• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

K42: Manstein Strikes Back: Updated
01-01-2009, 05:38 AM,
RE: K42: Manstein Strikes Back: Updated
No the link you gave is not the secnario but a different one set in 1943.

Look on the first post by Posted by Jazman - 11-09-2008 11:56 PM there is a link there for you to click on,this will take you to a page where there is another link to download .

Download this scenario into new folder, unzip it and place all data in the Kharkov 42 folder.
Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2009, 05:49 AM,
is this the one mate, sorry about asking.

Attached Files
.jpg   Image1.jpg (Size: 6.76 KB / Downloads: 22)
01-01-2009, 07:20 AM,
Yes thats it
01-02-2009, 05:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-04-2009, 05:00 PM by Zemke.)
I think but not sure (#30cus_MansteinStrikesBack_Alt.scn), that I am playing this scenario now, and so far I have to say it ranks as one the best scenarios I have played to date for it's size. It is very tense, with hard core Germany units getting human waved attacked over and over. As the German player I have had to play fire Bde with GD and my SS units several times, as soon as I contain or stop one Russian thrust, another pops up. I seem to be doing a lot of defending and very little attacking....lol, I don't think this is how the battle went, but it is still a lot of fun, then again it is only Feb 17 too. I still hold half the city of Kharkov, choosing to withdraw slowly to take advantage of the excellent city defensive bonus. Fighting on the open step has not been very good to me, loses to German units has been heavy, due to so many Russian units out there, and their relentless attacks.

Current Situation to Date:
The 168th Div pushed out of both 500 points obj towns in the north
At Kharkov, pulled out of the east side of the city, 1st SS retreated out of the bulge on the north side of the Udy river, now south. of river. Russians attacking 320 ID constantly and just west of Kharkov the Russian continue to attack, with heavy loses on both sides. Kharkov has been like a WW I battle around the city, or a constant crisis, shifting GD and SS back and forth.
In the South-Center DR SS and elements of 1st SS destroyed the 8th Gdr Cav Div, but are now under very have pressure from continuous Russian counter attacks. TotenKopf and Thule SS are also there, and it is all I can do to keep the situation under control. Two SS units have been broken, and I am slowing falling back.
In the far South East SS Nord destroyed all Russians around Krasnoarmeyskoye and are now engaged in attacking Russians near Kramatorsk and and just south of the City of Slavyansk on "my" side of the river Severnyy Donets.

Some things I noticed:
Looks like Italians with no art at the bottom of the map.
Tank vs Tank Combat is pretty tame, not many kills by either side, oneies and twoies at most, making armor more useful for maneuver than fighting more often than not, except for my Tiger Companies, this turn I lost three out of 9 from Russian T-34 defensive fire, never thought I would have seen that! They must have been shot in the rear or something.
Artillery Fire does not seem to have much punch, or seems a little on the "weak" side for effects.
Infantry are ineffective against tanks, very different from the stock oob. The stock was too strong, this seems the opposite.
Russian infantry seems to be pretty ineffective, while German infantry seem to be very effective, which I think is due to the morale difference and the ratings, good thing or my Germans would have been wiped out by now, they just keep coming, someone stop the madness!
Dig in on the steps or your German units will be bleed white, my opponent just keeps attacking 24/7, I don't think that is historical...it may just be how he plays, not sure, I think explicit supply would solve that.
Last, strength of the German Battalions are 900 men, which is a lot over the TO&E strength. I guess this is necessary to give some balance.
01-03-2009, 06:48 PM,
With the Russians attacking 24/7 they must be knacked , they must be picking alot of fatigue points.
01-04-2009, 05:06 PM,
"24/7" is something of an exaggeration, but he is attacking a lot. I think he just has a lot of unit of units, I keep seeing different divisions and independent brigades come and go, so I can only assume he is resting some, while he attacks with others, and he attacks in one location, then attacks in another, so I may have painted the wrong picture, but he is keeping me hopping.

Anyway, I hope this early assesment helps future players or the designer. I can always post more on the game at time goes on.
01-24-2009, 04:56 PM,
By all means feedback is welcome.

Also, if you go to the download location I've added an updated OOB file with a minor change in the German OOB.
01-24-2009, 06:33 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-25-2009, 07:12 AM by Bidermann.)
Turn 7
I am playing this battle as Russian, its a very good battle.You have to put alot of thought in to what you are doing.With the Russians so knacked at the start and the slow movment of them can cause all sorts of issues. My opponant has couter attacked me in two places and the troops close to Kharkov and the town in the south have taken a bit of a kicking!! My reinforcements are pushing up but those blood Tigers cause me a big head ache. One thing I must say is the bunkers and trenches are a very tough its hard to do any effect on them at all.
01-27-2009, 06:41 AM,
I dowloaded the scenario to check it out and I noticed that there were unit symbols (all German I believe) that appeared to be embedded into the map without the counters that the symbol should be on.

You could see the unit data on the left, but the unit could not be highlighted for receiving orders.

What did I do wrong?
01-27-2009, 09:43 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-27-2009, 09:58 AM by Kuriltai.)
Probably German-SS.I think you are missing the 2dsymbols bmp for that nation or perhaps the whole folder?.See if its in with the units folder for that nation and if you find it there, move it to the German-SS folder.