• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

PBEM Generated Battle (Quick Battle)
02-20-2009, 12:16 PM,
RE: PBEM Generated Battle (Quick Battle)
I'm thinking around the 80-20 rule might work. 80-20 Major, 60-40 Minor, between 41-59 Draw.

DCGs and Generated do not have Victory conditions. The Minor/Major/Draw boxes are all zero. First side gets kill points and objective points displayed in total.
One of the players might have to add the objective points total, although in this battle, I as Allies and first side, had all the objectives at the start, so my total score at the start was the total objectives. In my DCGs, the enemy has the objectives and my total is zero.
The total first side score at the end will be obj's plus the difference in kills. Divide one number by the other to get the percent.

BTW there is a chart that shows turns*complexity = modified complexity then the chart tells you what SM number to use to add the battle to the db.
Quote this message in a reply
02-21-2009, 04:10 PM,
If anyone is following this thread, check my math and thinking.

If we kill each other and I kill 100 point and you kill 100 points the net is 0.
If there are 1000 points in objectives and at the end you have 800 and I have 200 then you have 80% and a major victory. If I killed 500 to your 100 the net is 400. Subtract the 400 from your 800 = 400. Now you have 40% of the 1000 and I have 60%.
The net and objective total will be shown for the first side player and he must note the original objective points total.
02-22-2009, 12:48 AM,
But, the ability to set win/loss parameters are available.
And, the random generator puts victory hexes on the map, based on which type battle you select.
I am working on a "generated battle" scenario, to fit into the dBASE.
It's actually quite fun to come up with a name, description and win/loss parameters for the hypothetical the computer created.
One thing I noticed, is that the computer generated a corps for each side, though I selected a battalion sized match.
When you peel off all the units you get quite a bit to work with. I am going to revise the OOB's and cut it down to a brigade sized fight.

Sorry, not quite the direction you were heading but, it shows the flexibility of random generated battles.

One question; if I rename the files do the OOB and MAP files still relate to the SCN file?

Ed
02-22-2009, 12:59 AM,
The .scn file will always call the original .org and .map files. In the tool bar click "show files". If you rename the org and map files you have to create a new scenario and call for those files. But, since your making a brigade battle out of a corps battle, you'll have to do that any way. Puzzled why it gave you a corps sized force when you asked for somehting else.

J2d; I like your thinking. It will be nice to have a "formula" for determining victory levels.
Send this user an email
02-22-2009, 10:35 AM,
I guess simply renaming the ORG and MAP files will disconnect them from the scen file? Since I am stripping the SCN and redoing it all I may just have to do that. Though the "realism" only crowd might not like it? :rolleyes:
I was highly surprised when I saw the two German panzer divisions and all the other troops. :eek1:
Though, it did give me something to play with. :chin:Whip

cheers

Ed
02-22-2009, 11:05 AM,
When you ask for Battalion sized, you get battalion sized.The Battalion is part of a regiment, division, and Corps.The game just gives you the Battalion, Regiment, Division, and Corps HQ unit but its still a battalion sized game.

Hope I said this right.
02-22-2009, 11:10 AM,
First downside found. Looks like you can only start GBs from Axis in EF. I wanted a late war Armoured Breakthrough as Soviets. Nope, only as Axis.

RADO and I finished out first battle. I started out with oxcarts and peasants and the German blitz zoomed to the Obj. By the time my SU122s arrived he had control of the battlefield. I suffered a major defeat.
02-22-2009, 11:36 PM,
Junk,
I saw a switch that allowed you to select which side goes first, in the scenario edit. That does not work? :chin:

cheers

Ed
02-22-2009, 11:53 PM,
That works for setting First Side, the side that makes the first move.

It does not, after the fact, change the setup of forces when the battle is generated.

In my Armoured Breakthrough example, the Obj are setup on the Soviet side of the map and the exit Obj is German. I do not see a way to have an Armoured Breakthrough as Soviets with Germans defending.
02-23-2009, 12:25 AM,
Ah, understood!
But, why not go into the scenario file and relocate the victory hexes?
And/or, change who's victory the hex belongs to?

cheers

Ed