• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

a simple question
06-22-2008, 08:39 AM,
RE: a simple question
I was going to create another thread with this question, but it seems better to just append to this thread.

In many games, my infantry will have LOS to an enemy, but won't shoot. They'll just sit there, they'll be rested and OK, and they won't shoot at the enemy - I just finished a PBEM turn in which this happened, and 2 of my squads could see their squads at 14% exposure and firepower of about 125, and they still wouldn't fire.
I've tried making cover arcs, yet they still won't always fire at the enemy when they come into the arc, and this results in me manually needing to pick out targets for the unit in the order phase.
How can I prevent this? Or do I just have to deal with this?
Quote this message in a reply
06-23-2008, 08:16 AM,
The game's AI calculates if a target is a good target for firing on. From what you stated, a firepower of 125 at an enemy with only 14% exposure would leave your unit shooting with an effective firepower of about 16. Where the game's threshold is, I don't know, but seems to me that all you could really hope for with this fire might be a pinned enemy, and then probably only after quite a few rounds were fired at the target.
06-25-2008, 01:18 PM,
They also get a lot more selective when their ammo gets low, although I don't know if that would be an issue in your specific case...