• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

A Question....
08-04-2008, 11:27 AM,
RE: A Question....
Mad Russian Wrote:Thanks Paul. I am pretty adamant about getting in touch with Jim or Mark. If you like you could have them get in touch with me. My email is on the site. Or at worst you have it. I know Randy still does. Phone calls or personal meeting is not out the question either. I've gone farther for less than what we are talking about doing here.

:chin: Well, since I'm not really sure what we're talking about here, I don't think I want to volunteer to be your intermediary. I figure if you wanted me to know you'd have clued me in, but you haven't, so I'll not ask you to, but nor will I volunteer to be your go between. No offense intended, just the way I see things.

Mad Russian Wrote:I will continue my efforts to get in touch with them until I talk with at least one of them or the stone cold silence gets too deafening. But I can stand alot of silence......lol.....I can just come and see if I can get Bootie to buy Forge of Freedom while I wait....he would love that game if he likes strategic mind benders. The resemblances to the war in Russia 1941-1945 are amazing.

You are free to contact them, of course.

Mad Russian Wrote:I appreciate the warning. I didn't mention it to him. It's not about that. If he wants to know about it we can discuss it but this isn't about Blitz procedures...etc....

Understood. He may not make the connection at all, don't know.

Mad Russian Wrote:This thread has turned into several things. From asking a simple question to fielding questions by staff members and even TALKING ABOUT WARGAMES! Woo Hoo!!

I have tried to keep this focused and deleted a few off topic posts, although the minor banter about games I have left, yes. What's the harm, right? ;)

Mad Russian Wrote:You're the only one that really pretty much knows what this is about. I don't have any desire to make the purpose of my contact with Jim public. All I will say is that it's not about vendettas, Blitz procedures, etc... It's about fowarding the wargame community. And from you told POS earlier, about the reason for their wanting a different kind of club, I feel more inclined to discuss my communications with him than ever before.

As I alluded to in the first statement above, I'm not really at all clear about what you want to talk about with him, and have proceeded under the assumption that it's none of my business. I will keep it that way unless you (or he) shares it with me.

Mad Russian Wrote:Since this thread is wandering so much, I asked you before what you play, but we got hit with tangents, and you never answered that. So, again, what do you play here on the site? Have you tried Forge of Freedom by Matrix? Do you have an interest in the American Civil War?

At present I only play CMx1, Forge of Freedom and Panzer Commader: Operation Winter Storm and Kharkov.

It's been almost 2 years, maybe a shade less, since I've had the time to actually play a game of anything , here or anywhere. The price of being an administrator and having to spend all my time fielding questions and fixing stuff. Cry When I did play I was in up to my eyeballs on the SP and OpC Ladders. SP was my original game, and my first Forum Moderation responsibility. OpC was my second passion, and also my second Moderation responsibility. I managed both until Jim asked me to do my current duties for him around early 2006, maybe it was late 2005, and I handed them over to Chris and Brian respectively. If I had to choose between the two today I'd go back to OpC as I'm more of an operational thinker than a tactical thinker, and I worked on more than half the series and feel some sense of ownership. FoF appeals to me because I loved VG's Civil War (still do), but my old PC wouldn't run it, I haven't the time to learn or play it.
Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2008, 11:29 AM,
Mad Russian Wrote:So it doesn't come as any surprise to you I've asked anyone that may know of Jim on 4 other web sites about being able to contact him as well.

Also, I believe I have a really good idea of how to contact him at work. I'll not do that though unless all other avenues of communications fail. That would mean no communications with Mark either. I figure, in todays world, I should be able to find, and talk with, at least one, if not both of them.

I appreciate all you've done in this matter so far.

Have at it Steve.
08-04-2008, 11:55 AM,
Steel God Wrote:It's been almost 2 years, maybe a shade less, since I've had the time to actually play a game of anything , here or anywhere. The price of being an administrator and having to spend all my time fielding questions and fixing stuff. Cry

Oh really? There's a reason to never become a mod or staff!!

Quote:When I did play I was in up to my eyeballs on the SP and OpC Ladders. SP was my original game,..... If I had to choose between the two today I'd go back to OpC as I'm more of an operational thinker than a tactical thinker, and I worked on more than half the series and feel some sense of ownership. FoF appeals to me because I loved VG's Civil War (still do), but my old PC wouldn't run it, I haven't the time to learn or play it.

What the heck is OpC?

Victory Games Civil War is GREAT! Your machine will run FoF just fine. My machine is a 1.1 ghz and all it tells me about FoF is that I have to run it on low-res. I don't do the detailed combat since I prefer to the strategic game play. That's what I bought the game for not their rendition of the tactical combat.

I do a turn in under an hour. The learning curve isn't bad for those that have played VG's Civil War. The rule book sucks though. They have a pdf file that helps.

Good Hunting.

MR
08-04-2008, 12:00 PM,
Steel God Wrote::chin: Well, since I'm not really sure what we're talking about here, I don't think I want to volunteer to be your intermediary. I figure if you wanted me to know you'd have clued me in, but you haven't, so I'll not ask you to, but nor will I volunteer to be your go between. No offense intended, just the way I see things.

