• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

K42: Manstein Strikes Back: Updated
11-10-2008, 09:56 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-10-2008, 02:23 PM by Jazman.)
K42: Manstein Strikes Back: Updated
I have updated Rick Bancroft's "Manstein Strikes Back" scenario for Kharkov 42. This is the battle of Feb-Mar 1943, the successful counterattack that recaptured Kharkov and created the infamous Kursk bulge.

I have applied Volcano Man's image art and his McNamara DB values. Get it here:

https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=48840

The zip is called Kharkov 43, and it extracts to a non-standard directory, so be wary. However, it's not quantum physics.

I have a number of things I want to do to continue development on this scenario. So, I want feedback on the following (dare I call it playtesting?):

1. Is it really worth the trouble?

2. I used Stalingrad 42 as a baseline. I used the pdt from S42. Suggested mods to this are welcome; I've already removed the frozen penalty altogether.

3. Victory points / objectives. As we all know, this is the Holy Grail of game balance. We need to tempt the Russian to stick his neck out, so all the good Generalen der Panzertruppen can do their thing.

4. Additional things, like Trenches, improved positions, etc. As you can see, the Kharkov garrison is in a highly vulnerable state, but apparently Hausser has already ordered the withdrawal.

5. Proofing: if you find any errors, let me know! After a certain amount of time, the eyes start glazing over...

6. Quality ratings of units / HQ.

7. Anything else I haven't remembered.

I have kept Bancroft's OOB as close as possible, with a few small changes. These may not be correct, or to anyone's liking. Let me know, I'm just an impressionable marshmallow. In other words, I do not have enough knowledge on this campaign to speak authoritatively on anything.

I have a new appreciation for what Volcano Man does for us. Thanks, Ed, for all your hard work making the Alt packs.

Also, thanks to Rick Bancroft for the good hard work he did in developing this scenario. It's an interesting campaign, HPS should do the full treatment. Rick, if you're out there, maybe you can help out here!

Also, Bancroft has a couple of other smaller scenarios he's done in this campaign, and depending on how well things go, I may work those as well.

Enjoy!
Quote this message in a reply
12-30-2008, 07:39 PM,
RE: K42: Manstein Strikes Back: Updated
Jazman,

Firstly I am surprised your note has received NO replies! Thank you for doing the _Alt treatment for this scenario which is essentially another new game.

I also know what is involved in getting a scenario into _Alt status as I have just completed Korsun '44 for Volcano Man and it is now undergoing final review. With 4 OOB's it was an interesting exercise!

I will be eagerly looking at how Manstein goes in your scenario ONCE I work out how to extricate and rest all the guys currently enjoying Kharkov!!!
12-31-2008, 04:11 PM,
I am looking for some one to play this scenario if there are any takers?
01-01-2009, 01:18 AM,
By the way, Jazman, I am still around, I was travelling when I first read your post this and forgot to reply when I had more time. Thanks for doing this update. I will take a look, been busy over the past month+ but am very interested in seeing what you have done, and probably have a few further tweaks I have made to make my original version play better that you may not have - or even need for that matter.

Bidermann, I would play it with you but am a bit buried in other stuff right now, unfortunately.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
01-01-2009, 05:06 AM,
Is what you maked another version or scenarios? How must i download it and play it? I cant find a campaign of kharkove only the longest. Happy new year.
01-01-2009, 05:12 AM,
Click on this link https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/s...?tid=48840

You can also get the other mods ie units etc from Volcano mods
01-01-2009, 05:16 AM,
Biderman do you mean the campaign scenario of khakov on this website? http://members.shaw.ca/gcsaunders/downloads3.html
01-01-2009, 05:22 AM,
the link I set up dopes not work. but if you go to the first post on this subject and click the link it will take you to the page for down loading this scenario.
01-01-2009, 05:27 AM,
Hi the link i give is the same or not? If not how must i download that one?
01-01-2009, 05:33 AM,
Great i've got it is it a historical one?