• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Another New David Glantz 2010 Smolensk
12-11-2009, 06:26 AM,
RE: New David Glantz ?
got vol 2 today 700+ pages on the battle in the city proper with one chapter on the caucuses. maps and illustrations look excellent
Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2009, 11:35 AM,
I just got my copy today. it's a pretty hefty book :smoke:
War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.William Tecumseh Sherman
12-11-2009, 12:01 PM,
Is David Glantz doing two trilogies about Stalingrad for two different publishers?
12-12-2009, 06:07 AM,
On the last page of the preface of After Stalingrad ( The Red Army's Winter Offensive 1942-1943)

" This book will form part of a series seeking to restore a complete and accurate record of the war by identifying and describing concealed wartime battles and operations. The entire series takes the form of a documentary history, with one volume devoted to each of the Red Army's eight self-identified wartime campaigns."

To answer your question SnowBlue. No. This is just a guess but I think the last book of the Kansas Press Triology might come out around March 2010. The next book in this series of eight will be out June 2010
The title is Barbarossa Derailed ( The Battles for Smolensk July August 1941) It looks like alot of East Front reading material comming our way. cheers
War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.William Tecumseh Sherman
12-12-2009, 07:33 AM,
tide1 Wrote:On the last page of the preface of After Stalingrad ( The Red Army's Winter Offensive 1942-1943)

" This book will form part of a series seeking to restore a complete and accurate record of the war by identifying and describing concealed wartime battles and operations. The entire series takes the form of a documentary history, with one volume devoted to each of the Red Army's eight self-identified wartime campaigns."

To answer your question SnowBlue. No. This is just a guess but I think the last book of the Kansas Press Triology might come out around March 2010. The next book in this series of eight will be out June 2010
The title is Barbarossa Derailed ( The Battles for Smolensk July August 1941) It looks like alot of East Front reading material comming our way. cheers
Good to see you back Gramps........:bow:
12-12-2009, 09:15 AM,
I read several of his books (all published before 2007), none of them ever offered a more detailed and newer "German view" than Paul Carell (A german Ambrose, if you don't know). Is there any improvement in his newer books?
12-12-2009, 09:36 AM,
Lefty!!! I missed you Eek I hope you and your good missus are doing well. cheers
12-12-2009, 10:02 AM,
Posted by vionville - Today 08:15 PM
I read several of his books (all published before 2007), none of them ever offered a more detailed and newer "German view" than Paul Carell (A german Ambrose, if you don't know). Is there any improvement in his newer books?

Glantz still writes from the Russian perspective of the battles and campaigns. He states in all his books about the Ostfront that he is not trying to give the German or Western veiw but how the Russians went about planning and fighting.
12-12-2009, 10:50 AM,
vionville Wrote:I read several of his books (all published before 2007), none of them ever offered a more detailed and newer "German view" than Paul Carell (A german Ambrose, if you don't know). Is there any improvement in his newer books?

SS Obersturmbannführer Paul Karl Schmidt (aka Paul Carell) was a worthless Nazi propagandist who should have been hung after the war. For example, justified the deportation and murder of Hungarian Jews with this rationale:

Quote:The planned undertaking (against the Jews of Budapest) will create significant attention, and lead to a strong reaction because of its scope. Those who are against us will scream and talk of a hunt on humans, and will try to use terror propaganda to increase feelings against us in neutral states. I would therefore like to suggest whether it would not be possible to prevent these things by creating reasons and events justifying the undertaking, e.g. finding explosives in Jewish association buildings and Synagogues, plans for sabotage attacks, for a coup d’etat, attacks on policemen, smuggling of currency in significant amounts to destroy the fabric of the Hungarian economy. The final piece of this should be a particularly heinous case, which can then be used to justify the dragnet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Carell

Glantz is very balanced in the Stalingrad series between the German and Soviet POV. Some of his previous books, by their nature (like Leningrad for example) focused predominantly on the Soviet side
12-16-2009, 10:48 AM,
"Paul Carell?" Sheesh, what is this, 1968? :rolleyes:

Unlike "Carell", Glantz is an historian. Thanks for resurrecting this thread, as it's prompted me to order my copy!
"History is replete with historically stupid campaigns that make great games." Marquo