No offense taken.

I learned how to do emails along time ago. Barring that, there are lots of ways to get in touch with people these days. No matter what jobs they hold or where on the planet they hold them.

Good Hunting.

MR
08-04-2008, 12:05 PM,
Mad Russian Wrote:What the heck is OpC?

The Operational Campaigns Ladder (OpC). This is good example of what I mean when I tell folks the Blitz isn't about THEIR ladder, it's about all of them. It's human nature to view the world from your own POV I guess. Anyway, the OpC ladder support HPS Simulations Operational Level games. Panzer Campaigns and Modern Campaigns.

Mad Russian Wrote:Victory Games Civil War is GREAT! Your machine will run FoF just fine. My machine is a 1.1 ghz and all it tells me about FoF is that I have to run it on low-res. I don't do the detailed combat since I prefer to the strategic game play. That's what I bought the game for not their rendition of the tactical combat.

I do a turn in under an hour. The learning curve isn't bad for those that have played VG's Civil War. The rule book sucks though. They have a pdf file that helps.

Good to know. It's been one of the few games recently to actually make me look it up and read about it. I kind of abandoned hope when I saw the system requirements, but maybe it's not a lost cause. Who knows, maybe I'll find some time, but if I do I have some debts to pay in the OpC ladder first.
08-04-2008, 12:12 PM,
If you get the time you should try out a scenario from the H2H section Paul. Darran and his team are doing an awsome job getting scenarios balanced.

Gary
War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.William Tecumseh Sherman
08-04-2008, 12:13 PM,
tide1 Wrote:If you get the time you should try out a scenario from the H2H section Paul. Darran and his team are doing an awsome job getting scenarios balanced.

Gary

It is to Darran who my first "debt" is owed. I should just get it over and let the youngster beat me in a desert scenario and let him get the crowing over with. Big Grin
08-04-2008, 12:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-04-2008, 12:21 PM by Mad Russian.)
Steel God Wrote:The Operational Campaigns Ladder (OpC). This is good example of what I mean when I tell folks the Blitz isn't about THEIR ladder, it's about all of them. It's human nature to view the world from your own POV I guess. Anyway, the OpC ladder support HPS Simulations Operational Level games. Panzer Campaigns and Modern Campaigns.

Don't pat yourself on the back too much I could start throwing alphabet soup at you too......CMBB, CMAK, CMx1, CMx2, PC:OWS, PC:K...etc....

LOL....I've been in wargames along time we don't even want to go down the board game alphabet......PB, PL, SL, ASL, FTL, BoB...and the list goes on. I own more than 200+ board wargames. As you might imagine they cover alot of subjects.

You just need to be ready for when World in Flames comes out. Then I'll have to buy a new computer because I will play that game with full bells and whistles.

Good Hunting.

MR
08-04-2008, 12:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-04-2008, 12:27 PM by Steel God.)
Mad Russian Wrote:
Steel God Wrote:The Operational Campaigns Ladder (OpC). This is good example of what I mean when I tell folks the Blitz isn't about THEIR ladder, it's about all of them. It's human nature to view the world from your own POV I guess. Anyway, the OpC ladder support HPS Simulations Operational Level games. Panzer Campaigns and Modern Campaigns.

Don't pat yourself on the back too much I could start throwing alphabet soup at you too......CMBB, CMAK, CMx1, CMx2, PC:OWS, PC:K...etc....

LOL....I've been in wargames along time we don't even want to go down the board game alphabet......PB, PL, SL, ASL, FTL, BoB...and the list goes on. I own more than 200+ board wargames. As you might imagine they cover alot of subjects.

You just need to be ready for when World in Flames comes out. Then I'll have to buy a new computer because I will play that game with full bells and whistles.

Good Hunting.

MR

LOL, but I know what all those acronyms mean. Big Grin FTL might be an exception, but the others I know. May not play them all, but I do have to be aware of what they are. Except the board games, those I don't have to know, I just love and have a closet full as well. I've been waiting about 5 years for ADG to get WiF on PC. I've begun to doubt it will ever get there, but man would that be a dream.

My dream PC game is Richard Berg's CNA from SPI. ;)
08-04-2008, 12:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-04-2008, 12:29 PM by Mad Russian.)
By the way.....

I had more than 60 emails this weekend. Posted here and about on the sites.

Played 5 PBEM turns of CM. Played 3 PBEM turns of PC. Played 2 PBEM turns of FoF. Played an entire TCP game of CM. Have 3 more CM PBEM turns to get out tonight.

Started the semi-final round in the KOTH2 tournament. Did an AAR for the Masters Tournament...see the Rumblings of War thread in the CM forum....

The RL stuff included taking the wife and grandkids to supper, the movies and to church...etc....

So now you see why some of us don't be volunteering for the trenches here....our plates are a bit full....which only goes to show you that I'm certifyably crazy with what I have coming within the remainder of the year, that, as we go, you will hear more and more of.

Good Hunting.

MR