• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

The spirit of the game...
10-17-2008, 11:30 AM,
RE: The spirit of the game...
Becoming a total arse and ruining the fun for the person you are playing is ruining and violating the spirit of the game. Using some sort of outside calculator/odds generator to obtain favorable factors during your turns is violating the spirit of the game. Complaining rather than offering advice and positive suggestions over someone's tactics and misuse of game elements that contradict your preferences is violating the spirit of the game.

Using game mechanics to your advantage is your opponents fault for letting it get that far, but nothing in a sense that is violating the spirit of the game.

IMO
There is no cheese in CM, only whine
Wine is only good with cheese, not CM.

Point being made is simple, play those who play the way you play, but don't complain about those who don't live up to your expectations. They may be simply playing a game, rather than trying to experience a realism level of your desire.
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
Quote this message in a reply
10-17-2008, 08:02 PM,
RedDevil Wrote:Point being made is simple, play those who play the way you play, but don't complain about those who don't live up to your expectations. They may be simply playing a game, rather than trying to experience a realism level of your desire.
I agree. If someone does something you think is gamey, don't complain, just never play him again!
10-17-2008, 10:37 PM,
Saint Ruth Wrote:
RedDevil Wrote:Point being made is simple, play those who play the way you play, but don't complain about those who don't live up to your expectations. They may be simply playing a game, rather than trying to experience a realism level of your desire.
I agree. If someone does something you think is gamey, don't complain, just never play him again!

I agree with these statements. Of course you could ask your opponent to change his ways/views with the reason why. If he is just focused in winning any way he can: stay away from him.

I read that there was a Polish guy who discoverd to "view" or "read" the PBEM files before he'd sent them back. He kept on making new files in a certain situation until his gun did kill that enemy tank with the first shot instead of a miss or just hit without any consequence.
I would think this behaviour is a bit contrary to "the spirit of the game".:P
10-17-2008, 11:12 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-18-2008, 02:09 AM by Der Kuenstler.)
I've noticed some players feel the spirit of the game should be very gentlemanly - "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" - I can almost picture them bowing to one another in the parlor "Did you find the battle to your liking, kind sir?" With a string quartet playing in the background.

Others see the spirit of the game as a violent spirit. Are we not trying to destroy one another's forces? They see it as an all out street brawl for victory. Anything that the game and Blitz rules allows you to do goes. When I occasionally discover a guy is trying to slip something over on me, I must admit I find that to be part of the entertainment. (he he - a sneaky sucker, eh?) And I enjoy jousting with another player, as I did with Owl recently, about setup parameters. "What? You gave me this? I must have this setting!" Great fun I say.

But others are very offended by such things and will freak out and call a guy a cheater who might be more accurately called opportunistic. I'm one who says if it's within the frame of the game and Blitz rules, and no parameters have been specified beforehand, it ain't cheating.

And as has been said, if someone doesn't see the game as you do, you can just quit playing him.
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
10-18-2008, 01:02 PM,
Der Kuenstler Wrote:But others are very offended by such things and will freak out and call a guy a cheater who might be more accurately called opportunistic. I'm one who says if it's within the frame of the game and Blitz rules, and no parameters have been specified beforehand, it ain't cheating.

Really?

Has that ever happened here at the Blitz?

Is this thread about the spirit of the game or cheating?

I think there's a huge difference in the two.

Quote:And as has been said, if someone doesn't see the game as you do, you can just quit playing him.

There can be situations where that person interjects themselves into games/tournaments where you don't have a lot of choice at times.

Good Hunting.

MR
10-18-2008, 10:17 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-18-2008, 10:20 PM by Kelen.)
Mad Russian Wrote:Is this thread about the spirit of the game or cheating?

I think there's a huge difference in the two.

Well that's the problem, we may think there is a difference, but under the rules, as per the original post,

"The Blitz considers any 'stunt/method' that goes beyond the spirit of the game to be cheating..."

So regardless of what 'we' think, they are treated the same should someone choose to complain.

The question is however, if, (as it appears from those that have posted), we don't consider that there is such thing as 'gamey' play that, "goes beyond the spirit of the game", and everyone will just choice to play those of a similar view, why do we have this rule?

That's why I was interested on whether the mods had any views on this. Should we encounter gamey tactics, opportunism, or things that 'we' consider goes the spirit of the game, most of us will probably take it on the chin and then have to decide whether to play that person again; but if soemone does complain, as there is a rule that says they can, what would the mods consider comes under this? If nothing does, then why have the rule?
10-19-2008, 12:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-19-2008, 01:18 AM by Der Kuenstler.)
BertBlitzkrieg (FGM) Wrote:I read that there was a Polish guy who discoverd to "view" or "read" the PBEM files before he'd sent them back. He kept on making new files in a certain situation until his gun did kill that enemy tank with the first shot instead of a miss or just hit without any consequence.
I would think this behaviour is a bit contrary to "the spirit of the game".:P

I'd say that goes over the line - it is not something normal game use would allow you to do - I would call a guy out as a cheater on that one.

