• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Long War Scenario Playtesters requested...
03-20-2009, 11:33 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-20-2009, 11:42 AM by Mad_Dog.)
Long War Scenario Playtesters requested...
I have a scenario for Long War that requires some testing. I've played it through too many times to be objective now, and any constructive criticism is welcome. I've set it up to play against the AI from both sides, but it's designed to played as Canadians.

I have a new submap and OOB, and I modified the data files to add a weapon. I think I included all the necesary files in the .rar file, if you have any problems please let me know.

Thanks!

EDIT: This will have to wait till I upload the file somewhere, since I can't attach a .rar file.

EDIT: Alright, I submitted it to H2H testing, once it's approved, I'll bump my thread. Thanks for your patience.

I'm a hussar, I'm a Hun,  I'm a wretched Englishman
Routing Bonaparte at Waterloo
I'm a dragoon on a dun, I'm a Cossack on the run
I'm a horse soldier, timeless, through and through

Corb Lund - Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier

Quote this message in a reply
03-20-2009, 12:20 PM,
RE: Long War Scenario Playtesters requested...
I'd just like to add a word of caution for those who want to use modified data files in that they should be mindful that altered data files won't necessarily be compatible with later 'official' releases of the mod. That's not to say you can't use them, of course, but unless I add changes to the 'master' file, it won't appear in any updates.
For updates on my mods, visit IronX Mods Blog.
03-20-2009, 12:40 PM,
I added the C7 rifle. All the Canadian troops had M-16s, and being Canadian I had to add it. :)

03-20-2009, 01:36 PM,
The C8's there already if you want to use that. I can add the C7 easily enough, however.
03-20-2009, 04:38 PM,
Past experience shows that different dat files around can be real headache so I recommend having a shared dat file. If you really want to have your dat make sure that you changed absolutely nothing (including spelling) in the default dats. Just add new items.
03-20-2009, 10:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-20-2009, 10:44 PM by Mad_Dog.)
IronX Wrote:The C8's there already if you want to use that. I can add the C7 easily enough, however.

From my research, it looks like the majority of riflemen still use the C7. The C8 is used by officers or for CQB.

Ozgur Budak Wrote:Past experience shows that different dat files around can be real headache so I recommend having a shared dat file. If you really want to have your dat make sure that you changed absolutely nothing (including spelling) in the default dats. Just add new items.

I added the C7 and the C7 M203. Nothing else was modified, maybe IronX could add those to the official .dat.

03-21-2009, 01:07 AM,
Mad Dog:

I was hesitant about accepting your scenario for playtesting with the modifications to the dat files. Like Ozgur, I am aware that this can cause huge problems. However, since this is a mod and not a HPS supported game, I figured it was ok. The problem is that when I tried to load your scenario, I got an error message. I am not sure what the problem is, but we will need to figure it out before it can be released for playtesting. You might try emailing it to some other willing testers and see if they have the same problem that I do.

Jeff Conner
SB H2H Custodian
03-21-2009, 01:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-21-2009, 01:12 AM by Ozgur Budak.)
Yes they should be added at least in the next update. Your dats will overwrite the existing dats. Thats no big issue if you didnt change anything. However problems arise when another player design his own scenario with your dats not knowing that actually it is not the official release dat.

Btw I am glad another fella is giving time for scenario design job. We should have more custom scenarios for this fine series.
03-21-2009, 01:52 AM,
Jeff: I think for now I will redo my OOB with a standard .dat file, and then try uploading it. I didn't realize the problems it could cause. What files will I need to upload with the scenario then? The .oob, .map, .scn and I have a .log file that was created as well. Is this for the AI? Do i need to upload it as well?

03-21-2009, 03:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-21-2009, 04:26 AM by IronX.)
Just the first three is all you need.

I will add the new weapons to the master weapon dat file and they will be available in a future update. It's unlikely that they will be compatible with your scenario, however.