• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

PBEM Generated Battle (Quick Battle)
02-16-2009, 01:34 AM,
PBEM Generated Battle (Quick Battle)
If you want a random battle for a change, try this:

Generate battle, pick your choices, start battle, allow both sides manual control.
Do not move, from file select save as... and name the file (anything simple).
Start Scenario selector program, click Only Random, then game (EF WF RS)
You should see Random000, or other number if you generated before, highlighted.
Select the last if you have more than 000.
At the bottom of the window, you can change first side, number of turns, air, smoke, ammo.
Click Launch as ScnPick.Scn
Game will start and open the battle. Exit battle without saving.
From Main Menu chose Play Scenario, then PBEM, New Battle. Scroll through looking for the type of battle, i.e. Meeting Engagement.
File Name will be Random0.SCN or whatever number you picked above.
Continue as normal PBEM.
Quote this message in a reply
02-17-2009, 05:29 AM,
RE: PBEM Generated Battle (Quick Battle)
This sound intersting!

:)
Send this user an email
02-17-2009, 05:39 AM,
I forgot to add that you need to send the map, org, and scn files to your opponent.
02-17-2009, 02:40 PM,
RADO and I started a battle.

I generated the battle with 1943, June, North, Clear, Battalion, Germans and Russians, Meeting Engagement, Lt Hills, Lt Woods, Lt Pop.

MEs split the map pretty well but units come on as reinforcements. Expect a few turns or 10 before we make contact. The exciting thing is we don't know what we will get for units.

I then went to Scenario Selector and changed the first side to Allies. Then launched as a scnpick battle. I then have Random0.scn, map, org, plus scnpick.scn

I start the battle as Allies, do my moves, end turn and name the bte. I send the four files above plus the bte to my opponent.

This may be old news to old time players but the new twist is the Scenario Selector program that allows you to change first side and other things list above.
02-17-2009, 02:43 PM,
From Simovitch's DCG manual are the types of battles you can generate:
1 = Meeting Engagement – All forces enter by reinforcement. One side is tasked with
defending objectives that are slightly closer to the defenders edge. No Exit.
2 = Delaying Action – Attacker begins near the center of the map. Usually most of
Defender’s forces on board at start, and about 2/3rds of the attacker’s. Defender
objectives close to defender’s map edge. Attacker can Exit for additional VP.
3 = Static Line - Similar to Delaying Action but No Exit.
4 = Pocket Breakout – Attacker begins near the center of the map. Most of Attacker’s
forces on board at start, and about 2/3rds of the defender’s. Defender objectives slightly
closer to center of map. Attacker can Exit for additional VP.
5 = Armored Breakthrough – Attacker begins near the center of the map. Usually 2/3rds
of Attacker’s forces on board at start, and about 2/3rds of the defender’s. Defender
objectives slightly closer to center of map. Attacker can Exit for additional VP.
6 = River Crossing – Available only to Infantry Core Groups. Map is elongated, with a
Major River running across. Defender begins well forward with River at his back.
Attacker receives assault boats. No Exit.
7 = Bridgehead - Attacker begins near the center of the map. Defender objectives slightly
closer to center of map. Usually all of Defender’s forces on board at start, and about
2/3rds of the attacker’s. No Exit.
8 = Mopping Up – Similar to Bridgehead.
9 = Highway Clearing - Attacker begins near the center of the map. Defender objectives
slightly closer to center of map. Usually most of Defender’s forces enter by
reinforcement, and about 1/3rds of the attacker’s. Attacker can Exit for additional VP
10 = Recon - Attacker begins near the center of the map. Defender objectives slightly
closer to center of map. Usually most of Attacker’s forces enter by reinforcement, and
about 1/3rds of the defender’s. No Exit.
11 = Mountain Pass - Attacker begins near the center of the map. Usually 2/3rds of
Attacker’s forces on board at start, and about 2/3rds of the defender’s.
02-18-2009, 04:07 AM,
I think this is really a great idea. While I don't know if the scenarios created in this manner will be fairly matched, it is something "outside the box", and I look forward to seeing how it goes.

- Greg

:)
Send this user an email
02-18-2009, 05:18 AM,
This thread might make a good sticky.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
02-18-2009, 06:34 AM,
Why I started this thread.
I've had RS for a few years. Got into CS again when I saw the upcoming Matrix version and a friend got RS. Joined here two years ago. Some how I got the idea that you couldn't play generated battles PBEM. After all my messing about with DCGs I have a bit of understanding of generated battles. After giving this a try, I looked at the ladder and sequence for reporting battles, and the Scenario SM#s. Checked the manual and sure enough, back in FAQs it says you can PBEM generated battles.

Im my two years here, noone has ever suggested to play a generated battle. Recently the subject was somewhat brought up in the Points Value thread and I thought I'd investigate. Coupled with the newfound admiration for the Scenario Selector Program.

Maybe some old timers could post here that if they have had any experience with GBs PBEM and their thoughts.
02-20-2009, 10:40 AM,
Any ideas how to score these? The victory conditions are like DCGs. First side just gets points + or -
02-20-2009, 11:48 AM,
Scoring would be based on the size modifier and adjusted size modifier.
If you are reporting it as a scenario it should be uploaded to the scenario dBASE?
The "creator" or "initial users" would have to go in and set up the scenario parameters?
I've never played a generated battle against another member or renamed one to a scenario. But, from scenario design standpoint the "scn" file would be part of your scenarios group and available for "edit"?

If I have time I may tinker with one and see what can be done.

Ed