Changing the unit stats in the editor of an established scenario before sending it out - I'd call that cheating.

Using a map over and over when you've told your opponent you've never used it - cheating.

Setting parameters to benefit your side in a quick battle - not very nice but it's not cheating. You have the right to make any offer by Blitz rules and it is then your opponents right to refuse the offer.

A wise person once told me beware of anything you do that you have to look both ways first before doing it, to make sure no one is looking. Probably a good rule to go by here.
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
10-19-2008, 12:51 AM,
RedDevil Wrote:Becoming a total arse and ruining the fun for the person you are playing is ruining and violating the spirit of the game. Using some sort of outside calculator/odds generator to obtain favorable factors during your turns is violating the spirit of the game. Complaining rather than offering advice and positive suggestions over someone's tactics and misuse of game elements that contradict your preferences is violating the spirit of the game.

Using game mechanics to your advantage is your opponents fault for letting it get that far, but nothing in a sense that is violating the spirit of the game.

IMO

And yet upon encountering Poor Old Spike's armoured fist tactics for the first time, you did everything you've just described above, and in a very public manner.

http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/showthre...ght=cheesy

Couldn't
Quote: I find the setup "gamey" as most poeple would not go buy a dozen tanks in any game of CM unless it was known up front to be an all armor game.I wish I had known of your style prior to picking up a game, so I could have played it with you, instead of being what I call blindsided by at least 11 tanks that I can count and a bunch of snipers."
be construed as Complaining rather than offering advice and positive suggestions over someone's tactics and misuse of game elements that contradict your preferences is violating the spirit of the game.?

And isn't
Quote:"Don't trouble yourself, I've surrendered in the game and posted your win for you. It was in the best interest, as you've shown no honor in your posts IMO. Sorry I wasn't up to a good spanking by your game winning tactical endeavors."
an example of Becoming a total arse and ruining the fun for the person you are playing is ruining and violating the spirit of the game.?

And if
Quote:"There is no cheese in CM, only whine Wine is only good with cheese, not CM"
why did you email POS with "I find it rather cheesy, but it is only a game, although I would have expected better of someone of your caliber.Carry on, enjoy it while it lasts"?
10-19-2008, 01:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-19-2008, 01:32 AM by Der Kuenstler.)
Oh I don't know - could be because people are just people and don't aways say and do things consistently? Could be because we all tend to magnify others' faults and minimize our own? Could be because this stuff quoted was from August '06 and RD has changed some of his thinking since then? I hope we can move beyond this kind of "you are good" and "you are bad" thinking here - people are more complicated than that.
10-19-2008, 01:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-19-2008, 01:38 AM by Kelen.)
Peek Wrote:
RedDevil Wrote:Becoming a total arse and ruining the fun for the person you are playing is ruining and violating the spirit of the game. Using some sort of outside calculator/odds generator to obtain favorable factors during your turns is violating the spirit of the game. Complaining rather than offering advice and positive suggestions over someone's tactics and misuse of game elements that contradict your preferences is violating the spirit of the game.

IMO

And yet upon encountering Poor Old Spike's armoured fist tactics for the first time, you did everything you've just described above, and in a very public manner.

http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/showthre...ght=cheesy

Couldn't
Quote: I find the setup "gamey" as most poeple would not go buy a dozen tanks in any game of CM unless it was known up front to be an all armor game.I wish I had known of your style prior to picking up a game, so I could have played it with you, instead of being what I call blindsided by at least 11 tanks that I can count and a bunch of snipers."
be construed as Complaining rather than offering advice and positive suggestions over someone's tactics and misuse of game elements that contradict your preferences is violating the spirit of the game.?

And isn't
Quote:"Don't trouble yourself, I've surrendered in the game and posted your win for you. It was in the best interest, as you've shown no honor in your posts IMO. Sorry I wasn't up to a good spanking by your game winning tactical endeavors."
an example of Becoming a total arse and ruining the fun for the person you are playing is ruining and violating the spirit of the game.?

And if
Quote:"There is no cheese in CM, only whine Wine is only good with cheese, not CM"
why did you email POS with "I find it rather cheesy, but it is only a game, although I would have expected better of someone of your caliber.Carry on, enjoy it while it lasts"?

I wouldn't have called RD's e-mail whineing, merely an observation on POS' tactics and his specifying the parms so that they benefited his style of play. As RD himself said, he should have known better when playing someone for the first time, (and in this case the last I would imagine!)

As for it being public, it was made so by POS when he posted a private e-mail, which he shouldn't of. Once he posted it RD had the right to make a public response.

Why would surrendering a game that you are getting no personal enjoyment from and have no interest in completing be "Becoming a total arse and ruining the fun for the person you are playing". Surely insisting that your opponent completes the game regardless mean that instead?

I would have thought that someone would get more enjoyment out of a game where your opponent is actually trying, rather than one where they are just going through the motions so you can see the clock out.

At the end of the day POS still got his victory so I'm sure he was happy.