• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Return of the Tournament Coordinator
06-26-2008, 01:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-26-2008, 01:34 PM by Colonel Talvela.)
RE: Return of the Tournament Coordinator
RedDevil Wrote:I don't think your Sith tournament is POS's responsibility, He's a tournament manager, but only for tournaments he sets up and runs.

We have several tournament managers here at The Blitz, including whoever set up and ran the Sith tournament.

I wasnt implying POS is responsible for the Sith tourney. Just based it on what you and POS said back when he was made tourney Coordinator.

But now are you saying this isnt valid:
RD from https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...664&page=2 post #13 Wrote:He {Tournament Coordinator} could also provide custom medals for your tournament to award.

He will also be responsible to reward tournament winners and participants bonus points and medals at the conclusion of the tournament.

Prizes awarded are the responsibility of the tourney designer/operator, not the coordinator or TheBlitz club.

and

POS from https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...664&page=2 post #14 Wrote:My lofty title of 'Tournament Coordinator', mainly means I have access to the 'Officers Barracks' area of Blitz where I can tag medals and bonuses onto competitors screennames.
Quote this message in a reply
06-26-2008, 01:17 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-26-2008, 01:30 PM by The Coil.)
RedDevil Wrote:It is rather difficult to approve things post-tournament as well, when they should have been done before hand.

Just curious, is this a new policy? Because IIRC there were a spate of tournaments recently that had points and badges handed out long after they wrapped up.

Also, the club rules regarding tournaments that you quoted are a little vague on the subject under discussion, actually. It might be clearer to amend them to say something along the lines of "The Tourney Master is responsible to coordinate with the Ladder Commander to approve any specific parameters not contained in the established club rules, including prizes, bonus points, and any specific tourney badges..." That might help remove some confusion regarding a procedure not actually mentioned in the rule noted above.

Anyway, just a few thoughts - no worries either way. Points and badges and stuff don't do much for me. Personally, I'd find it a bit sad if anyone just played in our Sith tournament for the sake of some bonus points and a pretend badge to flash around - the Sith, we play for fun (and ELO), not points... ;)
06-26-2008, 01:25 PM,
Here is how the Tournament Coordinator Position was defined by RD when it was first announced in its entirety. Is this still valid:

Quote:Allow me to define a little.

While it is assumed a coordinator is also the tourney runner, this is not the case always.

A coordinator is one who helps those who are interested in running tournaments by providing advice and mechanisms for the tournament runner to get things running smoothly for his tournament. He may also provide dates that might work better ( to avoid overlapping) and sign up lists of people who are most likely to finish a tournament based on his experiences and others whom he has assisted. He could also provide custom medals for your tournament to award.

He will also be responsible to reward tournament winners and participants bonus points and medals at the conclusion of the tournament.

Prizes awarded are the responsibility of the tourney designer/operator, not the coordinator or TheBlitz club.

Now a coordinator can also run these tournaments himself, and play in them as well, as long as the field is equal to all participants and no advantage is given to anyone purposely. Now mistakes happen, and an advantage could occur for someone, but that is the exception and hopefully the coordinator can make a decision of fair judgment to resolve.

If a tournament is running and an issue arises, the coordinator can arbitrate discussion involving play issues of exceptional magnitude (ie:cheating accusations) along with the ladder custodian and the tournament operator, to arrive at a decision.
He can also help make with judgment calls the specific tournament operator might need for minor issues.

If I missed any bases let me know?
06-26-2008, 01:39 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-26-2008, 01:41 PM by The Coil.)
Heh - CT and I seem to have overlapped posts - his post raises another question for me:

The tourney rules mention a "Tournament Master". The post he quoted mentions a "Tournament Coordinatior", a "Tournament Runner", and a "Tournament Operator" (presumably these last two are the same). RD's first post on this thread mentions "Tournament Managers". Perhaps it would help those running tournaments if there was a bit more clarity regarding which of these are just different names for the same thing, which are official club roles, and what each different position actually does and is responsible for.

It seems like things are a bit loose now, which could engender some confusion. It might encourage more people to run tournaments if the procedures by which they are run were a little more clear and consistent.
06-26-2008, 03:08 PM,
I think the tourney master, organizer, & runner are all the same. Now we have a new Coordinator, whose job was defined above.
06-26-2008, 09:55 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-26-2008, 10:15 PM by RedDevil.)
It looks to me like you're both discussing the same thing and all the answers are there already for you.

POS's responsibility, He's a tournament manager/master/runner, but only for tournaments he sets up and runs.
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
06-26-2008, 10:10 PM,
There have been, and can be, if the Ladder Commander wishes, a "Tournament Coordinator" for his Community...that person would have over all responsibility to coordinate on Tournies in his area and make sure they run according to the wishes of the Ladder Commander. In the absence of a named Tournament Coordinator, those duties are assumed by the Ladder Commander.

Tournament Masters run their Tournaments, and answer to the Tourney Coordinator if there is one, or the Ladder Commander if there is not.

At the current time Mick is not a Tournament Coordinator, but the Master of his Tournaments only.

For further clarification, Tourney Coordinators are Staff positions and you will find them listed in the Chain of Command section (at the current time on the OpC Ladder has one I believe). Tourney Masters are not Staff positions.

Hope that helps.
06-26-2008, 10:14 PM,
The Coil Wrote:
RedDevil Wrote:It is rather difficult to approve things post-tournament as well, when they should have been done before hand.

Just curious, is this a new policy? Because IIRC there were a spate of tournaments recently that had points and badges handed out long after they wrapped up.

Also, the club rules regarding tournaments that you quoted are a little vague on the subject under discussion, actually. It might be clearer to amend them to say something along the lines of "The Tourney Master is responsible to coordinate with the Ladder Commander to approve any specific parameters not contained in the established club rules, including prizes, bonus points, and any specific tourney badges..." That might help remove some confusion regarding a procedure not actually mentioned in the rule noted above.

Anyway, just a few thoughts - no worries either way. Points and badges and stuff don't do much for me. Personally, I'd find it a bit sad if anyone just played in our Sith tournament for the sake of some bonus points and a pretend badge to flash around - the Sith, we play for fun (and ELO), not points... ;)

I never said it was impossible, just difficult. The advantage of my being CM commander AND 3rd in command here at the club meant it was simply easier for me to do things without needing to go up thru the CoC and get things uploaded, as well as rewarded. Now it needs to pass thru a few hands to get it done.

We prefer vague as the ladder commander has to have leeway in how he wants to run his ladder and without restricting his limits, we offer that ability.

I find your comment about "flashing" a false badge rather undermining of the system we have here to reward people for their efforts with a visual item, in addition to points, and quite frankly it reeks of a personal issue you seem to have with those who have them and flash them.
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
06-26-2008, 11:33 PM,
[Image: redtape.jpg]
06-26-2008, 11:52 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-26-2008, 11:53 PM by Colonel Talvela.)
Steel God Wrote:For further clarification, Tourney Coordinators are Staff positions and you will find them listed in the Chain of Command section (at the current time on the OpC Ladder has one I believe). Tourney Masters are not Staff positions.

Hope that helps.

Actually that does help, yes. I was confused thinking that POS was a 'tourney coordinator' again. My mistake.

But that actually leads me to another question, if I may:

POS stated "Many thanks to the Blitz staff for recently approving the official title of 'CM Tactical Analyst & Tournament Manager' for me" and I noticed in his profile he has 'tournament manager' as his status instead of 'active member'.

What does that position mean?