• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

THE MAIN EVENT! Walkure vs. Herroberst
11-24-2008, 12:20 AM,
RE: THE MAIN EVENT!
Sadly the battle is lost for Herroberst. I would move that T34 back, it's too close to the building he's area firing on. Then move my infantry back slightly so they are not affected by the area fire. Maybe try to have the 57mm ATG go and support his super platoon marching towards the flag. It's a tough call :(
Quote this message in a reply
11-24-2008, 12:29 AM,
Flank the 2x Jpz with the fast T34 via the road where the 2 x T34 are burning. Via this road they can move very fast and can also make good use of the smoke from the building just destroyed!

Owl
11-24-2008, 11:00 AM,
Good observations and ideas. As for me - I would try to get those two good T34/85s together - perhaps flank them around to the south where they have some open ground (lesser schrek threats) and get them both on one of Walkure's Jpz IVs for a 2:1 advantage. Take it out, then get the other green one. Walkure's 2 Jpz IVs are separated in town and can't really support each other right now.

Then get all of the AFV MGs (M5s included) firing on that main flag rubble and pull those T34s close enough to neutralize it. It's risky, but risk is about the only option now. In the meantime the rear flanking squad could try to neutralize the back flag. Herroberst might then get a draw based on point kills or maybe even a minor win.

But Herroberst has a second enemy now: time. He's running out. However, the game has been set with a variable ending, so if lucky he could get up to 8 more turns.

Here's his latest message: "I think he has me unless I can neutralize that central objective and take the rear flag... here's hoping :)"
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
11-25-2008, 01:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-25-2008, 02:00 AM by Der Kuenstler.)
A DESPERATE ATTACK FAILS

Minute 32 of 33+:

Herroberst plans an atack with the few remnants he has available near the main flag. He wants to send half of his force into the woods straight ahead. The other part will do an end-around through the two empty buildings to the South. The T34 is to fire on the rubble in support of the attack.

[Image: HO-84.jpg]

But it all fails miserably. Within five seconds the sickening "whoosh" of a hidden German shrek is heard and the T34 is knocked out after firing only once. The two battered squads sent through the supposedly empty buildings find the last one already occupied with Germans hiding with a cover arc - they are mercilessly cut down. Of the two squads sent into the woods, one is pinned before it ever gets out in the open, and the other makes it about halfway before German small arms fire hits them from every direction and routs them, killing four of their 8 men.

[Image: HO-83.jpg]

We can see from Walkure's side schrek OBG Jobst in position - he is only a regular - his shrek partner has already been killed in action and he only has two shells left, but he is in command of a +1 combat, +1 stealth leader. He only needs one shell. "That is for my good kamerad Hans, you dirty Russian SOB" Jobst says to himself as he quickly ducks into the rubble to avoid the small arms return fire.

[Image: HO-80.jpg]

To the South, Walkure's men continue to threaten. Herroberst stubbornly refuses to move his T34 or his M5 halftrack back - they are firing their MGs into the light building which has some Germans in it. Nearby Unt Van Cutsem is leading a crack squad - there are only two healthy men left, but they still have some potato mashers and a schrek, and they have managed to get withing 30 meters of the last surviving T34. Will this be how Herroberst loses his last precious tank?

[Image: HO-81.jpg]

Message from Herroberst:

"Well, rushing the central flag didn't work. My last good squad on the left flank objective paniced. Maybe the T-34 and HT can hold it. My rear platoon continues up without opposition... so far"
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
11-26-2008, 01:10 AM,
ACTION AT THE SOUTHERN FLAG

Minute 33 of 33+:

Walkure's 2 man squad chucks a couple of potato mashers at Herroberst's last T34/85. One misses, and one hits without doing any damage. Walkure tries to run a TH team across the street but they are gunned down by the T34's MG as they enter the rubble. Walkure's squads in the building are pounding on Herroberst's last squad between them and the tank.

[Image: HO-75.jpg]

At the end of the minute we see Herroberst's pinned pioneer squad tried to make a break for it and were gunned down, but in a way this helps the Russians; this allows Herroberst to begin area firing the building with Germans in it since there are no longer any friendly units in the way. But the lone T34/85 only has three HE shells left.

[Image: HO-76.jpg]

Here is a shot of Herroberst's orders to his super-platoon for turn 34. Notice he has given them a mixed set of orders. Some are on "walk" so they won't all stop if they see something minor. Some are on "move to contact" so they will stop if fired upon, and some will stay still in cover to return fire if fire starts coming in on the movers.

[Image: HO-77.jpg]

Herroberst's last 57mmm ATG has started moving towards town but it will surely be too late to have any effect.
11-27-2008, 01:50 AM,
THE BATTLE IS OVER!

Herroberst sends me the final results screen. A 62% minor victory for Walkure. Both generals fought valiantly - it was a heck of a good battle.

[Image: HO-81-1.jpg]

Here is the final position of both players' units at the end of minute 35. We see that Walkure managed to neutralize the southern flag with just one man -a tank hunter, and possible the busted up squad on the other side.

Herrroberst's super-platoon makes it to within 20 meters of the back flag but can only neutralize it before time runs out.

[Image: HO-80-1.jpg]

The Fuhrer is delighted, and throws a huge victory parade in Walkure's honor:

[Image: Nazi_propaganda.jpg]

While Herroberst surveys the bleak landscape of Siberia - his new home:

[Image: siberia001.jpg]

But it may not be so bad - here's a shot of the recent Miss Siberia:

[Image: Siberia_02-large.jpg]

A big "thank you" to Walkure and Herroberst for participating in this event. Walkure will be awarded 100 bonus points and Herroberst will be awarded 50 for their efforts.

I will now open up the thread to them for any of their comments and for any questions or comments you might have for them about the battle.
11-27-2008, 02:26 AM,
Thanks to Der Kuenstler for putting on the show and my wiley opponent Walkure for a great battle.

I probably should have mounted the rear platoon and given it some tanks, that would have been fun but they probably would have been seen earlier.

Thought with SMG platoons the center would be mine, backed up with the SU122s but Walkure's tactics didn't make that possible. Maybe should have kept the T-34s more mobile to utilize their speed against his SPs.

Yes, hanging out with Ms Siberia can't be all bad and I like snow anyways :)
11-27-2008, 11:02 AM,
Thumbs_Up  RE: THE MAIN EVENT!
May I also thank Herroberst and Walkure for the thrilling battle played out in this thread. Great tactics used by both players plus we picked up some good tips to try out in our own battles :)
Special thanks goes to DK for the way he laid things out and made each turn interesting to read (and I loved the photos!) cheers
More please DK :bow:
11-27-2008, 09:52 PM,
I just want to add that I was one of the silent viewers, really great stuff, and as had been said: plenty tips, well laid out, and a real good read every morning to see what had happened next.

Can't wait for the next match.
11-27-2008, 11:07 PM,
Great, kudos all round!