• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

MG44 XXX Corps night fixing, good or bad?
09-10-2008, 06:17 PM,
RE: MG44 XXX Corps night fixing, good or bad?
I agree Never Snows is a great read.

I high lights the actions around Arnhem the initial confusion on both sides, followed by the on and off fight between the 1st AB and the mixed German forces, something that MG44 does not capture very well.

Peter777
Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2008, 05:24 AM,
Dog Soldier Wrote:
Foul Wrote:Thank you for the info guys, i have not got an in depth book on this battle and the pages on the net did not mention this fact.
For a good read of the German POV, pick up the book It Never Snows in September.
I am nearly done with it having saw it references in Steel God's profile. It is quite remarkable view of the German capabilities in the MG battle.

Dog Soldier
Thanks for the info, i will check this out on Amazon UK.
09-14-2008, 01:10 AM,
Dog Soldier Wrote:
Foul Wrote:Thank you for the info guys, i have not got an in depth book on this battle and the pages on the net did not mention this fact.
For a good read of the German POV, pick up the book It Never Snows in September.
I am nearly done with it having saw it references in Steel God's profile. It is quite remarkable view of the German capabilities in the MG battle.

Dog Soldier

But do bear in mind that Kershaw forgot more than a couple of things from the German side in his book, especially about the battles east of Nijmegen. To complete reading Kershaw I would recommend also:
The Market Garden Chapter in All American All the Way by Phil Nordyke and from the German side Das Fallschirmjäger LehrRegiment by Bliss and Boszhammer. The latter descibes the German counterattacks from the east of Nijmegen and the order of battle in detail.
Rico used this information in his version of the campaign and maybe the Alt campaign of VM did too. The stock campaign has a much more free interpretation of the facts... to say it kindly.