• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Plea for an annual ladder
05-02-2008, 02:13 PM,
RE: Plea for an annual ladder
I'd really like to see this developed... I have wads of money to throw at it.

Cheers!

Leto
Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2008, 02:16 PM,
what can i do to make you throw wads of money at me? rub your feet? Throw a game or two?
05-03-2008, 12:04 AM,
I think the problem is that many of the guys who could get this going are already near the top of the all-time ladder or are not that interested in ladders anymore, so they have no real motivation to get it going. That's just the way it is - nothing against anyone.

The ones that would benefit the most from it would be new players, who we desperately need but who have the least influence.
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
05-03-2008, 12:57 AM,
I dont think that is the case... I think time is an issue. We dont have time to run it.

As its Jims site he wants the ladder to promote gaming. If he wanted an annual ladder he would have set it up initially.

That isnt going to change.

if you can find a way to record a monthly ladder then I'd be happy to let you have license with it and award a medal yearly.
05-03-2008, 01:06 AM,
They can do it using the filter.

They can filter by 3, 6 and 12 months. All one has to do is announce a start date an end date 1 year later.

Then they are off and running. It would be easy enough to do for those interested.

Thanx!

Hawk
05-03-2008, 01:15 AM,
Hawk Kriegsman Wrote:They can do it using the filter.

They can filter by 3, 6 and 12 months. All one has to do is announce a start date an end date 1 year later.

Then they are off and running. It would be easy enough to do for those interested.

Thanx!

Hawk

Sorry Hawk, I don't mean to prove you wrong, but... you're wrong.

The ELO filter is not set up so that we can view the ELO points generated over the last 3 months, 6 months, or 12 months. I'm not sure about the main points ladder, but either way, the main points ladder is nothing but a quantity not quality type ladder (no offense to those who are at the top of the ladder). That's fine and good if that is the Blitz's philosophy, but does not satisfy ladder whore's like Dave.

: )

Cheers!

Leto
05-03-2008, 01:26 AM,
[hirr Wrote:Leto]

The ELO filter is not set up so that we can view the ELO points generated over the last 3 months, 6 months, or 12 months. I'm not sure about the main points ladder, but either way, the main points ladder is nothing but a quantity not quality type ladder (no offense to those who are at the top of the ladder). That's fine and good if that is the Blitz's philosophy, but does not satisfy ladder whore's like Dave.

Cheers!

Leto

Well, no I am not wrong. Slightly wrong perhaps.

The time filters work for everything but ELO. So I am about 95% correct.

The ELO calculation is based on all games played verses all opponents. It has no time factor built into it.

I think you could certainly run a number of fine competitions other than ELO.

Thanx!

Hawk
05-03-2008, 01:32 AM,
Hawk Kriegsman Wrote:

Cheers!

Leto

Well, no I am not wrong. Slightly wrong perhaps.

The time filters work for everything but ELO. So I am about 95% correct.

The ELO calculation is based on all games played verses all opponents. It has no time factor built into it.

I think you could certainly run a number of fine competitions other than ELO.

Thanx!

Hawk

I was only speaking to the ELO ladder that Dave was suggesting, and yes, you are 100% wrong on that point, as you yourself have pointed out.

I agree, that other different data sorting methods could be used to enhance the experience at the blitz, such as win's, win % or even ladder points. My number one ladder is the ELO ladder, as I think its the best ranking method that the statistical package at the blitz does have.

I'll support any other ideas if the main ladder cannot be changed, and for good reason (lots of time to do it).

Cheers!

Leto
05-03-2008, 01:38 AM,
I was only speaking to the ELO ladder that Dave was suggesting, and yes, you are 100% wrong on that point, as you yourself have pointed out.

Fair enough. I was looking at the request in it's totality.

Quote:I agree, that other different data sorting methods could be used to enhance the experience at the blitz, such as win's, win % or even ladder points.

Good!

Quote:My number one ladder is the ELO ladder, as I think its the best ranking method that the statistical package at the blitz does have.

CT stated he is good with programing I believe. I know the ELO is based on the Chess Ranking system. May a few hours of his time and an excel spreadsheet may allow for ELO. Not the greatest method I know, but could do in a pinch.

Quote:I'll support any other ideas if the main ladder cannot be changed, and for good reason (lots of time to do it).

Thanks for that.

Hawk
05-03-2008, 01:47 AM,
Hawk Kriegsman Wrote:CT stated he is good with programing I believe. I know the ELO is based on the Chess Ranking system. May a few hours of his time and an excel spreadsheet may allow for ELO. Not the greatest method I know, but could do in a pinch.

I can do something like that. but unless there will be links to it from the blitz ladder page, it will just be "daves ELO ladder", which I am not interested in making something like that. Now if blitz leadership says, make something up and we will consider putting a link to it from the ladder page, then I will get started.

IMO, this is the same problem with the 6-month, 12-month filter. If it is just "DKs annual ladder" it doesnt carry much weight. If blitz leadership will make it official - a link from the ladder page is what would be considered official to me - then I am sure there would be more interest.