• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Public Apology & More
11-08-2008, 09:23 PM,
RE: Public Apology & More
falc Wrote:Totally support MR here. The sheer amount of trouble, ill-feeling and agitation caused by Randy's "moderating" on this site (especially the CM forum), is out of all proportion to any good he has done both as a Blitz club officer or with any of the behind the scenes stuff IMHO.
As some have pointed out, he has pulled this resigning stunt many times before.

- falco.

Hmmmm I guess you are unaware of the work Randy has done for the Blitz in the background. To be honest if it wasnt for Randy the Blitz would have shut down a long time ago which is why we have always talked him out of stepping down. With Randy gone I hate to say it but the future of the Blitz as a website is now on tenderhooks. It only takes one thing to go wrong here and without Randy round to fix it the whole place will collapse like a house of cards.

Our only saving grace is the work Raz has been doing behind the scenes.

For now I fear the Blitz jacket is hanging on a shoogily peg.
11-08-2008, 10:13 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-08-2008, 10:15 PM by falco.)
Bootie Wrote:Hmmmm I guess you are unaware of the work Randy has done for the Blitz in the background. To be honest if it wasnt for Randy the Blitz would have shut down a long time ago which is why we have always talked him out of stepping down. With Randy gone I hate to say it but the future of the Blitz as a website is now on tenderhooks. It only takes one thing to go wrong here and without Randy round to fix it the whole place will collapse like a house of cards.

Our only saving grace is the work Raz has been doing behind the scenes.

What exactly is all this "background" work anyway? This seems to be the standard response from those challenge any criticisms of Mr R.D.

I've got friends who run websites (and ones much bigger than the Blitz), and they seem to run 'em pretty efficiently from day 2 day without too much activity going on behind the scenes or in the "background."

Anyway maybe I'm just an ignorant SOB but I still stand behind my statement -
The sheer amount of trouble, ill-feeling and agitation caused by Randy's "moderating" on this site (especially the CM forum), is out of all proportion to any good he has done both as a Blitz club officer or with any of the behind the scenes stuff IMHO.

If the future of the Blitz is in any doubt, then it more probably because of the puerile antics of people like RD and POS who you have always been bosom buddies with and always supported.

Time you took a good long hard look at yourself I think my friend.

- falco.
11-08-2008, 10:40 PM,
It's not all doom and gloom here at the Blitz. Randy has been working with the Blitz for a long time now and does a lot of good work behind the scenes here. It's when he posting as a mod that things tend to get a bit heated.
So the solution is, do not allow Randy to post as a mod. He can of course post messages as a normal member and will have to work within the rules of the club when posting. Maybe then things can return to normal.
Problem solved! :)
11-08-2008, 11:05 PM,
LOL Ok falco I accept all responsibility for everything 'bad' thats ever happened.

No point explaining the 'behind the scenes work' to someone who appears quite ignorant of the fact that work does go on behind all these MB's and ladders and FTP areas. They dont run and maintain themselves you know.
11-09-2008, 01:03 AM,
First off, this isn't about MR taking a side other than what's best for the Blitz.

It's not an "us against them" issue.

This is an issue of how the Blitz is run both externally and internally. They are very distinct and should be separate areas. More than likely the same people endeavor to do both. This is a small site with limited resources.

What needs to be determined is how to keep the Blitz operating without all the drama and still as efficiently as possible.

Secondly, if in fact the entire future of the Blitz rests on Randy's shoulders then I'm amazed. If the owners of this site have put into being a site that is so fragile that it relies on the health and well being of a single person to keep it up and running I would think all the members would have to take a good hard look at ever posting in a thread or to the ladders here ever again.

Randy is not invincible. Things can happen. He got hurt in his job for instance. Why this site has not long ago been transferred to a site where a common programming language can support the site is beyond reason.

That's not what we are here to discuss though. What JvK does with this site is his own business.

How it's run and the officers have been left up to others to decide. It's the resignation of Randy that presents a huge problem for the Blitz. As has been pointed out by Bootie, if Randy leaves with ALL his toys there may well not be a game anymore here.

