RE: Good call
hedgehog(FGM) Wrote:Quote Winston Churchill

The Worst Quarrels only arise when both sides are equally
in the right and in the wrong

Which, in my experience is always in current events :P
Quote this message in a reply
08-19-2008, 12:24 PM,
I share John Waynes's view- "When somebody says something isn't a clear-cut black and white issue, I say Why the hell not?"
08-19-2008, 09:37 PM,
PoorOldSpike Wrote:I share John Waynes's view- "When somebody says something isn't a clear-cut black and white issue, I say Why the hell not?"

Speaking for me, personally, I agree with you Mick. For me, most things are black and white, and crystal clear.

But speaking for the Club as a whole, with 100s of members from many different cultures and back grounds, the issues get a whole lot grayer. They might not be beyond resolution, but since we're here to foster the growth of our war gaming hobby, it's just wasted effort to try and do so. So instead we leave the non-war gaming issues be and focus on what we are here for.

cheers
08-19-2008, 09:50 PM,
Steel God Wrote:..but since we're here to foster the growth of our war gaming hobby..

Hey wait a minute my Leader, you posted a while ago saying something like it really makes no difference to you whether Blitz membership is small or large. I thought at the time that was an odd thing to say but I let it go, maybe I misunderstood?
08-19-2008, 10:02 PM,
PoorOldSpike Wrote:
Steel God Wrote:..but since we're here to foster the growth of our war gaming hobby..

Hey wait a minute my Leader, you posted a while ago saying something like it really makes no difference to you whether Blitz membership is small or large. I thought at the time that was an odd thing to say but I let it go, maybe I misunderstood?

No contradiction Mick. We are here to foster growth of the hobby. Growth of Blitz Membership is not necessary to grow the hobby. The two may work hand in hand at times, but the goal is never to grow Blitz membership at the expense of the hobby. The hobby can exist without the Blitz, the Blitz can not exist without the hobby.
08-19-2008, 10:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-21-2008, 12:04 AM by Steel God.)
Steel God Wrote:..We are here to foster growth of the hobby...

Why?
Oops I can see we're getting into deeply philosophical ground here..:)

Edit: Incidental comment about another site removed by moderator.

I've got one or two ideas for helping Blitz grow too, but I shelved them after your "we don't necessarily want to grow" proclamation.
You're the boss of course and I only do what you tell me, life's so much simpler that way..:)

PS- By the way, it'd be fascinating to know what the Blitz membership figures are over the past few years and see if they're growing or diminishing, in particular the figures for the CM area, are such figures available?
08-20-2008, 12:17 AM,
PoorOldSpike Wrote:PS- By the way, it'd be fascinating to know what the Blitz membership figures are over the past few years and see if they're growing or diminishing, in particular the figures for the CM area, are such figures available?

Technically yes, all data is available. It's in the database when people join, if they're active, what their last date of activity was, etc. But is it easily extractable? No. There is no tool built to extract that data, so it would have to be mined the old fashioned way, and with over 6000 folks registered at one time or another, it would be a lot of shovel work.
08-20-2008, 10:39 PM,
Steel God Wrote:
PoorOldSpike Wrote:PS- By the way, it'd be fascinating to know what the Blitz membership figures are over the past few years and see if they're growing or diminishing, in particular the figures for the CM area, are such figures available?

Technically yes, all data is available. It's in the database when people join, if they're active, what their last date of activity was, etc. But is it easily extractable? No. There is no tool built to extract that data, so it would have to be mined the old fashioned way, and with over 6000 folks registered at one time or another, it would be a lot of shovel work.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. The CM community at least is shrinking. TPG is the only CM membership I know of that's continuing to grow.

Along will come another game to catch the gamers eyes in awhile. Then the hobby will explode with whatever system catches it's for awhile before it too starts to decline. Single or small game series systems won't have a very long shelf life. Technology alone starts to eat at the dedicated gamer base as the computers leave the system behind.

Good Hunting.

MR
08-20-2008, 10:43 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-21-2008, 12:06 AM by Steel God.)
Edit: Contents of post removed as they rebutted a statement made earlier in the thread, which was removed as off topic, making the rebuttal unnecessary. SG
08-20-2008, 10:59 PM,
Just a reminder gentlemen to not have a debate about another web site here at the Blitz. To discuss other sites I encourage you to use the forums of the site in question. Thanks in advance for your cooperation with that policy.