• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Finding hull down positions.
04-24-2008, 08:13 AM,
RE: Finding hull down positions.
The other thing to keep in mind is that "hull-down" does not equal "invincible". Sometimes it's better to be in the best position un-hull-down rather than in a worse position but hull-down, if that makes sense.

Although you might want to go read Colonel T's last DAR before you take armor advice from me...
Quote this message in a reply
04-24-2008, 08:57 AM,
I know exactly what you mean! I've had an experience where I had two tanks together: 1 tank in the open, the other Hull-down - The craziest thing, (and the obvious one at that..) you would have thought the Hull-Down position would have saved that sorry SOB, but nooooooooo Direct hit, luck of the Irish! The damn tank in the open reacted to this and decimated the crap out of the firing opposition!

I think it has to do with luck/speed at times, and the mere fact that anything could happen when AP rounds are traveling at you...

-

Although, I have had some great luck with hull down, and foliage, foliage and rough have saved me more so than anything else...Obstructions...Meh, they do the job temporarily, but I love that natural terrain...it does the trick!
04-24-2008, 12:27 PM,
I've heard that if the turret armor is thinner than the hull armor, it may be better NOT to be hulldown, as the enemy will be hitting the hull at times, but if hulldown he will only aim at the turret. I'd still rather be hulldown though, and a smaller target.
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
04-24-2008, 03:41 PM,
Yes I do tend to play the Russians more times then not.
Another way to see where Hulldown will occur is to use the LOS line to find the crest in the hill. Where you lose LOS will be where hulldown approximately is. This is all relative as well, because the distance that an enemy tank is from your tank determines hulldown. Other enemy tanks further away from your tank may negate your hulldown status as the angles of LOS change. You have to roll more over the crestline to see enamy tanks that are closer to you, but these far off enemy tanks can now see your whole tank.
04-25-2008, 03:04 AM,
Ratzki Wrote:Yes I do tend to play the Russians more times then not.
Another way to see where Hulldown will occur is to use the LOS line to find the crest in the hill. Where you lose LOS will be where hulldown approximately is. This is all relative as well, because the distance that an enemy tank is from your tank determines hulldown. Other enemy tanks further away from your tank may negate your hulldown status as the angles of LOS change. You have to roll more over the crestline to see enamy tanks that are closer to you, but these far off enemy tanks can now see your whole tank.

This is vital information: Especially when your enemy is atop higher-ground.

I had an odd feeling you were Ivan's friend! cheers
04-25-2008, 09:08 AM,
What gave it away?
04-25-2008, 01:50 PM,
Ratzki Wrote:What gave it away?

I don't know... A hunch? Big Grin

We should play some time Ratzki... cheers