• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Air recon and carpet bombing question
01-21-2009, 09:18 PM,
RE: Air recon and carpet bombing question
Another question concerning the same scenario France '40 0510_02 Alt.

What about the allies bombing the fixed axis units on the east edge of the map? These are in T mode and fixed, easy prey for bombers and the player can not do anything to defend or evade.

The fixed status of these units is that supposed to reflect that they were simply awaiting orders to advance or that they were entering the area at the time of release?
"I sincerely believe the banking institutions having the issuing power of money are more dangerous to liberty than standing armies." - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Monroe, January 1, 1815.
Quote this message in a reply
01-22-2009, 01:12 AM,
The setup of the German units on the east edge is to represent the units lined up toward Germany off map, to help limit the number being treated as reinforcements. I believe Glenn stated this quite awhile ago.

Either way, I would say purposely hitting fixed units in any game is generally gamey, assuming it is based strictly on studying enemy dispositions from the scenario startup. On the other hand, the German player can take the units out of travel mode, and the allied air is very weak generally, so it probably wouldn't be a game breaker if it happened anyway - losses would probably be low.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
01-22-2009, 02:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-22-2009, 04:51 AM by Turner.)
Yeah the hits weren't that severe althought losses of around 27 men / 6 guns per strike ocurred. I'll take them out of T mode then, thanks.
"I sincerely believe the banking institutions having the issuing power of money are more dangerous to liberty than standing armies." - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Monroe, January 1, 1815.
01-23-2009, 06:50 AM,
Although an allied player who tried that on me would be suprised to find out that I always take my fixed units out of T mode. You can alway go back into travel mode when they become fixed...

I know the artillery loses a bit of movement, but there is such a traffic jam, it usually doesnt matter..
01-23-2009, 02:44 PM,
And as RickyB said, it is considered by most to be gamey to attack fixed units that are on the board as a convenience to the designers trying to keep track of many formations that would enter as reinforcments.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
01-23-2009, 02:54 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-23-2009, 02:55 PM by von Nev.)
My $0.02 is that carpet bombing areas at the start of a game that you know there are fixed units because one looked at the opponent's setup is gamey.
01-24-2009, 01:40 AM,
If I want to see the effect of counterbattery fire on a ? unit, I look at the victory points to see if the enemy has suffered any additional gun loses.