• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

THE MAIN EVENT! Walkure vs. Herroberst
10-20-2008, 12:18 PM,
RE: THE MAIN EVENT!
Doesn't look like he's a fan of dismounted HMG/MMG support, either. Most of those squads are going to have to get w/in 100m of the enemy to put their weapons to effective use...
Minuteman
Quote this message in a reply
10-20-2008, 01:05 PM,
Saber6 Wrote:Doesn't look like he's a fan of dismounted HMG/MMG support, either. Most of those squads are going to have to get w/in 100m of the enemy to put their weapons to effective use...

Exactly - and there is a lot of open land on this map - if Herroberst gets forced into a long range shootout he could be in trouble...he'd better get in close in town fast...
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
10-20-2008, 06:42 PM,
"The Artist" indeed. I am enjoying this thread already and they haven't even set up yet! Keep it going.
"A bad plan is still better than no plan at all." -- Mikhail Tal

[Image: pzV.jpg]
10-24-2008, 01:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-24-2008, 02:32 PM by Der Kuenstler.)
Walkure's Purchase Screens
Thanks - OK here we have Walkure's purchase screens.

Screen #1:

[Image: WalkurePC-1.jpg]

Screen #2:

[Image: WalkurePC-2.jpg]

Surprises: No anti-tank guns, snipers or mortars? He also goes with an expensive platoon of Jagdpanzer IVs - only one is a vet. These are on fixed carriages and will have trouble turning against the speedy T34s in town. Does he plan to keep them way back and shoot long range?

Six 251/1s: They aren't for hauling guns - he probably plans to load them to the hilt with infantry, MG, and FT units and zip them to the central flag first.

Five schreks: Good choice for town but he's chosen 4 regulars and a green - I'd have rather had 4 vets.

Reg Flammpanzer III: To roll out after the Russian armor is dealt with?

Vet Fusilier 44 Battalion: Not a bad choice but very expensive in battalion strength. The vets should help him compete with Herrobersts SMG squads.

The Fuhrer is most interested in this unconventional force...

[Image: hitlermap1610_228x316.jpg]
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
10-24-2008, 01:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-24-2008, 02:33 PM by Der Kuenstler.)
Herroberst reveals his plans!
A direct quote from the renowned general himself:

"My plan is pretty simple given the terrain: High Diddle Diddle, Straight Up the Middle ;)

1. Move up the center high speed avenues of approach into town, using all available transport to run my infantry up. Once infantry dropped pull at least one platoon T-34 back out of town and to the left flank to watch that side of town. 122s to stay in town and blast strong points and a platoon T-34 to blast any armor he sends in to town.
2. Cover the right flank with the ATGs
3. Cover the left flank with an infantry platoon just in case he has visions of coming over that saddle and getting in behind me with infantry or tanks on the hilltop.
4. Could have sworn I bought mortars, I always to - this is a major oversight if he sets up a lot of 150mm guns." - Herroberst
10-26-2008, 12:52 PM,
HERROBERST'S SETUP...
Here we have Herroberst's setup. He has roughly 85% of his force right here on transport - all set to take off down the road.

[Image: HO-1.jpg]

His halftracks are loaded with SMG troops, AT guns, and TH teams. His forward tanks are loaded with more SMG troops and FT units. His back T34 platoon has Pioneer squads and Sharpshooters. The only vehicles that aren't loaded are his two SU-22s.

A shot of his infantry and artillery spotters:

[Image: HO-2.jpg]

Interesting - notice how they are lined up single file in front of each platoon leader. Each platoon leader has a 120mm spotter behind him.

An overhead view:

[Image: HO-4.jpg]

One of his guns is on transport and the other is set to be rolled into some trees on a hight point. I've drawn a yellow line which I predict will be his approach - it offers the most direct route downtown with gentle turns.

Comments?

Coming next: Walkure's setup.
10-27-2008, 03:31 AM,
I bet Walkure runs for the town too, Russians have the edge for speed, so odds on HO gets there first, Predict HO will use multiple routes into town to avoid traffic snarl-ups and the whole column getting stopped by long range german sniping.
Notice also no half squads for scouting as yet?
10-27-2008, 01:25 PM,
WALKURE'S SETUP
fluidwill Wrote:Notice also no half squads for scouting as yet?

None noticed.

Here is Walkure's setup - main force:

[Image: WK-1.jpg]

He has two Fusilier squads and various FT units, snipers, TH teams, and MG42s mounted on his six 251/1s, two of his Jagdpanzer IVs, and his Flammpanzer III. His remaining two Jpz IVs are on the other side of the map - out of command range.

Interesting: Like Herroberst, Walkure Lines up all of his vehicles in single file, even though these roads will accomodate vehicles side by side. Why? Won't this delay each of them needlessly?

No 1/2 squads as yet.

Overhead view:

[Image: WK-2.jpg]

His two Jpz IVs on the North side are a smart move - coming from two directions he's more likely to get an opportunity to get a side shot. Downside - they are out of command over there so he will lose time getting to town.

He has at least 4 MG42s on the north side in command along with his spotters. I believe he plans to walk the MGs to a high ridge and do some long range harassing.

The rest of his infantry are on foot in a central low area - they should be able to go quite a ways unspotted through there.

Wicked: Walkure's 120mm & 81mm spotters are both together (did not see that at first) and have been placed so they can already see the Southeast 100 PT flag where Herroberst's main force is projected to go. Depending on the delay it may be falling right as HO's halftracks pull up - a potential allied disaster!

Possible goof: Walkure's green 251/1 is set up IN FRONT OF his vet and regular Jpz IVs - can you say traffic jam?

Coming next: opening moves....
10-27-2008, 11:30 PM,
Herroberst moves out
RECON SHOT:

Herroberst's M5/T34 column moves out in a smooth formation - no snarls until - wait - the second T34 in the second tank platoon enters the roadway a little late - the third T34 bumps into him and begins backing. The SU122s then bang into it - a traffic jam!

But Herroberst's M5s are already far down the road - they have turned into a field just past the first crossroads. The mounted SMG troops will likely be running into that patch of woods ahead - it will be tough to get them out of there once they are set.

The first T34 platoon has turned at the first crossroads and is heading on "fast" towards the "X" where Walkure's two spotters are focused. Their mounted infantry may take a beating and the tanks may lose some commanders in the blasts but the M5s will be safe for now.

The 57mm gun to the right is rolling into a nice high patch of woods. Off the screen further to the right another 57mm is being pulled forward on transport.

[Image: HO-2a.jpg]

Below is a shot of the traffic jam to the rear - LT BAKSOV in the MG carrier shouts "Get that @#$% tank moving you fool or you will be driving in Siberia!! We are losing precious time!!"

[Image: HO-1a.jpg]

It could have been worse - the SU122s are not carrying anyone and so their late arrival shouldn't matter much.
10-28-2008, 08:06 AM,
I like both players' mods !
"A bad plan is still better than no plan at all." -- Mikhail Tal

[Image: pzV.jpg]