• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

How to kill uber Axis tanks?
08-23-2008, 08:49 AM,
RE: How to kill uber Axis tanks?
try at all cost to get side and rear shots on those big cats. i try to never shoot it out head on , especially at range. Sometimes you may have to face them head on, in this case be sure that they have already fired and try to get in adjaccent hex for max firepower. Only do the frontal shooting with yor highest firepower unit as to try and do the most damage. If you are very lucky you can try and disrupt/surround and assault those babies into submission. But against a good german player close opportuities are rare and he will fight you at range as he should. good luck
Quote this message in a reply
08-24-2008, 07:56 AM,
Huib,

I completely agree with your statement that Tiger I's are easier to kill in the CS game than they were in reality. That infact goes with the Panther and any number of other tanks IMO. In the past I had worked up a armor value formula for new vehicals (mostly tanks) that were going to be introduced with the then Project Blitz projects. those values pretty much worked out to give the exact same protection values (give or take a point here and there) as what the CS game allready provided. That formula was worked up using armor thickness and slope worked up togather to give an effective value. What that formula didn't use or take into account. Was the actual thickness of the armor being an equal value all to itself, To be formulated equally with thickness and slope providing an effective value. Talonsoft seemed to have missed this. And I was only trying to reverse engineer what they were providing us, In order to create armor values for new tanks ect.

I have conducted a battery of test fires with tens of thousands of die rolls be done against tanks like the Tiger I and Panther. Using 5SP platoons of M4(76)Shermans I would on a regular basis get kills on both Tigers and Panthers frontally at 5 and 6 hex range (1250 meters & 1500 meters simulated ), And that just never happened historically. And this is not to say an M4(76)Sherman can stand toe to toe with a Tiger or Panther and trade shots. It's that the Tiger & Panthers are able to be killed, disrupted and or caused to retreat from tanks that historically never achieved those results from those ranges. Even worse for the Panther. When a Panther is forced to retreat from fire that otherwise shouldn't have achieved results anyway or be extremely rare. The whole Panther platoon then becomes cannon fodder to pretty much any medium tank with a side or rear shot.

I am working up a new revised armor formula where effective thickness and actual thickness of armor are formulated equally. My Idea is to have the Panthers frontal protection increased from 21 to 23 using that formula. This help a bit in preventing so many of the long range kills and retreats inflicted on the Panther. The Tiger I's frontal protection value will likely go from 16 to 20 using this new formula. Players should be aware that thickness itself was a value ( the T/D ratio .. Thickness of armor to Diameter of projectile striking the armor ). These proposed changes will not IMO alter existing scenarios or game play. What it will do is get us a bit closer to historical realism and more expected battlefield fire results. I will get with Jason on this and propose it for possible 1.05 Matrix update.
08-24-2008, 08:47 AM,
Turn off the armor facing rule......
"The secret to success is not just doing the things you enjoy but rather enjoying everything that you do."
08-24-2008, 08:39 PM,
Von Earlmann Wrote:Turn off the armor facing rule......

Turn on the armor facing rule...... when playing against the AI. :whis:
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
08-25-2008, 04:17 AM,
playing against the AI? thats like kissin yor sister
08-25-2008, 05:04 AM,
Have you seen his sister? Eek

Grrrrowwwllllll! :smoke:

Ed
08-25-2008, 09:55 AM,
is that his sister holdin the gun?
08-25-2008, 11:43 PM,
Krec Wrote:is that his sister holdin the gun?

Yep! :smoke:

Don't mess with the "red, white and blue" !! Eek
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
08-26-2008, 09:55 AM,
I've learned two lessons the hard way:

Don't even bother to attack a target that has big German tanks and a great field of fire; find another way to win the game.

NEVER move your superior armor through a wooded area or choke point until or unless you have explored it with infantry or small mobile units.

There was once a question about what one thought was the most important single aspect of a game. There were many opinions, but mine and the majority of others was recon.

Those Panthers and Tigers can't hurt you if they can't see you.

Of course, I seldom use this logic and hence my very poor win/loss percentage????????

Pat

Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

08-26-2008, 12:24 PM,
Maybe it's just me, but something about MWest's sister suggests she enjoys a good dance.