• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

"Save as" same as "Save" ?
09-15-2008, 02:48 PM,
RE: "Save as" same as "Save" ?
Michael Wrote:What happens when the Wifey says 'Dinner is ready RIGHT NOW, and by the way when were done I have to use the computer.."

??

File --> Save

File --> Exit

Still not a reason to use "Save As"

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
09-17-2008, 09:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-17-2008, 09:19 AM by Hobbes.)
Well I once managed to delete a saved PBEM game and ever since I have liked to use "Save As" to have a backup. I still remember the boredom of trying to replay the turn and get exactly the same combat results as I did the first time so as not to feel like I was cheating.

Save As gives me comfort as I know if I do that I will never have to go through that hour of tedium again.

Cheers, Chris
09-17-2008, 10:07 AM,
I know what you mean Hobbes.

Fortunately, my opponents in the larger scenario's don't care how many times you save and I did find out that I didn't have to "save as" after every turn was ended.

Once I learned the "saved as" trick, my opponents, whom I asked to report any "saved" notification have told me they are no longer getting them.

Pat

Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

09-19-2008, 03:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-19-2008, 03:19 AM by Kool Kat.)
Gents:

Not to belabor the point... Whip

But just for clarification... If you save a PBeM game (Matrix ver. 1.04) as "save" AND "save" more then two times on a current turn, will the game report to your opponent that the current turn was saved over two times?

Reason for question / clarification. I often need to "save" a turn in progress; especially higher complexity (7-9) scenarios. Can only work on a turn with many units in short time snippets.

Please advise. :cool:
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
09-19-2008, 03:22 AM,
Yes, all this change does for me is to make everyone more suspicious which I think is a shame and won't stop determined cheaters (not that I think many exist).

Cheers, Chris
09-19-2008, 04:50 AM,
Hobbes Wrote:Yes, all this change does for me is to make everyone more suspicious which I think is a shame and won't stop determined cheaters (not that I think many exist).

Cheers, Chris

Ok. So the best course of action for me would be to inform my PBeM opponents that I had to "save" my turn multiple times? :chin:

I'm not sure I like this change introduced in ver. 1.04. :( As Chris mentioned in his post, it makes everyone more suspicious and interjects a cloud of doubt over our moves.

I also believe that most CS players are honest :) and that cheaters are few and far between.
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
09-19-2008, 05:12 AM,
I can make the suggestion that you let your opponent know that you might have to or make multiple saves during the turn. :chin:
As for me I feel my opponents are some of the most honorable gamers I've engaged in cyber combat with.

Tide1
War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.William Tecumseh Sherman
09-19-2008, 05:28 AM,
mwest Wrote:
Hobbes Wrote:Yes, all this change does for me is to make everyone more suspicious which I think is a shame and won't stop determined cheaters (not that I think many exist).

Cheers, Chris

Ok. So the best course of action for me would be to inform my PBeM opponents that I had to "save" my turn multiple times? :chin:

I'm not sure I like this change introduced in ver. 1.04. :( As Chris mentioned in his post, it makes everyone more suspicious and interjects a cloud of doubt over our moves.

I also believe that most CS players are honest :) and that cheaters are few and far between.

Mike, you are correct, two out of three.
The save count was part of version 1.03.
It was first represented as "2 free saves" and then you would get a report stating how many saves over the two "freebies" were made. I questioned an opponent when I saw he had "2 saves" displayed, after the replay, in a game turn that took only five or ten minutes to complete. I thought he had saved the game 4 times (2 freebies and two more). I think I asked why he saved a small scenario's turn so much. And, was completely satisfied by his answer, once the fact that he saved it only twice was discovered.
I used to save after friendly artillery fire, as a force of habit, from game crashes and sometimes power outages. I hate to watch replays and friendly artillery. ;) I don't save anymore unless I have a dog at my side, letting me know they have to go out.

Saves and "cheating" should not be considered the same. Teamgames often have multiple saves per turn as the teams pass the files around and the size of the teamer may take multiple sittings by each team member.
And, there are more sophisticated forms of cheating than just saving a turn?

As to the other two points? Yes, you should let your opponent know if you saved a few times and why. And, yes, the CS Ladder has few and far between on the cheater "hits list". :smoke:
Most cheaters come and go quickly as their number of opponents wears thin and they troll for "newbies". Sadly, a lot of "new players" end up quitting when they think that they are "not good enough" to play against the ladder.

Would I think multiple saves were "cheating"? Most likely not. Unless, the scenario was a small one with twenty saves per turn and the scenario having only fifteen to twenty units. :rolleyes:
Right now I have one dog jumping up on me to let me know that she needs to "go outside" really badly. If it was a small game and I saved the turn, I would let my opponent know. :)

cheers

RR
09-19-2008, 10:46 PM,
Hi Ed: :)

Thanks for your reply. Informative.

Now... if only I can get above that .500 mark in game victories too! :whis:
Send this user an email