• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Another New David Glantz 2010 Smolensk
01-25-2009, 07:00 AM,
RE: New David Glantz ?
I broke down and pre-ordered throwing in Zetterling's Korsun and Nash's VG book as well.Should get me thru the winter... :rolleyes:
Quote this message in a reply
01-30-2009, 12:23 AM,
You will not be disappointed with Korsun, lots of interesting info, inexperienced Panther crews and the number of breakdowns etc.
01-31-2009, 03:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-31-2009, 03:48 PM by HMCS Rosthern.)
I've decided to pick up a number of the Glantz books. Are there any differences between the hard and soft cover versions of these Glantz books? I have seen books (not Glantz) where the soft cover version was missing pictures, maps, tables, etc., that were found in the hard cover version. So I want to know whether I should by the hard cover versions.

Thank you.
01-31-2009, 08:30 PM,
I always buy the hardbacks so cannot comment, but I've bought a lotta books secondhand, check ebay, if I remember correctly they have a number of the books mentioned above at a reasonable price.
But again Amazon have good prices with free postage.

Wait till the last minute before you bid, don't go overboard and check postage costs to find out if it's a bargain.
06-01-2009, 12:50 AM,
Well as I live in the UK the book To the Gates of Stalingrad just arrived this week, I've gotta say what a difference Jonathan M. House makes to the David M. Glantz books they are just as detailed and informative but so much a better engrossing read.
Again would recommend this one to all East Front readers.
12-09-2009, 04:38 AM,
Armageddon in Stalingrad by David M.Glantz with Jonathan M.House the second book in The Stalingrad Trilogy just arrived by post today.
First impression is the maps are really detailed in fact so good they could be used for the Squad Battles game.
Thought I'd give you lads the chance to add it to you Christmas list !!!.
12-09-2009, 01:31 PM,
My only issue with some of his books (specifically Kursk & Zhukov's Greatest Defeat) is that you need a magnifying glass to read the maps. Dark gray on light gray is really hard to make out.
.."A critical oversight that has led to yet another mouthful of poo." . Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe
12-09-2009, 03:54 PM,
Aside from the quality of the maps, To the Gates of Stalingrad was an engrossing read. Lots of good info on largely forgotten soviet counteroffensives and a debunking of the common story that the soviets just faded back to stalingrad - they fought the whole way (but managed to avoid the massive encirclements of 1941)

The coverage of Army Group A and the caucasuses is good, but left me lacking a sense of conclusion - it must get picked up in the 3rd book

should get Armageddon in Stalingrad tomorrow or Thursday from Amazon
12-09-2009, 07:23 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-09-2009, 07:36 PM by Lowlander.)
A Good point about the maps however they are much improved in this edition.

Found this link to a fantastic set of military maps on Russia and other areas, maybe I should make another post on the subject,.
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/ams/eastern_europe/

Hum hum, how does one go about printing these out.
12-10-2009, 08:38 AM,
A fantastic resource Lowlander, Cheers