 1 hex. At least in AIW. I can see radius blasts in heavier calibres.
03-26-2009, 01:29 AM,
Correct. The game only supports explosions in the directly affected hex. The new graphic is in effect a one-for-one replacement so I'm not sure I understand what you mean, Alan.

I'll admit there are some inconsistencies in the blast radius and this is easily corrected. As to whether it should be contained to just one hex (40m) or have a larger radius, I'm not sure. An 80m kill radius (two hexes) for a 82mm mortar seems excessive. Does anyone know whether the effects diminish the further the explosion travels? If so, then perhaps it should be increased.
For updates on my mods, visit IronX Mods Blog.
03-26-2009, 01:48 AM,
IronX Wrote:An 80m kill radius (two hexes) for a 82mm mortar seems excessive. Does anyone know whether the effects diminish the further the explosion travels? If so, then perhaps it should be increased.

Good point. I think it is excessive to have 80m radius for a medium mortar. I have been thinking about decreasing it for the new titles. It wont be consistent with the older titles though.
03-26-2009, 01:53 AM,
IronX Wrote:Correct. The game only supports explosions in the directly affected hex. The new graphic is in effect a one-for-one replacement so I'm not sure I understand what you mean, Alan.

I'll admit there are some inconsistencies in the blast radius and this is easily corrected. As to whether it should be contained to just one hex (40m) or have a larger radius, I'm not sure. An 80m kill radius (two hexes) for a 82mm mortar seems excessive. Does anyone know whether the effects diminish the further the explosion travels? If so, then perhaps it should be increased.

Oz answered my question with regards to this. I know in KW, an 82mm mortar has a blast radius greater than 40m (at least that's what I'm assuming given the size of the 'blast circle' that radiates from the impact point, so I assumed that the one in LW did as well.
03-26-2009, 05:09 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-26-2009, 05:09 AM by IronX.)
Ozgur Budak Wrote:Good point. I think it is excessive to have 80m radius for a medium mortar. I have been thinking about decreasing it for the new titles. It wont be consistent with the older titles though.

A quick Google search reveals that, according to FM 23-90, the 81mm mortar has a blast radius of 34m, while the 120mm mortar is 75m. With that in mind, I'll make adjustments to these loads for future updates of my mods.
For updates on my mods, visit IronX Mods Blog.
03-26-2009, 11:09 AM,
TheBigRedOne Wrote:Actually losing that 5 pointer would actually make it much harder for the Allies to win this scenario. It's already weighted towards the Taliban (my opinion). Keep it, or shift the victory conditions. Losing 5 points outright makes their job even more difficult....

I tried Illumination rounds with those mortars, you have no Illumination Limit set up. I have no idea what those effects are that appear with the Taliban AI, but I've seen it twice now. Have you seen it in your playtesting?

I just finished a game, and all I saw were mortar rounds. In previous games that is all that I saw as well, maybe it`s a animation screwing up with your version.:conf:

I`ve tweaked it a little, added some more firepower to the Canadians, and removed the leader from the Taliban. His 5 points alone made it tough to get more than a draw, even if everyone else was a casaulty. You can download the updated one at the link below, it isn`t on the Blitz yet. Thanks to everyone who played it, please try it again.:cool2:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=0f705...f6e8ebb871

03-26-2009, 11:30 AM,
How do those who`ve played it feel about the way a section is divided into 2 fireteams and a leader? Do you feel it reduces the firepower, adds flexibility, etc?