• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Realistic Artillery Management - FOO Rule
11-29-2008, 02:26 PM,
RE: Realistic Artillery Management - FOO Rule
Weasel Wrote:Sounds to me like shifting will increase the time delay is all, not prevent it or a single FOO shooting up the map. However, it sounds like the chasing of units with arty will be restricted somewhat by the increased time delay.

Agreed. At this point, I guess we have to see how the changes work before proceeding with any rules alterations/additions, but it doesn't sound like it will render the "FOO Rule" obsolete.
Quote this message in a reply
11-29-2008, 04:26 PM,
On CB fire targeting guns all over the place if set up correctly then you would not have to as they would be in a cluster so placement rule negates the need to. Gamey placement causes gamey tactics, its that simple.

Sounds like changes will force people to buy multiple FOOs if want effective arty to get eyes on otherwise will be replotting rather than firing. Even better will force them to be put in danger to function correctly & be able to keep mission on target instead of skulking in a corner somewhere. Counter Battery forget it I am hitting the hill I think he is on, where is my sniper I have a high priority target hence his cost. You guys that say he is expensive he should be as controls your long range killing power/area prep fire.
If you play MBT do you always buy the basic guy & hide or do you buy the guy costing 250+pts & send him forward to get eyes on & thus improve arty kill ratio a lot. Its one of those great risk vs return decisions & till down to last one its well worth risking him.
11-29-2008, 05:57 PM,
Imp Wrote:On CB fire targeting guns all over the place if set up correctly then you would not have to as they would be in a cluster so placement rule negates the need to. Gamey placement causes gamey tactics, its that simple.

An interesting way to look at it, but quite true.

Quote:Sounds like changes will force people to buy multiple FOOs if want effective arty to get eyes on otherwise will be replotting rather than firing. Even better will force them to be put in danger to function correctly & be able to keep mission on target instead of skulking in a corner somewhere. Counter Battery forget it I am hitting the hill I think he is on, where is my sniper I have a high priority target hence his cost. You guys that say he is expensive he should be as controls your long range killing power/area prep fire.
If you play MBT do you always buy the basic guy & hide or do you buy the guy costing 250+pts & send him forward to get eyes on & thus improve arty kill ratio a lot. Its one of those great risk vs return decisions & till down to last one its well worth risking him.

The only problem here is when artillery comes in, we aren't told who the spotter is. All that it tells us is if the observer has LOS or not. It would be possible to have a company commander with "eyes on" call in artillery and claim it was done by an FOO. This obviously would violate the "FOO Rule". Overall, this is a matter of trusting the person you are playing to follow all pre-game agreements.
11-29-2008, 06:31 PM,
On the point of a company commander calling in because he has eyes from my experience his strike is about as effective as A FOOs with no LOS so no gain. Its only FOOs with a LOS that seem to get the higher kill ratios, I think because a lot more lands on target.
11-30-2008, 01:05 AM,
These days, I only use FOOs so I didn't realize that. It's been a long time since I used a "zero" unit to call in arty. I guess as long as number of fire missions doesn't exceed the number of FOOs, it really doesn't matter then. One could assume the company commander is relaying information to the FOO, who then relays it to the FDC.
11-30-2008, 01:28 AM,
Dont take as gospel as must admit stopped using Comp Com a while back myself as did not see the benefit. Sometimes use to call in his 60mm MTR mainly because I know its near him so have a rough idea of what is in range for it. Your assumption makes perfect sense & apart from US is probably how it was done. With more & better radios they may have got on direct.
Because eyes on will be more important the ability to spread target area by sheafs or whatever becomes critical which was my beef anyway, as all at one hex negates kill advantage gained.
01-01-2009, 08:26 AM,
Well whats the views on new arty routines.

I am now playing with only optional rule all arty must deploy within 150m of other guns from its troop.

Size 0 units cant call but using platoon leaders has become useful as marginaly better than a FOO without LOS.
No longer do I do arty at end of turn sometimes adjusting before move units.
Chasing units is gone if you want to hit vehicles blanket the area, so forces you to group arty more rather than firing all over the place.
Also means crossing open ground is dangerous as arty can track but broken terrain hard to keep a bead on moving units.
It does have its problems as kicking up dust with barrage will block LOS but guess that happens.
Makes guessing general area units will apear & placing to "walk" on useless unless have a LOS so tends to make you use mainly as support of front line rather than trying to hit vehicles that you just get a glimpse of.
01-01-2009, 08:51 AM,
My initial experience has me thinking that the new arty system is brilliant.

I am surprised that the small change, in ver 3.5, has completely effected the way I use artillery and FOOs.

But for me it's still early. I need a little more time to get a handle on it.