• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Poll: What view do you prefer?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
2D View
28.00%
7 28.00%
3D view
72.00%
18 72.00%
Total 25 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Which View?
10-16-2008, 02:04 PM,
RE: Which View?
If you are trying to be funny, you failed. I was not in the military, not a former boardgamer, and don't know NATO symbols. I did find a US govt pub on them and am trying to learn.

I enjoy the 3D mini view. I'm not into cardboard squares. I don't chastise those who do like them though.
Quote this message in a reply
10-16-2008, 11:39 PM,
I would include myself in the both category as well. I typically watch replays in 2D mode.

For my turn, I use 3D for combat because I find it much easier to pick up terrain features in 3D. I do use 2D mode for long range movement, some artillery/airstrike plotting, and to get an long-range overall view of the situation for planning (I prefer that to the 3D zoom out views where the units are harder to see) or LOS checks (I find the in/out of LOS shading is sometimes easier to pick out in 2d mode, but that depends on the map and the terrain).

Regarding the NATO symbols, there is a good chart of all the symbols used in the game in the appendices. Or at least there use to be in the Talonsoft paper manuals. I suspect they are still there in the Matrix pdf manuals, though. The most important things to remember are diagonal slashes for infantry (one slash light infantry/recon/ cavalry, two slashes regular infantry), open ovals for armor, E for engineer, inverted chevrons are generally anti-tank and dots for artillery (bigger dot, bigger gun tubes). Also white symbols are transport.

If you remember those, combinations become a little easier to decipher. So a box with two diagonal slashes and an open oval is an armored infantry unit. A unit with a inverted chevron and an oval is an armored AT unit.

One other advantage to getting to know the NATO map symbols is that it makes reviewing combat maps in books and on websites much more informative (assuming the book is using NATO/WWII Allied symbology). For this, you need to know the unit size modifiers, i.e. the vertical lines, dots and X's that denote sizes from squads up to army groups.

And heaven help you if you have a map that uses the German WWII symbols. I can never seem to remember those. Big Grin
10-16-2008, 11:53 PM,
Ok, I wasn't trying to be mean.And I certainly wasn't trying to be funny.When I started playing wargames I had learn the symbols in order for me to play my favorites-TOAW III, Panzer Campaigns, etc

Sorry though if it sounded like I was trying to be mean.
10-17-2008, 12:09 AM,
3D for me, switching from keyboard 1 to 3. 3 is great for planning since I have a 21 inch hi-def flat screen and can usually take in the whole board, depending on the scenario. Sometimes, however, I'll watch a replay in 2D if I'm trying to pinpoint where my opponents artillery fire is originating; but that's pretty rare.
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
10-17-2008, 12:16 PM,
You mean you don't know your NATO symbols? I can't see anyone playing a wargame without knowing NATO symbols.EekYou do know you can switch between graphical icons and the symbols right?
[/quote]

Hi Panzer VI
I don't pretend to know the NATO symbols and wouldn't and not interested in learning them. Thats the best part of the game I can looklook at the unit.
As anybody who has played me knows i have more fun than most who play. I don't care if I win or lose when I play as long as I have fun. I did buy some of the card board games but could never play then because I could never learn those stupid symbols.But most of all i know that nothing was meant by your comments and if by chance you were poking fun at me thats fine I wouldn't want it any other way. Remenber win if you can lose if you must but always have fun. Thanks for your time
Chuck
10-19-2008, 01:32 AM,
2D for planning and 3D for some of the action (not replays). All the views are 2D really though and I tend to prefer this for wargames. Had too many games where unnecessary (real 3D) just gives you camera options you don't need and find difficult to control and slows down scrolling.

Chris
10-23-2008, 05:51 AM,
Chuck10mtn Wrote:Remember win if you can, lose if you must, but always have fun. Thanks for your time
Chuck

Chuck:

I'm going to "borrow" the above quote and use it as part of my signature! Big Grin
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
10-23-2008, 06:29 AM,
Hey Mwest,
Feel free to use it if you want. Way too many people take playing a game shall we say a tad too serous. As NASCAR people say " If your not cheating your not trying and its only cheating if you get caught". I play the game too have fun and decompress after a long day.

Chuck
10-23-2008, 06:39 AM,
Chuck10mtn Wrote:Hey Mwest,
Feel free to use it if you want. Way too many people take playing a game shall we say a tad too serous. As NASCAR people say " If your not cheating your not trying and its only cheating if you get caught". I play the game too have fun and decompress after a long day.

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

I like your game philosphy. Big Grin From what I gathered (reading between the lines of your post), you have run into a few of the real "hard core" "win-at-all costs" kind of players. :angry: I also have had some close encounters with "too serious" players... not a good experience.

BTW...Let me know if you are looking for an opponent. I'd like to play against you some day.
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
10-23-2008, 08:43 AM,
Hey mwest,
When your ready let me know. I'll send something your way

Chuck