• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

PBEM Generated Battle (Quick Battle)
02-24-2009, 12:57 PM,
RE: PBEM Generated Battle (Quick Battle)
I started this thread here instead of the Matrix forum because of the PBEM nature of the club. Now I wonder what use this would be to the club.
My opinion:
No use for the ladder.
Possible use by opponents looking for something different.
For the ladder, how would they be reported and would the files be put in the DB?
When I was new to the club I playtested a scen PBEM. My opponent recorded the battle and since it wasn't in the DB, he used SM2. I saw that he had a lot of SM2 victories and asked him why he told me he hadn't played the scen before. He explained that the SMs were for battles not in the DB and that he had not played the scen.
Since then, you can no longer record playtests.

I don't care about the ladder and wonder if these just for fun battles should be recorded at all. They could be however with the SM#.

I don't think the scens should be uploaded since anyone can generate their own. There would be confusion over the name, Meeting Engagement etc, and files named Random0 etc.

If you like to shuffle a deck and see what you can do with what you are dealt, give GBs a try. Don't expect a real scenario, or historical, or balanced.
Quote this message in a reply
02-24-2009, 08:48 PM,
RE: PBEM Generated Battle (Quick Battle)
From Rule #5:
"Gaming ladders are a tried and true method of tracking a gamer's progress over time. Our ladder's are intended to encourage wargaming. As such, Blitz members are rewarded for playing, whether they win, lose, or draw."

Fair enough Junk.
If you don't care about the ladder and the ladder is what drives the CS games at this club, then your points should be put in their proper place? :chin:

If generated battles are that much fun, players will use them. If they play them only for fun, and they do not want to report them, then more power to them. It does kinda work contrary to the ladder concept? But, I see your point.
If they want to take time to upload them into the dBASE and report them, more power to them? :smoke:
There are quite a few custom scenarios in the dBASE already that seem like they were randomly generated. ;)

I do not mind shuffling a deck and playing a game of cards. I would have a problem if the shuffling would create "tiddly winks" when I wanted to play poker.

To each his own. And, I do believe you brought up an interestng point. It just does not fit the concept of the club's ladder system unless more work is done?

cheers

Ed
Quote this message in a reply