• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

MG44 XXX Corps night fixing, good or bad?
09-09-2008, 04:47 AM,
MG44 XXX Corps night fixing, good or bad?
Guy's,
I am just getting into MG44 and i was wondering if there is a consensus on if the fixing of the XXX Corps at night is jusified historically and is a good or bad idea for the standard campaign from a balance POV?

I am playing the Germans and without the night fixing it feels like the XXX Corps will just roll right over you and your units are just speed bumps, at least with the break at night you can try to organise some form of defence! :eek1:
Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2008, 05:20 AM,
RE: MG44 XXX Corps night fixing, good or bad?
Lefty historicly they went to bed for the night. If they had kept going they would of relieved the paratroopers :chin: Unfortunately we will never know for sure :conf:

Gramps
War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.William Tecumseh Sherman
09-09-2008, 05:31 AM,
Foul. Wrote:...if the fixing of the XXX Corps at night is jusified historically

It most certainly is historically justified. I suppose you could make your own version of the Scn and remove this but then again you could also allow the 1st AB the ablity to call Air Support for Aircraft supporting XXX Corps which they could do either.

....might be interesting to see what effect it would have but it wouldn't be historical either.

Glenn
Send this user an email
09-09-2008, 05:36 AM,
Glenn Saunders Wrote:

It most certainly is historically justified. I suppose you could make your own version of the Scn and remove this but then again you could also allow the 1st AB the ablity to call Air Support for Aircraft supporting XXX Corps which they could do either.

....might be interesting to see what effect it would have but it wouldn't be historical either.

Glenn

Just be thankful that you don't have them fixed at 4.00 pm as well when everything use to stop for tea. :)
09-09-2008, 06:56 AM,
FLG Wrote:
Glenn Saunders Wrote:

Glenn

Just be thankful that you don't have them fixed at 4.00 pm as well when everything use to stop for tea. :)

Thank you for the info guys, i have not got an in depth book on this battle and the pages on the net did not mention this fact.

Marc,
I am playing the Germans, so they can drink tea the whole day if they like!! LOL
09-09-2008, 11:13 AM,
Here is one quick reference I found for your info.

http://nieuwint.net/ww2/index.php?option...&Itemid=29

This one discusses the first days advance.

> At the end of the day they were no further then Valkenswaard (15km from the starting line) before they stopped for the night.

There are other references, particularly after they finally captured the Nijmegan Bridge and there may have been nothing stopping them from driving on to Arnhem - except darkness and the unknown.

Glenn
Send this user an email
09-09-2008, 11:35 AM,
IMO, MG44 could do with a few changes to give more realistic but also more interesting H2H games.

With regards to night fixing in general I agree with it for the 1st few days. But I would like to see it being less predictable at edges, so the Germans cannot count on it 100% of the time.

Cheers

Peter777
09-09-2008, 01:43 PM,
I have a new MG44 CG if anyone is interested. I overhauled the German OOB to match new research recently available. Removed the unplayable areas to allow both Allied and German flanking corps to join the battle after a few days. Added multiple strategies for both sides for lots of variety. I did keep the XXX Corps fixed at night for the initial days and even fixed the 101 to avoid them running amuck. I think you'll find it an interesting alternative to the stock scenarios.

E-mail me if you want me to send the files. Soon I'll upload it to both Blitz & Glenn.

Bob
09-09-2008, 04:08 PM,
Glenn Saunders Wrote:Here is one quick reference I found for your info.

http://nieuwint.net/ww2/index.php?option...&Itemid=29

This one discusses the first days advance.

> At the end of the day they were no further then Valkenswaard (15km from the starting line) before they stopped for the night.

There are other references, particularly after they finally captured the Nijmegan Bridge and there may have been nothing stopping them from driving on to Arnhem - except darkness and the unknown.

Glenn
Thank you for that Glenn, i had been on that site and had missed that piece of text Doohhhhh :hissy:
09-10-2008, 06:07 PM,
Foul Wrote:Thank you for the info guys, i have not got an in depth book on this battle and the pages on the net did not mention this fact.
For a good read of the German POV, pick up the book It Never Snows in September.
I am nearly done with it having saw it references in Steel God's profile. It is quite remarkable view of the German capabilities in the MG battle.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp