• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Plea for an annual ladder
04-21-2008, 04:17 AM,
Plea for an annual ladder
I would like to make another request at this time for an annual ladder system that would keep the new guys interested in this game. Right now the default view of our ladder is "all time score". This default "all time score" favors the old timers who learned about this game at its first release and have been playing it every since. This is very discouraging to new players, when they calculate that they would have to play 5 years 30 games at a time to hope to get near the top.

An annual ladder default view would solve that. In addition to a Pilus Prior award for all time ladder leader, medals could be given out "Pilus prior 2008" and such, and even retro awarded back to the site's beginning. This would "reset" everything to zero each year just as football team starts 0-0 each year and add a lot of interest.

Other medals could be "Highest ELO 2008", "New Member of the Year 2008", "Longest Win Streak 2008" etc. This way no matter how bad you did in one year you could go for next years medals.

This would not subtract at all from the old timers as you could have all time medals for the same categories and could still view the alltime ladder.

I would be glad to volunteer for any extra work that would need to be done if I knew what to do. I think this would greatly increase interest in this site and new players which is what we need.
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
Quote this message in a reply
04-21-2008, 04:33 AM,
RE: Plea for an annual ladder
Ok... I will have a word with Raz and see how much work would be involved in this.
04-21-2008, 04:40 AM,
I like this idea. I think it would be a lot of work though. But if DK is willing to do the work.... It could also make for some real interesting horse races at the end of the year! IMO, I say adopt it.

Lord Bane
04-21-2008, 05:23 AM,
I second that. The default ladder should be the yearly ladder IMHO, in both normal ladder and ELO scores.

I think it will encourage more people to play on the ladders. A monthly top 10 and other highlighted reports may also be favorable.

Cheers!

Leto
04-21-2008, 06:01 AM,
I would definitely favor an annual ladder, but I would also keep the all-time ladder. No reason you couldn't have both.
"A bad plan is still better than no plan at all." -- Mikhail Tal

[Image: pzV.jpg]
04-21-2008, 06:16 AM,
I agree as well. Annual ladder and all time
04-21-2008, 06:52 AM,
You all do know you can sort the ladder by 12, 6 and 3 months already right?

Thanx!

Hawk
04-21-2008, 07:20 AM,
Yeah but I think they want it from a fixed date for 1 year. Then it gets reset so they can judge who the best player was over the last 12 months.
04-21-2008, 08:19 AM,
Yeah that's the idea. It's been floated before....with the concept that a fixed date ending would lead to a crescendo of game-playing as the top contenders competed to get their games done and take the prize for 2008 or 2009 etc.
04-21-2008, 08:38 AM,
I think Hawk has nailed it. If you want to see the annual ladder, just set the ladder to read over the past 12 months ...