This is one of those defining moments where a group of people will work on a solution to a problem and either fix it and move on, or not fix it and have the whole thing crash around them.

I've offered to help. That's all I can personally do. I cannot, nor am I willing to learn to do the programming for the site.

The rest is up to Randy and SG.

Good Hunting.

MR
11-09-2008, 01:34 AM,
Mad Russian Wrote:Why this site has not long ago been transferred to a site where a common programming language can support the site is beyond reason.

MR, you should really quit while you are ahead. You make statements like that above and those of us who do know what they are talking about have to question whether everything else that you say has the same level of competency.

For your information the website is based on PHP (installed on ~20 million websites) and mysql (which has an installed base of 11 million)

umbro
11-09-2008, 01:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-09-2008, 02:00 AM by Mad Russian.)
umbro Wrote:
Mad Russian Wrote:Why this site has not long ago been transferred to a site where a common programming language can support the site is beyond reason.

MR, you should really quit while you are ahead. You make statements like that above and those of us who do know what they are talking about have to question whether everything else that you say has the same level of competency.

The level of my competency is still being reviewed...I'll get back with you on that when the findings are tabulated.....

Quote:For your information the website is based on PHP (installed on ~20 million websites) and mysql (which has an installed base of 11 million)

umbro

Good, because that was not my understanding, or what the posts like Booties, leads one to believe. That if Randy leaves the site will not function. It was my understanding that this site is run on a lesser known programming language that Randy taught himself.

I freely admit that I know nothing of the programming of the site. I'm only going on what I've been told here by the officers past and present....which could very much have been misunderstanding on my part. Once upon a time I was fairly computer literate but not so much anymore.

Thanks for the clarification. That makes the situation very much different.

If this site is based on a common language then Booties comments make no sense. If anyone of thousands of men have the knowledge to keep the site running how can it simply be as Bootie says?

That wasn't my comment. It does lead one to have certain assumptions as to the state of the site though doesn't it?

Be that as it may. It still doesn't change my position that Randy doesn't need to stop doing what he does to support the site. But he can do that without being a Super Mod or the CSM. It just clears a bit of the smoke from the eyes....

Good Hunting.

MR
11-09-2008, 01:59 AM,
Mad Russian Wrote:If anyone of thousands of men have the knowledge to keep the site running how can it simply be as Bootie says?
MR

Perhaps there are many folk here just like you who state 'I cannot, nor am I willing to learn to do the programming for the site.'

Randy was willing and did learn to do the programming for the site.

Thats the difference between men like him and you, some are willing to go the extra mile... others are happy to ride on the coat tails of those who decide to go the extra mile on behalf of others.
11-09-2008, 02:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-09-2008, 02:04 AM by Mad Russian.)
Bootie Wrote:
Mad Russian Wrote:If anyone of thousands of men have the knowledge to keep the site running how can it simply be as Bootie says?
MR

Perhaps there are many folk here just like you who state 'I cannot, nor am I willing to learn to do the programming for the site.'

Randy was willing and did learn to do the programming for the site.

Good. I wish that he would continue to use those skills to support the Blitz. Not every job is for everybody. We all have different skill sets.

Quote:Thats the difference between men like him and you, some are willing to go the extra mile... others are happy to ride on the coat tails of those who decide to go the extra mile on behalf of others.

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Hunting.

MR
11-09-2008, 02:23 AM,
Mad Russian Wrote:It was my understanding that this site is run on a lesser known programming language that Randy taught himself.

Randy was not the Dread Pirate Roberts, he inherited that title from ASDN who inherited it from me. The man I inherited it from is not the real Dread Pirate Roberts either. His name was Cummerbund. The real Roberts has been retired 15 years and living like a king in Patagonia.

It is not that the community of PHP/MySQL developers is small, it is that our community of game players who know PHP/MySQL and are willing/able to volunteer and take responsibility for a website that caters to our community is small.

This is in no way an excuse, Randy knows he stepped over the line, however, I am trying to provide perspective from someone who has been in the same shoes and penned some pretty snippy responses. Luckily enough for me I remembered where the delete key was.

umbro