• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Air recon and carpet bombing question
01-14-2009, 09:39 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-14-2009, 09:39 PM by Turner.)
Air recon and carpet bombing question
Is it considered gamey to use air recon, spot units and use carpet bombing on them? We are using 'limited air recon' optional rule, still it is possible to use air recon to spot then carpet bomb. Carpet bombing doesn't need a defined target does it, just a specified hex? It's not very reliable to carpet bomb, it seems to have about 60-75% accuracy or so. At the time I didn't have any tac bombers available, but I believe tac strikes on air spotted targets is not possible, correct?

I didn't think much of right then wanting to finish the turn but of course my opponent started to wonder when bombs were falling on his rear units. Is this considered gamey or not? Am I allowed to do that?
"I sincerely believe the banking institutions having the issuing power of money are more dangerous to liberty than standing armies." - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Monroe, January 1, 1815.
Quote this message in a reply
01-14-2009, 11:57 PM,
RE: Air recon and carpet bombing question
I wouldn't say this was gamey. Using carpet bombing near your own front line, i.e. within visual range of you own units is suicidal. Also you can't control where your bombs go with accuracy so I would say this is fine.
01-16-2009, 02:58 AM,
Hmm...I realize now that I must be doing something gamey and will have to stop.

We too play with limited air recon, and no bombing of hexes, however, we do play with counterbattery fire. I got into the habit of always shooting at those '?' but was somewhat frustrated in not knowing if I was doing any harm. Sooooo....I flew a recon air to the hex, and voila! The units in the hex became spotted. Now, when the artillery piece pops on, I can see the damage I am doing. Trouble is, it considers the hex spotted to all units. And probably, my firepower is increased.

At first it was only an artillery piece, and I would blast it with units I would have used anyways and not think I was doing anything wrong, but then one recon, I got units that were in travel mode. And I blasted them. Hence what I now realize is the gamey part....

So I didnt set out to find a way to be gamey, I kind of evolved into it.
01-16-2009, 03:08 AM,
Liquid_Sky Wrote:At first it was only an artillery piece, and I would blast it with units I would have used anyways and not think I was doing anything wrong, but then one recon, I got units that were in travel mode. And I blasted them. Hence what I now realize is the gamey part....

That's a pretty good reason not to stack units in travel mode with your artillery since you never know when they will fire counter-battery and expose themselves! :)
01-16-2009, 05:46 AM,
Liquid_Sky Wrote:Hmm...I realize now that I must be doing something gamey and will have to stop.

We too play with limited air recon, and no bombing of hexes, however, we do play with counterbattery fire. I got into the habit of always shooting at those '?' but was somewhat frustrated in not knowing if I was doing any harm. Sooooo....I flew a recon air to the hex, and voila! The units in the hex became spotted. Now, when the artillery piece pops on, I can see the damage I am doing. Trouble is, it considers the hex spotted to all units. And probably, my firepower is increased.

At first it was only an artillery piece, and I would blast it with units I would have used anyways and not think I was doing anything wrong, but then one recon, I got units that were in travel mode. And I blasted them. Hence what I now realize is the gamey part....

So I didnt set out to find a way to be gamey, I kind of evolved into it.

I don't see that as gamey. As James said, this is a reason why you should not stack units with artillery. I make sure to keep artillery away from roads that I am using to moving stuff to and from the front line. Even if you don't use the recon aircraft on the "?" marker, if you bombard the hex with artillery and you opponents has T mode units there, then I think every unit in the hex takes damage.
Send this user an email
01-16-2009, 05:53 AM,
33vortex Wrote:Is it considered gamey to use air recon, spot units and use carpet bombing on them? We are using 'limited air recon' optional rule, still it is possible to use air recon to spot then carpet bomb. Carpet bombing doesn't need a defined target does it, just a specified hex? It's not very reliable to carpet bomb, it seems to have about 60-75% accuracy or so. At the time I didn't have any tac bombers available, but I believe tac strikes on air spotted targets is not possible, correct?

This is pretty much what these units are intended for. I often use them to bomb cities that have vital cross roads just, at the very least, to rubble the area. If you use recon aircraft and spot a unit moving through the city and then bomb it, so much the better. As you said, carpet bombing is extremely inaccurate and the odds are, you will not hit your target.

Besides bombing cities with cross roads, I always look for an area behind the front line that has a high concentration of units (units it many different hexes adjacent, in one area) and choose the median hex. This will no doubt result in the bombers hitting "something", but most likely not the hex you wanted.

It is just "one of those things". If you opponent knows you have carpet bombers, then it is similar to playing MC and knowing your opponent has tactical nukes. You just have to be very careful and not present too many fat juicy targets.
Send this user an email
01-16-2009, 06:11 AM,
Tactical nukes!? Eek

Would be kinda nice to have those in PzC at certain times. Big Grin
"I sincerely believe the banking institutions having the issuing power of money are more dangerous to liberty than standing armies." - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Monroe, January 1, 1815.
01-16-2009, 11:56 AM,
Volcano Man Wrote:
33vortex Wrote:Is it considered gamey to use air recon, spot units and use carpet bombing on them? We are using 'limited air recon' optional rule, still it is possible to use air recon to spot then carpet bomb. Carpet bombing doesn't need a defined target does it, just a specified hex? It's not very reliable to carpet bomb, it seems to have about 60-75% accuracy or so. At the time I didn't have any tac bombers available, but I believe tac strikes on air spotted targets is not possible, correct?

This is pretty much what these units are intended for. I often use them to bomb cities that have vital cross roads just, at the very least, to rubble the area. If you use recon aircraft and spot a unit moving through the city and then bomb it, so much the better. As you said, carpet bombing is extremely inaccurate and the odds are, you will not hit your target.

Besides bombing cities with cross roads, I always look for an area behind the front line that has a high concentration of units (units it many different hexes adjacent, in one area) and choose the median hex. This will no doubt result in the bombers hitting "something", but most likely not the hex you wanted.

It is just "one of those things". If you opponent knows you have carpet bombers, then it is similar to playing MC and knowing your opponent has tactical nukes. You just have to be very careful and not present too many fat juicy targets.

if you carpet bomb a hex and it hits a unit next to it with a "unknown question mark" you get full fire value of bombers?
01-16-2009, 12:18 PM,
AFAIK, I think it is reduced in effectiveness but I could be wrong. Either way, I was just saying that at least you will hit "something". :)
Send this user an email
01-17-2009, 03:22 PM,
I think it is a valid use of level bombers in WW2 to hit suspected targets or as VM suggests crossroads where the enemy is likely to be or need to use. Only in Operation Cobra and Goodwood were carpet bombers ever used extensively in close support of the front lines. And as pointed out here they did cause casualties and disruption to some friendly units.

Using them to hit areas of suspected enemy concentration just behind the front was a valid use in WW2, especially right before an offensive begins.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp