• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Realistic Artillery Management - FOO Rule
11-21-2008, 11:28 AM,
RE: Realistic Artillery Management - FOO Rule
keepitloki Wrote:(from experience: anyone who played round 2 of Op Sealion?)

Here, here! Toast

And I'm eager to start Round 4, BTW.

-- 30 --
Quote this message in a reply
11-21-2008, 04:17 PM,
RERomine Wrote:Assuming all guns are set up properly, have similar tube wear, firing rounds from the same lot, fire from reasonable proximity to each other, under the same weather conditions, etc., they should be able to all put their rounds in the same hex if that is the intent. They might all be in the WRONG hex, but they should be together.

I've fired plenty of WW2 era guns and even if they have individual corrections you will not get them to land in a 50 by 50 meter area, they spread to an oval over the axis of direction you are firing at (from 150 to 300 meters being a norm). And Cross opened this discussion about WW2 era arty management. SPWW2 has a bit extreme spread and often to the wrong direction but it does a good job at it otherwise, when you don't have LOS the spread is wider.

Many of you seem to forget that it is an optional rule and you are free to use it or adjust it to your liking. Feel free to discuss it with your opponent. I'd love to hear an experience from a played game how easy it is to monitor all these boxes and lines some of you would like to use when you add the spread. KISS.
Vesku

[Image: Medals50_thumb8.gif]
11-21-2008, 04:50 PM,
Vesku Wrote:I'd love to hear an experience from a played game how easy it is to monitor all these boxes and lines some of you would like to use when you add the spread. KISS.

I have no idea how to monitor the "base" FOO rule. And I suspect I'm not the only one. I confessed a one-time lapse in Sea Lion 2 to Klanx171 and he laughed at me.

-- 30 --
11-21-2008, 04:56 PM,
seabolt Wrote:
Vesku Wrote:I'd love to hear an experience from a played game how easy it is to monitor all these boxes and lines some of you would like to use when you add the spread. KISS.

I have no idea how to monitor the "base" FOO rule. And I suspect I'm not the only one. I confessed a one-time lapse in Sea Lion 2 to Klanx171 and he laughed at me.

-- 30 --

How hard it can be? Your oppo says he has one FOO, you know he can fire at one spot at a time. You can count to one, can you?
Vesku

11-21-2008, 07:44 PM,
Okay last post on this subject as views seem sorted already.
I thought the main thing was to stop spreading arty all over the map as the FOO just could not do it. So what I proposed sticks to that spirit & is no harder to police.
Can fire all at 1 hex or all at 2 or 3 adj hexes as line or cluster. Gives you some control targeting an area of a max of 50x150m instead of 50x50m.

Also setup of Battery, all tubes to be set up a max of 1 (2?) hex apart so FOO can counter battery. Also keeps them all in communication range for radio contact fail.
This means for SP arty will not be able to fire if move till back in formation which could represent setup time.
Discuss change one part & you have to fix what you broke.
11-21-2008, 08:50 PM,
Vesku Wrote:You can count to one, can you?

I think so. Can I use this finger right here? ;)

-- 30 --
11-21-2008, 08:56 PM,
seabolt Wrote:
Vesku Wrote:You can count to one, can you?

I think so. Can I use this finger right here? ;)

-- 30 --

Yes, the middle finger works as good as any. It is sometimes hard to remember where the counting starts ... and how it continues after the start.
Vesku

11-22-2008, 01:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-22-2008, 02:16 AM by RERomine.)
Vesku Wrote:
RERomine Wrote:Assuming all guns are set up properly, have similar tube wear, firing rounds from the same lot, fire from reasonable proximity to each other, under the same weather conditions, etc., they should be able to all put their rounds in the same hex if that is the intent. They might all be in the WRONG hex, but they should be together.

I've fired plenty of WW2 era guns and even if they have individual corrections you will not get them to land in a 50 by 50 meter area, they spread to an oval over the axis of direction you are firing at (from 150 to 300 meters being a norm). And Cross opened this discussion about WW2 era arty management. SPWW2 has a bit extreme spread and often to the wrong direction but it does a good job at it otherwise, when you don't have LOS the spread is wider.

Agreed that there is a certain degree of dispersion of rounds, but would 150-300m be typical on maps the size we play on? For the US 155mm M1 gun, the dispersion area is roughly 70m x 325m at a range of roughly 18km. I suspect most ranges we engage targets at in the game are no more than a quarter of that. It will obviously vary from weapon to weapon. As you point out, most dispersal variations result in rounds being long or short. Lateral dispersion is much less significant.
11-22-2008, 01:57 AM,
seabolt Wrote:I have no idea how to monitor the "base" FOO rule. And I suspect I'm not the only one. I confessed a one-time lapse in Sea Lion 2 to Klanx171 and he laughed at me.

Easy enough to verify at the end of the battle. Violations result in a forfeit and other penalties as deemed approprate by the powers that be.
11-22-2008, 02:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-22-2008, 02:45 AM by RERomine.)
Since the "FOO Rule" is optional, why not put together a second set? The existing rule could be called "FOO Rule - Basic" and another involving more advanced options such as sheafs, shifts in current fire missions, battery placement, etc. Call that "FOO Rule - Advanced". Since the rules are left to the players in a P2P games and the coordinator for tournaments, it will allow the desired realism or simplicity to be selected in advance.

Thoughts?