• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

A Question....
08-04-2008, 05:55 AM,
RE: A Question....
I too sometimes wonder where JimvK is, I mailed him a few months ago but haven't yet had a reply. Okay it might have got lost in cyberspace, I dunno so i'll give him the benefit of the doubt..
For the record I said hello and asked him what his ultimate aims and ambitions were for Blitz, and whether he was Big Boss or in partnership with others, and whether he ran it purely as a hobby or to make money from, and whether he was happy with current membership numbers or whether he wanted to see it double or triple etc..
I also told him I'd got a few ideas to make Blitz even bigger and more successful than it already is, but as I said, no reply..
Nothing is guaranteed to alienate people more than not getting a reply, so maybe Jim should remove his mail address from the site, I mean if he's going to be absent for long periods it makes no sense having it on display does it?
Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2008, 07:02 AM,
PoorOldSpike Wrote:I too sometimes wonder where JimvK is, I mailed him a few months ago but haven't yet had a reply. Okay it might have got lost in cyberspace, I dunno so i'll give him the benefit of the doubt..
For the record I said hello and asked him what his ultimate aims and ambitions were for Blitz, and whether he was Big Boss or in partnership with others, and whether he ran it purely as a hobby or to make money from, and whether he was happy with current membership numbers or whether he wanted to see it double or triple etc..
I also told him I'd got a few ideas to make Blitz even bigger and more successful than it already is, but as I said, no reply..
Nothing is guaranteed to alienate people more than not getting a reply, so maybe Jim should remove his mail address from the site, I mean if he's going to be absent for long periods it makes no sense having it on display does it?

Jim's situation is different than most POS. He has some pretty heavy duty real life responsibilities. So, I'm sure the kinds of emails you said you sent he would expect SG and RD to handle. They would be the ones I think you should be approaching for your ideas to grow the membership here.

As for the site making money SG has repeatedly said this site is a volunteer site. They don't charge for you to be a member. It only makes whatever moneys are donated to the site by the members who appreciate the services they get here.

How often should the owner of the site expect to have to deal with any issues? Other than oversee how things are going. I would think his email the way SG describes it here, as being checked regularly, would work just fine.

If I were you I would take the projects you describe to either RD or SG and see if they can't help you with them. Maybe not. They might not fit the direction the site is going. But I would think they could at least let you know if they fit the concept here.

Good Hunting.

MR
08-04-2008, 07:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-04-2008, 07:50 AM by Steel God.)
Mad Russian Wrote:If I were you I would take the projects you describe to either RD or SG and see if they can't help you with them.

SG told me he prefers me to go through the chain of command instead of directly to him, but that doesn't work too well because Randy is nowadays sometimes away from Blitz for spells (that'd explain why my recent mail and PM to Randy went unanswered)

Edit: Comment removed as off topic. SG
08-04-2008, 07:33 AM,
Mad Russian Wrote:The discussions of how this site is managed on my part are at an end. Neither side is moving from their position.

Steve, your statement that neither side is moving on their position implies that you have heard, but not accepted the way the Blitz is run. That implication, if taken to it's logical conclusion implies that you would continue to work towards change of that, which would definitely be considered disruptive behavior in violation of our rules. Please be aware of where you stated position places you.

Paul
08-04-2008, 07:34 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-04-2008, 07:49 AM by Steel God.)
Edit: Comment removed by me as off topic.
08-04-2008, 07:47 AM,
PoorOldSpike Wrote:I too sometimes wonder where JimvK is, I mailed him a few months ago but haven't yet had a reply. Okay it might have got lost in cyberspace, I dunno so i'll give him the benefit of the doubt..

The day to day issues are handled by Randy and I until such time as he can return to the Blitz on a regular basis, so do not judge Jim harshly if he doesn't respond to your emails. It's really not making his event horizon at the moment. Sorry, that's life.

