• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Another New David Glantz 2010 Smolensk
01-16-2009, 02:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-23-2010, 04:51 AM by Kuriltai.)
Another New David Glantz 2010 Smolensk
Perhaps old news,but new to me. Available to Pre-order.
"To the Gates of Stalingrad by Glantz/House.Soviet-German operations from April 42 to August 42.The first in a trilogy.
Not sure,but I think the only Glantz/House colaboration was the Kursk book?

I wonder to what depth Kharkov42 would be covered?
Quote this message in a reply
01-16-2009, 05:14 PM,
RE: New David Glantz ?
Thanks for the info.
01-19-2009, 07:20 AM,
Would recommend pre-order to anyone interested in this, Amazon has a good deal, this is not a plug !!!.
Have read four books by Glantz and the best one was Kursk which was in colaboration with House as you pointed out.
So I'm really looking forward to this one, thanks for the heads up.
01-19-2009, 07:39 AM,
Lowlander : Not sure if one of your four is the Op Mars title,if not I would reccomend that title as it very readable and deals with both sides.
01-19-2009, 09:42 AM,
His book on Leningrad was also very readable, if yyou like operational histories.
01-20-2009, 07:15 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-20-2009, 07:15 AM by Lowlander.)
Kuriltai : Yes have read Zhukov's greatest defeat, another excellent read, and Kharkov 1942 is so highly detailed I'm finding it heavy going.

For late war I would recommend "Marshal Zhukov at the Oder" and "The Battle of Berlin" both by Tony Le Tissier.
Loads of detail on unit composition ( although not comprehensive, but what OOB's are ) with good maps and a gripping but easy read.

I suspect these are reprints of an original one volume issue.
Again Amazon had a good price if anyone is interested.
01-20-2009, 08:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-20-2009, 08:26 AM by Kuriltai.)
Quote:Kharkov 1942 is so highly detailed I'm finding it heavy going.

That's why I was intrigued about this new book.Apparently not alot about K42,but I think I will give it a try anyway. :hissy: ;)
01-20-2009, 08:50 AM,
Kuriltai Wrote:
Quote:Kharkov 1942 is so highly detailed I'm finding it heavy going.

That's why I was intrigued about this new book.Apparently not alot about K42,but I think I will give it a try anyway. :hissy: ;)

I got some book vouchers for Christmas. I was wondering what to spend them on. I think I know now.

Not Kharkov but deinitely Fall Blau. It sounds like the three volumes will deal with Fall Blau, Stalingrad and hopefully little Saturn. Excellent.
01-21-2009, 08:20 AM,
I can't recommend his work on Kursk and Operation Mars highly enough. He's the pre-eminent military historian of our age.

Richard
01-22-2009, 09:09 AM,
Belorussia 1944 The Soviet General Staff Study by David M Glantz and Harold S Orenstein is also one of the better books.
This took me by surprise as I'd read the staff study on Kursk which due to the bland Soviet writing then translation was heavy going.