• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

The spirit of the game...
10-20-2008, 09:31 AM,
RE: The spirit of the game...
zeke Wrote:
ksbearski Wrote:It seems to me that one person's "cheesy" is another person's "innovation".
The "realism" in "gamey" tactics might be that in real life commanders will risk unconventional and unorthodox tactics to win. If a person does that in a game, why is that considered "gamey" or "cheesy"?

I wonder if the Poles, Russians, French, and British thought "cheesy" when they got blitzkrieged.

ksbearski

Precisely!!!!!!!

There are tons of other examples of this in real warfare.

Rommell used 88mm AA guns against British armor (not against aircraft as they were designed) in North Africa with great effect. The British did not think it was "proper" to use the weapon in a role it wasn't designed for, and paid a big price. Was this "gamey"?

I totally agree with Ratzi that because it is a game, there is nothing that is gamey.

The talented commander should be able to effectively deal with "gamey" tactics, such as advancing 50mm mortars with no ammo ahead to scout and cause some havok. Heck, I *welcome* these tactics. I would gladly take the KIA and points that go along with killing the 50mm scout team. If you have not properly prepared for tactics like these you most likely will not do well in the game.

Yes...and the bad thing was the Brits had tons of 3.7" AA guns all over North Africa that they could have used in the same AT role.
Quote this message in a reply