PoorOldSpike Wrote:For the record I said hello and asked him what his ultimate aims and ambitions were for Blitz, and whether he was Big Boss or in partnership with others, and whether he ran it purely as a hobby or to make money from, and whether he was happy with current membership numbers or whether he wanted to see it double or triple etc..

His ultimate aims are what they have always been, and which I have endeavored to expound upon as opportunity presents itself. To provide a commercial free Club where gamers can meet and play. We provide the ladder and the forum, and some rules for governance, and you stay and play if that suits you. Period.

He is one of two owners of the Blitz. They run this site for their own purposes. They never liked some of the other Clubs they belonged to, so they left them and formed their own Club where like minded people could come and play. In that respect what they do is a labor of love and is neither a hobby or a business. He cares not a lick if the membership base is 4 or 4000, only that people who want to be here, be here. The site makes zero income ( a dot org is non-profit, we are not legally allowed to make money, all donations must go back into the running of the website) so having a member base triple does nothing for us. This approach keeps us from compromising on the founders vision to kow tow to paying members. Some other sites will do anything to get you to click on their URL, but not us.

PoorOldSpike Wrote:I also told him I'd got a few ideas to make Blitz even bigger and more successful than it already is, but as I said, no reply..

Absentee or not, Jim is justifiably proud of his Club, and wants his name on their for his own purposes. He has that right. He also has made allowances for the management of the Club in his absence, which is where Randy and I come into the picture. Any questions or statements you might have about the Blitz and making it bigger, better, smaller, leaner, whatever, should be addressed to us until such time as Jim returns to a more normalized status and tells me, "Okay Number 1, I have the Conn".

Paul
08-04-2008, 07:51 AM,
SG, who is the other owner here?

Thanks in advance.

Good Hunting.

MR
08-04-2008, 07:58 AM,
PoorOldSpike Wrote:
Mad Russian Wrote:If I were you I would take the projects you describe to either RD or SG and see if they can't help you with them.

SG told me he prefers me to go through the chain of command instead of directly to him, but that doesn't work too well because Randy is nowadays sometimes away from Blitz for spells (that'd explain why my recent mail and PM to Randy went unanswered)

Edit: Comment removed as off topic. SG

It will work fine Mick. Ideas and the like passed onto your area's moderator, who will ruled out possibly, or if they have potential for their areas, post them in the Officers Area where we discuss what is worth doing, and if it's worth doing, is it possible (within or technical and financial limitations). Randy or I not being available any minute of every day doesn't impair that, as when we can logon our area Commanders have done a lot of the screening out already, and possibly the discussion is even fairly far along in the Officers Area and Randy or I just need to sign off on it. It's actually a good system I find, not the least of which it empowers the area Commanders to make decisions, so getting on their good sides is the pathway to making effective change and being heard. Annoying the Ladder Commander and being a nuisance would be a make him a roadblock. As allows and with all chains of Command, you are always free to skip a rung on the ladder, but when doing so, you have to make sure you are doing so with cause and validity, otherwise you're putting a wedge between the top tier of management and the ladder commanders, which I am staunchly against.
08-04-2008, 07:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-04-2008, 08:47 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
Steel God Wrote:......Randy and I......Any questions or statements you might have about the Blitz and making it bigger, better, smaller, leaner, whatever, should be addressed to us..

You already answered that a little while ago mate when you posted you were unconcerned about whether membership grows or not, which is a very healthy attitude if I may say so..:)

PS to add- I mean we can all therefore all sit back and enjoy the ride without giving two hoots about membership figures..:)
08-04-2008, 08:04 AM,
POS, if you have any ideas for further improvements that are relevant to the CM Ladder and not club wide changes just mail me or Wigam.

If they are relevant and bear further discussion we will work towards that as Bear and Ratzki have done recently... we are in discussion regarding some CM related issues.

You may notice as well that club wide discussions have instigated the introduction of a new ladder and other games are always being sounded out for inclusion at the Blitz. Forge of Freedom is the newest addition to the Blitz game pool.