• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

How to kill uber Axis tanks?
08-21-2008, 09:26 AM,
How to kill uber Axis tanks?
In a few of my games against the Axis i'm having real troubles killing units like the Panther and Tiger, in one game i haven't killed a single SP of any Panther units i have engaged. I have tried close assaults against a single platoons worth of Panthers in village/suburb/industrial terrain by over a Coy's worth of infantry with Sherman support and i didn't even disrupt them!

What do you guys do when faced with a unit like this?

cheers
Quote this message in a reply
08-21-2008, 09:45 AM,
RE: How to kill uber Axis tanks?
Matt run like hell Big Grin

Some scenarios you can't even scratch the paint. It's how the designer made the scenario. All you can do is say bad things :(

Gary
War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.William Tecumseh Sherman
08-21-2008, 09:59 AM,
Well i'm way ahead of you in the cursing department. :hissy:

Oh for a modern MBT. ;)
08-21-2008, 10:17 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-21-2008, 10:25 AM by Otto von Blotto.)
Same way as the Germans cope with the T34 and KV series tanks or the Germans did for the French tanks early in the war or even how the British fight against the panther IV series:
If armour facing is on go for ambush/reteats/rear shots.
if off
set up the best shot you can with the highest hard hit factors at the range you have and hope.;)

NB if you are playing with 1.02 Assult rules disrupt with hard attack and assult. If playing 1.03/1.04 rules, assult in force in open ground or disruped with attack to turn/retreat and then pound,

Use air to harress, and go for the most exposed and vunerable in the early stages to cut the numbers down. The brakedown of forces in most scn means the allies will have much more equipment than the axis.

If all else fails go for tiger I rather than panthers straight armour vs angled with everything you have.
08-21-2008, 10:23 AM,
I've had a King Tiger literally surrounded by enemy units. I just shot my way out and escaped with no damage after two turns?????

I had actually written the Tiger off and couldn't believe my good fortune.

You've got major problems versus german tanks in open terrain. In wooded areas, the T-34 can hold its own.

In a scenario with both open and wooded areas, I just try to avoid crossing open terrain. Of course, I don't always take my own advice and pay the consequences.

Pat (Montana Grizz)

Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

08-21-2008, 10:33 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-21-2008, 10:47 AM by Otto von Blotto.)
But that's how the game should be (the open ground thing I mean), you reconise the problems allow for them in your plan aviod or mitagate them if possible and play to your strengths.

I have played as the Reds against Tiger II's and killed more in close ambushes with small light tanks at close range, than I did with JSII's close up and at range. That will only get easyier with the new conceilment rules.

Believe me this was a bit of a shock as I normally play the germans and didn't realise just how vunerable they are at short range. if they have you at long range, hide or withdraw untiltill they have to get closer.:smoke:
08-21-2008, 10:39 AM,
Fubar Wrote:Oh for a modern MBT. ;)

And when you get it you will find that modern tank warfare is quick and deadly. Especially when you have T5x T6x T7x vs Leos or M1A1s
3 op-fires = 3 dead platoons
08-21-2008, 10:49 AM,
junk2drive Wrote:And when you get it you will find that modern tank warfare is quick and deadly. Especially when you have T5x T6x T7x vs Leos or M1A1s
3 op-fires = 3 dead platoons

I play winSPMBT and modern MBT's with good fire control and TI can tear apart a USSR player in just a few turns.....nasty. :smoke:

Retreat works ok if the Axis is on the advance but in my games he is on the defence and i have very limited smoke rounds and his flanks are covered by infantry. :(

cheers
08-21-2008, 02:50 PM,
Divided Ground, in the 1973 scenarios, had some sort of anti-tank equipment that infantry used that was deadly, like junk2drive described, at very great distances. There was one 1973 scenario where Israeli tanks make a run on the Suez Canal, but the Egyptians have a boatload of these small foot units with these anti-tank devices, and the Egyptians can wipe out the Israelis tanks in a wink of the eye. Because the Israelis had no supporting infantry, I found it to be a really tough scenario.
08-21-2008, 02:59 PM,
Try Heavy Metal Thunder as USA vs someone like big dawg. Even Pershings and Super Pershings don't help.

Speaking of DG and MBT and AIW, I don't know how many times I have started that MBT campaign as Egypt and never finished it.