• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Finding hull down positions.
04-23-2008, 01:00 AM,
Finding hull down positions.
It seems that every time I worry about trying to find a good hull-down position, I get completely wrecked. What is the best strategy when finding hull down?
Quote this message in a reply
04-23-2008, 02:17 AM,
RE: Finding hull down positions.
Best way I've found is to have a rough idea of where you want your armour to be, and facing what direction, and then simply to get down to ground level and see what it looks like.
04-23-2008, 02:30 AM,
That's what I usually do, ideally, I'd like to use that as a jump off point, or static position (depending on the situation), but it seems that once I hit hull-down I suck up more fire than I would moving.
04-23-2008, 03:28 AM,
The best thing to do is:

1) AVOID using the "seek hulldown" command, which is about as lame as "follow vehicle".
2) approach the enemy armor (which is already under observation by your infantry elsewhere) from behind a crest with your tank unbuttoned and on "hunt" - it will stop when the commander sees the enemy AFV and will be hulldown.
3) If your tank's commander has been killed don't use it anymore to try to fight other tanks. You'll most likely just get it knocked out. Move it where it can safely shell buildings or infantry instead.
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
04-23-2008, 03:35 AM,
That is a sound plan, thank you very much for that. I had put the "Seek Hull-down" command in question yesterday, and consequences were not so nice...

I will definitely attempt the "hunt" command more-so in event's like I had in one of my past turns.
04-23-2008, 03:50 AM,
Mental Note-Make sure to buy a sniper when ever playing DK or Enven.
he he he he
Lord Bane
04-23-2008, 03:55 AM,
The problem with the "SEEK HULLDOWN" and "HUNT" commands is that you are relying on the commander(the AI) to see the target before before he stops the vehicle. The SEEK HULDOWN is ok to use as a rough guide to where you think you want the tank to be but as stated above, you are better off fine tuning the hulldown position manually. I find the HUNT command as well, often leaves you in a poor position to fight. I would much rather move FAST to where I want the tank to be and then let it engage the enemy. During combat, you have to think of the tank's movement like a 3-way-toggle switch: there is only fast, stop, and reverse.
04-23-2008, 04:12 AM,
Do you prefer to play w/the soviets by any chance?
04-24-2008, 06:26 AM,
I'm with ratzki on this one
use gridded terrain mod by rocketman
pick hull down position which is easy with gridded terrain mod
drive to postion fast covered by other tanks/forces
"moveto contact" for the last little bit helps if you are unsure what is a hull down position
04-24-2008, 06:28 AM,
by "whatis hull down" I mean actually on map "where to end your move to achieve hull down"