• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

THE MAIN EVENT! Walkure vs. Herroberst
12-01-2008, 08:56 AM,
RE: THE MAIN EVENT!
But what counts in the end is victory and that one goes to Walkyre. Cheers! You make it look so effortless.

I must question a couple of things though:

1) Walkyre's decision to bring turretless tanks to a city fight? I say again that I'm a beginner and I don't know by heart every tanks HE load and penetration power, if that was a factor.

2) Herroberst's reasoning on the flanking "super squad"? It was certainly out-of-the-box, but was it too-little-too-late?

-Rope
[/quote]

first it rarely effortless specially against the likes of herroberst. when ever you can get a win against his quality of opponent, you take the win and crawl under some tree to lick your wounds and heal.

1. I choose P70's because they have a good HE load out and i get four. Let me explain......I had to cover at least three roads and in a 3K game you can usually buy 3 either Panthers or tigers, so i had no spares if for what ever reason one got knocked out. The fourth AFV came in hamdy because one of them got his gun damaged from flying debri. Turretles AFV's have limitations but in a city where you can guard his flanks by using Buildings they do very well. ALso at the ranges we were engaging the panther and tiger can be penetrated much more frequently then these P70's provided you pick the one that had 80mm frontal armor. the other has 60mm same as the Hetzer.
which at the distance we were firing they would have died fast. The hetzer has also a miserly HE complement. although most German gun 75L + has good penetration the P70 has the same gun as the Panther
so you get very, very few deflected shots.
The Hetzer does have a cute ability in RL not sure if it is modeled in the game, but it can fire its AA MG by remote. so you don't have to stick the TC melon out to use it.

2. as for the russian flanking platoon you would have to ask Herroberst. But we can spend second guessing it till kingdom come. if the game would have lasted longer he probably would have captured it and possibly a draw. secon if that platoon would have being in the fight at city center could it have turned the tide possibly, that just one of those what if's that we will never know for sure. But i promise you will relive it in many of your own games.

Walkure
Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2008, 01:38 PM,
Thanks again to all thise involved for a rather entertaining read. The ability to see both sides of the battle at the same time is great. Looking forward to the next two contestants clashing.
12-02-2008, 01:37 AM,
The flanking squads primary mission was to guard against Walkure sending something over that way to get behind me. Since nothing showed up, I decided to move into his rear and try to take his rear objective. Against Walkures defense in the city I don't think the platoon + would have tilted any advantage my way. The platoon needed another one or two turns to secure that rear objective so I got close but no cigar.

I could have used my T-34s differently by moving them out to the flanks and trying to snipe his assault guns or threatening them enough that he would have to turn them. Any high speed approach in the city on the roads would have been met by a flurry of panzershrek and grenade bundles. For example, I could have sent a T-34/85 platoon onto that left flank ridge and looked down into the city from there. Failure to do that led to my ultimate demise.
12-02-2008, 07:55 AM,
Thank you, gentlemen, for sharing your thoughts. I'm sure that I'm not the only combat missionary who will appreciate them.

-Rope
12-02-2008, 04:14 PM,
Just reread the whole thing in one sitting -- brilliant!
This makes CM a real spectator sport!
Congrats to the players and especially DK for all his hard work!
Looking fwd to Main Event II!! Big Grin
12-03-2008, 03:58 AM,
Thanks Rico! Always a thrill to get positive feedback from well respected players.
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
12-24-2008, 08:43 PM,
Superb work, thanks DK!