• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Vyazma Campaign
12-28-2008, 07:26 AM,
Vyazma Campaign
HDD crash and such problems aside, I've managed to fire up PzC on the second PC.

So now there's a somewhat different, much more sinister problem. In the Vyazma Campaign scenario of Moscow '41, there are axis reinforcements coming in at 0800 hrs 4 oct at the hex 99,186. These reinforcements can not be deployed on the map, therefore the game can not proceed. I'm playing the AI mind you, to familiarize myself with the scenario.

So the first question is; Are these units supposed to enter the scenario at that location? Seeing how it's currently pretty way back behind the front line it's a valid question.

Secondly, how to fix it? Because it's unplayable.

:(
"I sincerely believe the banking institutions having the issuing power of money are more dangerous to liberty than standing armies." - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Monroe, January 1, 1815.
Quote this message in a reply
12-28-2008, 08:06 AM,
RE: Vyazma Campaign
So I think this means there is a unit on the entry hex. You may have to wait until it clears. To progress the game, press cancel on the reinforcement screen after advancing the turn.

Fury
12-28-2008, 09:19 AM,
Will try that, thanks!
"I sincerely believe the banking institutions having the issuing power of money are more dangerous to liberty than standing armies." - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Monroe, January 1, 1815.
12-28-2008, 11:20 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-29-2008, 11:46 AM by Dog Soldier.)
I think you are referring to the scenario 1002_01: Vyazma Campaign - The Last Blitz.
The Axis 1/229Aufk and the 321st Rgt of the 197th Infantry are scheduled to appear in this scenario at 08:00 4 October 1941 at hex (99,186) which is deep behind the Russian left flank at start positions on 2 Oct 1941. This deployment is between the first and second Russian defense lines. The unit may have executed a flanking maneuver in the battle or an Axis breakthrough south (off map) explains the deployment.

During any Axis turn prior to 08:00 4 October 1941, choose the menu path View> Shade> Protected hexes, you will see shading in the six adjacent hexes around the entrance point for this reinforcement group. Thus Sgt Fury's guess that a Russian unit is sitting on the reinforcement hex will not prevent the entrance of the Axis reinforcement group. When you click on the group to bring them on board, any Russian units in hex (99,186) will be eliminated. Any units in the hexes adjacent to hex (99,186) (in the protected zone) will be broken. The Russians can not stop your reinforcements from entering. Protected hexes has been a feature since the introduction of K42, I think, so this is nothing new.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
12-28-2008, 06:06 PM,
Well, I will be danged. I ran a test of the scenario and the protected hexes only half worked. The Russian units I placed in hexes (98,185), (99,185), and 100,185 were all broken as should be by the rule when I tried to bring on the Axis reinforcement group.

The Russian units I placed in hexes (98,186) and 100,186 should have been broken but were still in good order. The Russian unit in (99,186) should have been eliminated, but was not. The Axis reinforcement group was denied entrance.

I will be sending the test game file on to HPS to see why this is not working as I thought it should.

Dog Soldier
- Wyatt Earp
12-28-2008, 06:09 PM,
Not all entry hexes get the benifit of protection..in the editor you can assign a value.. Apparently the value for that hex is 0, meaning no protection.
12-28-2008, 06:12 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-28-2008, 06:17 PM by Dog Soldier.)
Sounds correct LS. On turn one of the scenario I can see the protected hexes there are shaded. How they lose the value by turn 18 when the Axis reinforcement group should appear has me stumped.
That should be fixed in an update. I think HPS will give a response in a few days. It is the holidays after all.

Dog Soldier
- Wyatt Earp
12-28-2008, 06:20 PM,
Hmm..I just fired up the editor and took a peek...

100% probablility of showing up, Protection 2. Going to fire up the game and see if I can recreate what Dog Soldier had seen.
12-28-2008, 06:23 PM,
Hmm....the Russians also get units on that same location, a few turns earlier, on 22:00 3 October 1941.

They also have a protection value of 2.
12-28-2008, 06:52 PM,
Hmm....upon further investigation, I notice that the same effect occurs at (109, 186) and (80, 186) where the Russians get Reinforcements a couple turns earlier. If I move those reinforcements one hex, then they are broken when the axis units are brought on the map; but if I leave the Russian reinforcements in there starting hex alone, I am unable to bring the Germans on, despite the editor showing a Protection value of 2.

The A/I being what it is may actually leave a unit/units in the hex, not knowing what to do with them at that moment, thus making it impossible for you to bring on your reinforcements at that time..