• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Vyazma Campaign
12-29-2008, 12:19 AM,
RE: Vyazma Campaign
"Protected hexes has been a feature since the introduction of K42, I think, so this is nothing new."
The protected hexes have been around since a certain Marquo got on a soap box :soap: and started howling :mad: that certain ladder sharks were taking unfair advantage of a priori knowledge of the reinforcement schedule to thwart unsuspecting opponents with the gamey tactic of simply placing a minor unit such as an AT or AA piece on the reinforcement hex; as such a heroic AA rgt could stop Patton's entire 3rd Army....Eek...go figure.

HPS/GS/JT heard my besseeching whines :bow: and forthwith addressed the problem. So, this was born of the Bulge, not Kharkov. I only bring this up because the history of Pz/OPS should be chronicled properly for posterity. The young guard should have an proper appreciation of the battles fought by the dwindling old guard.

Marquo :)

"To fallen comrades"
Quote this message in a reply
12-29-2008, 01:30 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-29-2008, 01:31 AM by Turner.)
Good work Marqo your effort certainly made the game more balanced. It is unfair to have too much prior knowledge of a scenario so that you can exploit it. In my so far limited experience I've sensed that some players do and it's actually the reason why I'm playing this scenario vs the AI at all. To stand a chance against someone who've most likely played it before.

I'm glad to have brought this up, it may lead to something. Unsuspecting I was just frustrated that the turn could not be ended.

But how to solve it? Perhaps the reinforcement hexes could be altered in a way so that they do not interfere with eachother too much? That must be a much easier (and immediate) way to handle it than write new code for the game engine.
"I sincerely believe the banking institutions having the issuing power of money are more dangerous to liberty than standing armies." - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Monroe, January 1, 1815.
12-29-2008, 08:50 AM,
Send the file to HPS and they will solve the problem. BTW, there is no good excuse for playing the AI :); Vyazma is almost perfect for you to play both sides. The unit density is good for this exercise.

Marquo cheers
12-29-2008, 11:05 AM,
Actually - Protected hexes was part of the game since Smolensk v1.0
In N44 they we not used by teh designer and Allied players were running fast and expendaible AT units through the lines to block the hexes. So we corrected the Scn there after tha fact. Not sure when this came about but the Bulge Campaign was built by Greg Smith and and I think he didn't use them in that CG either and that game had to be corrected.

NMow what we have here in the Moscow Vyazma Campaign is something different. The Protected hexes is ON here but the designed used over stcaked hexes and that may have caused a problem - I am not sure.

Dog SOldier sent me a file and I can see there is something funny going on. I sent it to John be he is away right now and will get back to me when he has had a chance to look at it.

Glenn
Send this user an email
12-29-2008, 11:40 AM,
33vortex Wrote:I'm glad to have brought this up, it may lead to something. Unsuspecting I was just frustrated that the turn could not be ended.

But how to solve it? Perhaps the reinforcement hexes could be altered in a way so that they do not interfere with eachother too much? That must be a much easier (and immediate) way to handle it than write new code for the game engine.

The problem has already been sent to HPS by me and should already be in Mr. Tiller's in box with the required example btl file.

As to ending your turn, you can always opt to cancel the reinforcements when the reminder dialog box appears after attempting to advance the turn.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
12-29-2008, 05:36 PM,
Dog Soldier Wrote:
33vortex Wrote:I'm glad to have brought this up, it may lead to something. Unsuspecting I was just frustrated that the turn could not be ended.

The problem has already been sent to HPS by me and should already be in Mr. Tiller's in box with the required example btl file.

As to ending your turn, you can always opt to cancel the reinforcements when the reminder dialog box appears after attempting to advance the turn.

Dog Soldier

I think the Russian Player should vacant the entry hex, not only because it should be allowed to enter, but *if* there is a program fix, I can tell you the protection will cause a BROKEN ZONE two hexes wide. Put another way, it would be better for the Russian to move the unit away from 99,186 because a possible program fix will have a more drastic effect on surrounding units.

Glenn
Send this user an email
12-30-2008, 09:52 AM,
Hey Guys:

Its a Bug - and I have a fix.

I think what I would like to do is give the new EXE to the guys playing this game - they can test it out - not only the fix but jkust make sure all is OK and maybe after a week I'll ask John to compile a patch for HPS to release.

Sound like a plan?

Can somebody email me the list of guys in this PBEM Game and I will send out the EXE and ask that you not distribute it as there will be a patch and the pathc might contain other things that are NOT in this exe - so everyone will have to patch anyway - even if they have the EXE I have now.

Glenn
Send this user an email
12-30-2008, 11:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-30-2008, 11:07 AM by Turner.)
That's great news Glenn. Afaik there was no PBEM involved, just silly me trying out the scenario vs the AI. :whis:

:)
"I sincerely believe the banking institutions having the issuing power of money are more dangerous to liberty than standing armies." - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Monroe, January 1, 1815.
12-30-2008, 01:39 PM,
OK - well, the bug has been looked at and corrected. And I even adjusted the some of the reinforcements as there are often too many units arriving in a single hex. And there are places where the Germans and Russians have units arriving at the same location within a few game turns - so I adjusted this as well.

I want to have the EXE looked at to ensure there is nothing else broken when this fix was done - then we'll get a v1.04 posted for download.

Glenn
Send this user an email